D6 Online 3.0

[D6 Space] Power in the 'Verse OOC

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good catch Kal (from a math nerd who enjoys numerical accuracy). But this brings to mind another question. Do they use the metric system in the 'Verse? I know they use it in Star Wars ("The target area is only two meters wide."). It's Monday morning and I haven't had my coffee yet, but for the life of me I can't remember if they use metric measures in the 'Verse from watching the episodes or movie recently. I have a vague memory of a mention of the word "mile" or "miles" but maybe my mind is making that up. Maybe they use both in the 'Verse?

I don't know what's more depressing, a future where Earth was used up, or a future where archaic conventional measures are still being used? :cool:

I think they have both - the Blue Hands in "The Train Job" made reference to not having travelled eighty-six million miles over a box of band-aids, but I think that the Alliance military tends to use meters or kilometers in their dialogue, so it seems it's a lot like the present...

Name: Madison Kaltan

Height: 5’10 Weight: 124 Lbs Sex: Female Race: Human

Hair: Slightly Curly Dirty blond hair to shoulders

Eyes: Blue

Captain of the “Blackbird “

[snip]

She worked as a pilot until she turned 27 and decided it was time to buy her own ship. She saved money whenever she could and set out to buy a ship. She quickly found that a ship costs more money then she had.

A member of a crime syndicate overheard her conversation with someone about his situation and set her up to meet his boss, a crime boss who could lend her the money she needed.

Being Naive she borrowed the money and bought herself a ship, a Firefly class ship painted black which she named “Blackbird”.

She and her crew take whatever job they can (short of human trafficking, which Madison refuses to do in order to make money to pay her crew and pay off her debt.

Equipment:

Fancy Clothes

Plain Clothes

Blaster: 5d6

Ship (The Blackbird)

Objective: The get out of debt and totally be on her own

Personality: Madison is a friendly person, but reacts poorly to people who treat her like she is an idiot. She treats her crew like family, but can get down to business and be serious when need be

So, is Kaltan just lying to Spaulding for the sake of pride? He's already mentioned running the crews financial and criminal records on the Cortex before settling on the Blackbird. He knows how much she's in debt. Did you forget that, or is Kaltan trying to save face?

So, is Kaltan just lying to Spaulding for the sake of pride? He's already mentioned running the crews financial and criminal records on the Cortex before settling on the Blackbird. He knows how much she's in debt. Did you forget that, or is Kaltan trying to save face?

She doesnt owe him the truth and she doesnt completly trust him. The crews real situation is none of his business

I'm sure he'll let it pass. He's a gentleman, and would never give such grave offense to a lady or the Captain of a vessel he was travelling upon... Not like he can call you a liar, anyway, since he lied to you about who he was when he came aboard. Well, he could, but any indignation would be hypocrisy...

I'm sure he'll let it pass. He's a gentleman, and would never give such grave offense to a lady or the Captain of a vessel he was travelling upon... Not like he can call you a liar, anyway, since he lied to you about who he was when he came aboard. Well, he could, but any indignation would be hypocrisy...

He could also find himself thrown off the ship if he does that as well. She is not against abandoning him right where he is. It's her ship, her rules. Like it or get off

He could also find himself thrown off the ship if he does that as well. She is not against abandoning him right where he is. It's her ship, her rules. Like it or get off

Could make a short game for you, though. You'd be back to scrounging for jobs in no time... which is certainly feasible, if you don't want to get into any thrillin' heroics...

Could make a short game for you, though. You'd be back to scrounging for jobs in no time... which is certainly feasible, if you don't want to get into any thrillin' heroics...

Even though players can be said to be co-writers of a game's story, there is stilll a general plot devised by the GM. Sorry to metagame here a bit, but I think it's safe to say that the Dr. Spaulding is somehow a very important part of the plot, where we have an opportunity to rise to level of big damn heroes like the crew of Serenity did in the movie. Yeah, I'm trying to play my character somewhat realisiticly as a bit skeptical and distrusting too (and perhaps even colored by past experiences with the old man's reputation that few know about). But sometimes you as a player just has to find a reason for your character to go long with the plot. Not that Lee is not a good enough GM to take it in a totally different direction if we do as a players, but this is a big damn interesting plot centered around Spaulding.

Here's how it is...

You could go another way, but then a group of NPCs will find out all of the things that you'll find out on this "expedition" and you'll be the guys that could have been those Big Damn Heroes but weren't. The 'Verse has plenty of opportunities, but the one guy that can change everything? The smoking gun? Thin on the ground, as they say.

Let me give you some concepts that your characters might have wondered at over the past two months. Why test Pax on Miranda? It was at the very edge of the 'Verse, and the Pax was used before the Unification War started. Why those people? Why that planet? Why, when the Independents were trying to settle things in Parliament, did the Alliance go on the offensive in 2506? Is it coincidence that Miranda died and the war was born the very same year? Are there answers to these questions? If a Reaver could be "cured" would he have the answers?

But if Captain Kaltan wants to be rid of Spaulding, then passenger and crew would need to decide how to proceed, of course. Emmett seems to be settling into a "bodyguard" role. It'd be tougher to run one crew doing one thing and one crew doing another, but hardly impossible...

