D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
imported_Magman

Your MP3 Collection

I converted all my cds (over 500) to mp3s. Then I gave them all away to friends. So much more room this way. I am considering doing the same with my 400 dvds and placing them all a mutlmedia network.

I converted all my cds (over 500) to mp3s. Then I gave them all away to friends. So much more room this way. I am considering doing the same with my 400 dvds and placing them all a mutlmedia network.

Arr, matey! :cool:

Shame on you. :(

Just a little friendly nudge here...everyone has differing opinions regarding file sharing and such, even amongst friends. So rather than getting into the discussion of the moral and ethic grounds of it, please either stick to the topic or I'll have to close this thread down.

Understand, but who mentioned File Sharing? Not I.

A multimedia receiving if a device you buy so you can play your Mp3 collection and images/dvd on your TV set. Has nothing to do with the internet and file sharing?

I converted all my cds (over 500) to mp3s. Then I gave them all away to friends.

I originally read that as you shared the mp3s with friends. But now I think you may have meant that you gave the original CDs away to friends after copying them (converting the cda tracks to mp3 files)... Not quite the same thing, I guess. Sorry for my confusion, Mag.

Just a little friendly nudge here...everyone has differing opinions regarding file sharing and such, even amongst friends. So rather than getting into the discussion of the moral and ethic grounds of it, please either stick to the topic or I'll have to close this thread down.

Yes, sir.

It is fine Whill, just don't want people thinking I am some some copying MP3 freak. Just wanted to clarrify things before things sunk in.

Yes I gave all my CD's away, not the MP3's. :)

I got my multimedia server yesterday and hooked everything up. It is very nice. It scans your network and finds all the images, videos and music and places them all in categories. There is a internet feature so you can stream rss, youtube videos, music and an asortment of other online services to your TV. I am currently ripping some DVD's in trying to develope the faster but most acceptable quality rip I can.

Of course I wasn't happy just here. I spent some more money from tiger direct to increase my network to gigabyte speed, a 16 port switch and a 1.5 tb hard drive to store everything on.

This is becoming an expensive toy. :)

Why shame on me ?

Just to clarify:

As for the "shame on you" sentance, please read it as tongue-in-cheek as I intended it to be.

The matter comes down to this and most people are not aware of the fact:

You have a right to alter the format of your purchased items (unless there is a "license" expressly forbidding it) as a media translation. As such, you have EVERY right to convert your music to MP3, as well as back them up for safety and archival purposes. However, you may ONLY keep those copies if you retain possession of the original or if the original is destroyed (in the case of back-ups). If you transfer possession of ANY copyrighted material you MUST either transfer ALL copies and formats to the new owner, or insure that all copies and media translations are destroyed. Thus, you cannot copy your CD to MP3, give away your CD and retain possession of your MP3 files.

This is just an explanation. I really don't give a hoot one way or the other and I certainly don't think for a second that anyone intended to support or promote illegal file sharing. That said, what you are doing (if I read your behavior correctly as: keeping the MP3 and giving away the CD) is ABSOLUTELY and explicitly file sharing in violation of copyrights and thus piracy. Again, I'm not trying to judge, I'm only explaining the law.

Here in Spain, piracy would be if you bought the CDs and then sold the mp3 files.

Basically, if there is no money gain, it's not piracy.

Unless we start talking about ships instead of CDs, of course. :D

I mentioned it before, and the subject came back. I'd rather not have talk about piracy as it always leads to someone getting bothered by it and an argument ensuing. I'm closing this thread.

Also I would like to add that discussions of Piracy is a violating of the forum rules. Rule number 9:

9. Posts that discuss illegal activities, piracy, transactions or websites such as warez, cracks, etc. will be removed. This includes the posting of information that you have illegally obtained.