D6 Online 3.0

Sadly there are no plans for an OGL of the D6 Powers book.

This is dissapointing news. Having D6 Powers as an OGL product would have been a invaluable addition to the Open D6 arsenal.

On a side note, does Khepera Publishing have anything in the pipeline that will be released under Open D6? And finally, is there any chance that Hellas will see a D6 edition in the future?

Thanks! :D

For what it is worth, we have a superhero world being co-authored by Jennifer Lee (long time gamer and author... most of her credits are in fiction, but she has also written a couple of game products although mostly relating to vampires), and Bob Greenwade (who has done some authoring for Hero Games). We are hoping to have a version be compatible with d6 Powers, but I'm waiting to talk to Jerry about it for when it is closer to being ready.

William

For what it is worth, we have a superhero world being co-authored by Jennifer Lee (long time gamer and author... most of her credits are in fiction, but she has also written a couple of game products although mostly relating to vampires), and Bob Greenwade (who has done some authoring for Hero Games). We are hoping to have a version be compatible with d6 Powers, but I'm waiting to talk to Jerry about it for when it is closer to being ready.

William

This sounds cool! :gl:

Will this be published under Open D6? If so, with it being compatible with D6 Powers, will that pose a problem with this product being OGL and Powers not?

This is disappointing news. Having D6 Powers as an OGL product would have been an invaluable addition to the Open D6 arsenal.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I appreciate the high opinion of D6 Powers:)

D6 Powers is still usable/compatible with any OGL D6 Product and I have no problem with anyone refereeing to the contents of the book. If someone wanted to publish their game content and use the D6 Powers book as their engine I’m perfectly fine with that but making the book available for free would make sales of the D6 Powers books suffer.

On a side note, does Khepera Publishing have anything in the pipeline that will be released under Open D6? And finally, is there any chance that Hellas will see a D6 edition in the future?

I have a couple of projects I’d like to publish when I have the time

A fantasy world Hy-Brazyl (think Poke Mon/Dragon Riders of Pern/ Stephen King’s the Mist)

A post apoc called Terra Oblivion (think Hawkmoon/GODSEND Agenda/ Appleseed/Arc7)

And another fantasy project being fashioned by a writer I know. I cant talk about this one but it’s a very neat concept

As for HELLAS D6 it won’t happen. In order for HELLAS to work I had to add a lot of sub-systems to the basic game and that made it too unwieldy. My philosophy with the D6 system is to make it quick and simple and the HELLAS version was bloated. When the system is shaved down to its lean fighting weight it works like a champ but what I had was Jabba the Hutt.

The good news is that a lot of the mechanics that worked are going into Hy-Brazyl and Terra Oblivion. The next game book I release will be built upon all the stuff I’ve learned since publishing GODSEND Agenda. It will be (hopefully) a sleek, sexy, amalgam of everything I’ve learned since my adventures in publishing started back in 2002.

Will this be published under Open D6? If so, with it being compatible with D6 Powers, will that pose a problem with this product being OGL and Powers not?

I don’t see why it would. If he decided to make his content open mine will still be closed.

He can’t make my stuff OGL by mentioning it in his books.

Out of curiosity what are you looking to do Magnus?

I have a few different projects I would like to try with Open D6:

The first is a project I had been developing for the 4C System, but my players did not seem to care for the game mechanics, so I am now looking at D6. The general idea is to offer a setting that is set in modern day America, but offers all the trappings normally found in the old pulp adventures. The players will create low powered "gifted" heroes who are regular joes when the game starts, but quickly find their "gift" and realize that the world needs them. They will be less four colored heroes, and more akin to costumed adventurers. The setting has a kitchen sink approach that offers everything from government and corporate conspiracy to seedy street level mob bashing to battling dark Lovecraftian forces to adventures in the hollow earth and lots more.

I would also love to convert a setting I have developed for Castles & Crusades over to D6. It is a far future sword & sorcery setting with heavy Lovecraftian elements. It is a grim and brutal game that required me to bend the C&C framework to its breaking point to make work, and I am curious to see how D6 handles it.

Finally, I have been itching to develop a serious post-apocalyptic setting. I have been watching a show called The Colony on the Discovery Channel, and I also read The Road again recently, so I am in the mood. But the trick is I just have to find a way to make this type of grim "survive if you can" kind of setting fun and playable.

...The general idea is to offer a setting that is set in modern day America, but offers all the trappings normally found in the old pulp adventures. The players will create low powered "gifted" heroes who are regular joes when the game starts, but quickly find their "gift" and realize that the world needs them. They will be less four colored heroes, and more akin to costumed adventurers. The setting has a kitchen sink approach that offers everything from government and corporate conspiracy to seedy street level mob bashing to battling dark Lovecraftian forces to adventures in the hollow earth and lots more.

Those work well, but try not to overdo it. Too much tends to blur and make the setting not unique enough.

Unless your players like it that way, of course.

Finally, I have been itching to develop a serious post-apocalyptic setting. I have been watching a show called The Colony on the Discovery Channel, and I also read The Road again recently, so I am in the mood. But the trick is I just have to find a way to make this type of grim "survive if you can" kind of setting fun and playable.

Conveying the mood on postapocalyptic settings is not always easy with some players.

Food, water, shelter, and illness are good limits to impose, and so players don't overload their players with weapons and armor ignoring more mundane but critical supplies.

As a suggestion I often use, even in games not needing them, is that each character needs 2 liters of water, 3 kilograms of food, and four to six hours of sleep each day, or they begin receiving negative mods.

And roaming gangs to scavenge and loot, of course :D