It'll go how it goes. It's a game thing, so you do what you do, and I'll let you know what happens to you... Simulation of life, as it were.

Even though players can be said to be co-writers of a game's story, there is stilll a general plot devised by the GM. Sorry to metagame here a bit, but I think it's safe to say that the Dr. Spaulding is somehow a very important part of the plot, where we have an opportunity to rise to level of big damn heroes like the crew of Serenity did in the movie. Yeah, I'm trying to play my character somewhat realisiticly as a bit skeptical and distrusting too (and perhaps even colored by past experiences with the old man's reputation that few know about). But sometimes you as a player just has to find a reason for your character to go long with the plot. Not that Lee is not a good enough GM to take it in a totally different direction if we do as a players, but this is a big damn interesting plot centered around Spaulding.

Whill makes a fair point. Of course you all are the co-writers of the story. The story is ultimately about you, the characters. It is also about the circumstances that you encounter, and how you cope, endure, and overcome adversity. If this was based on Lord of the Rings, and all of you decided at the Council of Elrond that the idea of going into Mordor to destroy the One Ring is impossible folly and decide to all go adventure in the Shire, well, you're all doing something, but is it the story of ordinary people in extraordinary events?

Not so much.

The choices are yours, in the end. I'm not here to railroad you. I'm trying to take you places where you'll have adventures; where Madison can reveal the tough but fair leader within her, where Kagome can fly that ship through a tangle of Reaver raiders and Alliance warships locked in deadly battle, where Emmett can try to find the justice that he believed in before he learned about Miranda, and where Jimmy can find out who he is - and what he's capable of when all the marbles are up for grabs.

So, if you're not liking that as a possibility, then probably there needs to be a dialogue. This isn't a game about working on a freighter and hauling cargo, really, any more than Firefly and Serenity were. It's about people trying to get by, and ultimately ending up doing much more, because it's the right thing to do. Not the easy thing. Not the convenient thing. The thing that needs to be done, and that fate has put them in the unique position of being able to accomplish. In the end, the crew of Serenity changed the 'Verse. Whether that was for better or for worse is now up to you...

((Okay, everyone; not wanting to lead you by the noses, but I figure if you're settled on finding Doctor Chen and doing the deal with Sergeant Stillman, it makes the most sense to take advantage of the riots to hit the ground and find the Doctor, then wait to hear from Stillman - he's military, so he wouldn't be impacted by a curfew - he can come by and visit once his squad is done on Riot Control Duty. So, if that's the consensus, let's plan out how to get Chen safely to the ship, assuming that he may have been captured, or if not that very bad men might be closing in on him...))

Welcome, Browncoats, to the new home of the "Power in the 'Verse" campaign! Hopefully we'll be able to jump right back in with no issues.

We're currently waiting for Emmett to send a message to Doctor Chen, and once that's done Emmett, Jimmy, and Kagome are heading out to the riot-torn streets to rescue the Doctor (if he's on Ariel) and get him back to the Blackbird.

Later, Sergeant Stillman will make an offer on the rifles, and tomorrow (or today, if you want to send Jessup) you can do some shopping - you've been resupplied by the TRD ground crews, but they tend to make sure that you've got the protein bars in every color of the rainbow, the Blue Sun version of MREs in taste-enhancing freeze-dried foil pouches, drinking water, and so on - if you want something that actually tastes good you might want to hit a market or two.

After that you should be ready to fly out into the Black. But I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. You all have a busy day (and night) ahead of you...

This interactive experience brought to you by

bluesunthumbnail.gif

Live Life with Blue Sun!

Edited by Lee Torres
Got to keep the sponsors happy...

We're currently waiting for Emmett to send a message to Doctor Chen, and once that's done Emmett, Jimmy, and Kagome are heading out to the riot-torn streets to rescue the Doctor (if he's on Ariel) and get him back to the Blackbird.

I've got a post in mind, but just want to make sure we're all settled back in before I proceed.

Jamfke, I just wanted to say that I would really love to play in this game, but I shouldn't. I have seen your games on the Pit and think you would be a good Star Wars GM.

But now I am in a Serenity D6 pbp game here, and I am also about to get into a live table-top Star Wars D6 game. I'm currently planning my own next campaign at the same time as my personal revised edition of the game. And of course my wife and I have a new baby due to arrive in August.

I hope you all have fun in this game. I'm sure it will be a good one.

I know what you mean, Whill. Since the "World Gone Mad" game was kinda hitting a crossroads, I decided to drop it in favor of Star Wars. (Apologies to Kal/Lee, but Star Wars > all) \sw\

I know what you mean, Whill. Since the "World Gone Mad" game was kinda hitting a crossroads, I decided to drop it in favor of Star Wars. (Apologies to Kal/Lee, but Star Wars > all) \sw\

I agree, but you are staying in the Serenity game, right?

No apology necessary - just try not to get into so many Star Wars games that you have to drop out of "Power in the 'Verse" because if all my players head off to a galaxy far, far away, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears.

We get enough good Star Wars games on this here board, come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all... :D

No apology necessary - just try not to get into so many Star Wars games that you have to drop out of "Power in the 'Verse" because if all my players head off to a galaxy far, far away, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears.

We get enough good Star Wars games on this here board, come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all... :D

I aim to misbehave.