D6 Online 3.0

Damage: Staging instead of Wild Die

Wow,

been quite a while since I've posted. Anyway, I had a thought that maybe when calculating damage, remove the Wild Die option and instead go with something akin to Staging (ala Shadowrun). The idea is that for every Difficulty Stage ABOVE the target number you need, add +1 pip to the damage roll. This removes the possibility of botching on a damage roll and 'rewards' that oh-so-beyond-heroic "1 shot in a million" hit. It also means that higher Skill codes are actually that much more deadly (sort of that cinematic ideal of aces really ARE better). This also removes some potential bogging down of the game.

Just a thought...

It works.

Granted, I didn't remove the Wild Die from the equation (there can still be "exploding" numbers or reducing numbers), but I did include a +1 to damage for every 3 points the skill roll was higher than the difficulty/the opposed roll. It certainly put emphasis on those with higher skills. Made archers quite deadly, actually.

So I can confirm that this works.

I've been playing with ignoring Wild Die completely on damage rolls, but keeping them during Soak rolls. That aside, the way to "increase" damage might be based around how much higher the opposed roll of a successful attack might be vs. the dodge. like an attack of 23 vs. a dodge of 13. 10 Higher, so on some table it effects final Damage with XXX. This is always very tricky... Man I love the wild die.

I like keeping the Wild Die for both damage and soak rolls. Combat should be chaotic and intense and a bit scary even for high-level characters, and the Wild Die helps with that. With CPs, players can mitigate (or even null) its effects, anyway, so it lessens the risk of losing a character to an unlucky roll.

I believe this should work fine, IF it works as much like Savage Worlds as I think it does. I don't understand the reasoning for removing the Wild Die from damage though - could you elaborate on why you feel the need for this? Isn't "Result Points" and their final damage yield already part of most D6 rules, that still include the Wild Die?

I believe this should work fine, IF it works as much like Savage Worlds as I think it does. I don't understand the reasoning for removing the Wild Die from damage though - could you elaborate on why you feel the need for this?

This comes from my own experience playing, but it really sucks having blown the dude away with the strike, and botching on damage. Sure, its possible that soaking will still get the same result, its just really annoying. Its just an idea to speed combat along (and reward high skills beyond what the rules currently have...make it more cinematic).

So it's not removing the Wild Die that's the key, it's making sure the damage for solid/accurate hits are significant enough to very likely insure at least some lasting injury, and you're removing the Wild Die as a self-imposed cost of implementing that? I can understand that then. If you use Result Points though, and you're wanting to make sure to model accurate hits as being something to be feared, why not just keep things as-is for the rest of your idea without removing the WD? Or even have RP be worth twice as much or increase a whole die, so even 4 above TN would give you not an extra +1 but an extra +1D, which can still roll 1, but can also hit 6, making it superior in performance to static bonuses, especially if you remove the Wild Die.