D6 Online 3.0

Septimus - Erratta et Addenda (unofficial)

Lubidius

Ok. Let's face the fact, nothing is perfect (though so far this is a darn good core book!) If you find something that needs clarification or is in error / contradiction, let's keep it all in one spot. Admins, if this is fruitful, perhaps sticky it. Not until it shows results though I'd say.

More soon.... still chugging through the text.

As Rosencrantz pointed out, when reading the character creation chapter, it seems to infer that you have a set number of dice to spend on various things, but it does not state that or give any suggested guidelines. Is it the standard 18d divided as desired or are there options that are assigned priority like in the Shadowrun system?

As a side note though, I have been enjoying reading it and overall Bill did a great job on the book. I offer many kudos to you good fellow. :gl:

So far I have not found anywhere in the text where Character Point expenditure for improvements are explained. There is mention in the Boon and Bane section of the Characters chapter regarding being able to take a Bane level to gain a Boon level; but that is one of the only sections I've found that mentions expending anything to gain something else. Also, I can find nowhere where the total number of D available for adding to skills for a character is explained. I'm getting the impression that they intended for readers to start from template and adjust. If I'm miss-reading or missing a paragraph somewhere, please correct me!

I've sent a private message to Bill to see if he can explain it more clearly. It is as if it's missing a Priorities reference table, like Rosencrantz originally brought up; which shows what you get to "spend" based upon which of the 4 categories of character options you give priority to :

Skill dice, Boons & Banes, Corruption and Resources.

I hope it's as simple as one missing table they can post as erratta somewhere on site. I'm actually really digging that prioritization, now if only we can know what that prioritization actually gives :) Its a nice dynamic.

I took a peak at some of the templates they have in the back and tried to see any logic with them, but came up empty. I thought maybe they were using some alteration of D6 Space character creation rules, but I couldn't see it. One thought was maybe they wanted you to use a template in the back as a default base and alter it as needed. But again, no rules saying as such.

Something is definately missing.

I tried the same, and it looks relatively consistent that Attributes are set at 18D starting point. It's after that fact that there must be a certain number of creation points set for your 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th priority based upon the categories of Skill Dice, Boons & Banes, Corruption and Resources; but we are missing a cypher. I'm sure it's a simple algorythm but I couldn't backwards engineer it properly (yet). I'll wait as "my brain hurts" (Monty Python)

Regarding "Steel Helix". I see mention many times of a catastrophe regarding it, but I don't see where it is actually defined. I assume it to be a network? Perhaps I missed an important mention of it, but I've searched through the book several times and I don't see where it is introduced. Also, "ZPG". I assume through context with Steel Helix that this was a corrupting agent that attacked "Steel Helix"; but I don't see where it is originally defined.

Edited by Lubidius

I am assuming that they changed some names around from the initial quick start guide they released over a year ago. But in the quick start Steel Helix was called Iron Helix. I have to assume these two are the one and same.

In the guide, Iron Helix was a code name used for a military operation formed in the freezone area to destroy all of the persona's within the Steel Dream.

The attack wasn't a complete success nor failure. It did scatter three of the persona's out of seven into the mainframe where they became detached from The Extends control and developed independent identities.

I have yet to read all of the material in the new Septimus manual, but if it really isn't mentioned anywhere, my question goes to Bill / Eric.

Are there sections that failed to make it into the initial release that should have been included?

From the notes that Bill has, how much of it didn't make it into the book?

.....I have yet to read all of the material in the new Septimus manual, but if it really isn't mentioned anywhere, my question goes to Bill / Eric.

Are there sections that failed to make it into the initial release that should have been included?

From the notes that Bill has, how much of it didn't make it into the book?

Don't think of it as material that didn't make it into the book, think of it as the basis for future supplements and sourcebooks. ;)

Hope not, because the Iron Helix is thrown around a lot on some of those pages describing the cities section and the historical background for the Extent. Silly not too include the full story for it when it is such an inportant part of the back drop. That one event drastically shaped billions of people and how the Extent conducts their rule. That single event rewrote the history of the sphere and how everything exist.

Also, ZPG seems to be some type of virus/biological gas? which has nothing mentioned about it except for a password sentence or two.

Need the info.....guys

On the topic of Steel Helix, there are a couple quotes on page 23 that hint directly to it. There is one sentence that states 'it was seen as a massive systems failure..' then same page, right column, it mentions 'Steel Helix so severely damaged the world's technology.." And it is also referenced generally in the left column as "The Corruption". But in this case a corruption that the force behind the Extent used to it's advantage to attempt a Utopian society.

----

Regardless of the flaws we've found, this is a darn good setting and rpg book. I have to take the time and shout a hearty bravo. Seriously, I could easily see this as a line of fiction or on the big screen.

Bill, I hope you have the intention of possibly writing fiction for this setting in addition to contributing to source books.

Should we consider the Introduction from the quickstart guide as fully inclusive in the setting? I actually think there is some good background in the quickstart intro that when correlated with the full version's background, starts to make things line up ; but as Magman hinted, a few things are incongruent. I'm not going to make a huge correlation list, but I think that if an erratta does not come out officially, perhaps unofficially we can re-write the quickstart introduction to snap into place continuity wise? I'm going to hold off doing anything of that nature until we hear back on the individual items and questions we've already cited.

If we could get Eric or Bill to comment to clear this up, that would be awesome!

Whatever the reason guys, we just would like to hear your position on the matter. Whether it be a screw up or how it was actually written, we just like to know.

Before we try and start puzzling things together from various sources, I would like to know if we even need too as you might already have these answers for us.

Agreed... In interim, here is how I plan on doing character point based creation.

Septimus Character Creation By "Creation Points" (Unofficial)

- Based primarily upon the D6 Space OGL as provided by WEG.

Section 1 - Character Point Method Of Character Creation:

1.0 Total Character Creation Points = 79. (Adjust higher or lower to GM preference.*)

1.1 One attribute die equals four creation points.

1.2 One skill die equals one creation point.

1.3 One "corruption buffer" point equals one creation point.

1.4 One level of Boon equals one creation point.

1.5 One level of Bane provides one creation point back to you.

1.6 One level of nanotech equals one creation point.

1.7 One level of genotech equals one creation point.

1.8 Note: As levels of nanotech and genotech are applied, equal levels of corruption occur. If you've allotted corruption buffer points via section 1.3 above, then that buffer will help you to stay at lower levels of overall corruption by the time your character has been fully created. If you do not have enough buffer to account for any added corruption from nanotech or genotech application, then your character will end up with positive levels of corruption at the start of the game; mark that corruption level accordingly on your sheet, and also cross-reference the chart on corruption in the Septimus rules to make sure you do not entail any strange effects*.

1.9 For sections 1.3 through 1.7, the GM should set limits based on preference. The player should always check with the GM before character creation to determine any maximum levels they might wish to impose on creation point expenditure.

1.10 Mins and maxes of attributes and starting skill levels can be GM preference or the levels mentioned in Septimus or D6 Space OGL.

1.10.1 Suggestion for attributes is Minimum of 2D and Maximum of 5D.

1.10.2 Suggestion is no more then 3D added to a given skill upon character creation.

1.11 The use of Creation Points to create characters supercedes Priorities as described in Septimus.

1.12 The addition of the Metaphysics Boon (at desired level) allows for allotments of D to the Metaphysics skills Channel, Sense, and Transform. You must allot an appropriate number of character creation points to the Metaphysics Boon to obtain D levels in Metaphysics skills. Character creation points may not be directly used during character creation to boost Metaphysics skills in any other way then via the Metaphysics Boon levels. As suggested in 1.10.2, the same maximum of "3D" is suggested per Metaphysics skill upon character creation.

*Septimus and D6 Space are trademarks of West End Games and subsidiary property owners. Buy their products to show your support of OpenD6.*

Edited by Lubidius

It took me a bit to figure out what you guys were talking about because I kept looking at a different file.

There was indeed a priorities chart and it was certain forgotten in the softcover (which was subsequently uploaded as the PDF). Apparently, I moved the chart "off pasteboard" and forgot to reinsert it. I also noticed another design flaw in the paperback as well which I need to fix.

Below is the chart.

<Table>
<TR>
<TD>Choice Order</TD>
<TD>Meta Dice</TD>
<TD>Skill Dice</TD>
<TD>Boons and Banes</TD>
<TD>Corruption Buffer</TD>
<TD>Resources</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>First</TD>
<TD>6D</TD>
<TD>11D</TD>
<TD>4/0</TD>
<TD>16 Points</TD>
<TD>5D</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>Second</TD>
<TD>3D</TD>
<TD>9D</TD>
<TD>3/1</TD>
<TD>8 Points</TD>
<TD>4D</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>Third</TD>
<TD>0D</TD>
<TD>7D</TD>
<TD>2/2</TD>
<TD>4 points</TD>
<TD>3D</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>Fourth</TD>
<TD>0D</TD>
<TD>5D</TD>
<TD>1/3</TD>
<TD>0 Points</TD>
<TD>2D</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>Fifth</TD>
<TD>0D</TD>
<TD>3D</TD>
<TD>0/4</TD>
<TD>-4 Points</TD>
<TD>1D</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>

((.... this forum is not formating basic HTML correctly. Anyone know why? Can anyone fix?))

At any rate. I'll be fixing the PDF which you'll all be able to re-download. The hardcover doesn't appear to have THIS issue, as I think I did it when I was relaying out everything. I haven't actually see the hardcover yet, but the files for it are ok.

For those of you with the softcover, there is not much I can say. I'll have the corrected page up on the site asap for download (free of course). I'm very sorry for this problem.

If ANYONE finds any more errors, especially such grave errors as this, please let me know as you find them.

- I assume when you prioritize Meta Dice as 1st priority, that you obtain the "Master Metaphysics" for free. (which if you review the Boons chapter, gives 6D Meta Dice)

- By that token I also assume if you place Meta Dice as 2nd priority, that you obtain "Minor Metaphysics" for free. (" " .. gives you 3D Meta Dice).

- Then you obtain banes and boons additionally, based on the subsequent priority you give that category.

I REALLY like the priority system. It adds a good "feel" to the game.

Edited by Lubidius