D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Whill

So, what kind of music do you like?

Music is very important to me, but I'm very picky about the music I like. I'm more of an artist- and album-oriented person, than a song-oriented person.

As far as general genres I like, probably the winner of the genres would be classic rock. And by classic rock I mean true clasic rock: late 60's and 70's... NOT 80's.

My favorite band from this genre (and favorite band of yesteryear: not currently a band) is Led Zeppelin. Zeppelin rules!

From this genre, these rest of my faves are: The Doors, Black Sabbath, KISS, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Eagles, The Beatles, The Who, and The Grateful Dead.

My favorite modern rock is a band called Clutch (the Zeppelin and Sabbath of today).

My favorite modern rock artist is Izzy Stradlin.

I love the Black Crowes (mostly of 90's fame). My favorite bands from the 90's that are no more are Nirvana and Soundgarden.

I'm also a big fan of the band 311. I've seen them 18 times in concert, but I'm a bigger fan of their 90's music then this decade.

I also like Hip Hop, but mainly the classic giants of the industry: Beastie Boys, Ice Cube and Cypress Hill.

The other main category I get into is "Film Score", my favorite being John Williams (no surprise there). I collect movie soundtracks, especially of movies I love.

My wife and I actually saw John Williams in 2006 conduct our local symphony orchestra playing a great selection of movie classics. A highlight was him conducting the orchestra to play the "Indy's First Adventure" segment of Indiana Jones and the The Last Crusade live while it was playing silently on a giant screen that he was watching, in perfect synchronization to the movie events. "Imperial March (Vader's Theme)" and the "Main Star Wars Theme" were very powerful performed live! I admit I cried tears of joy for the Indy and Star Wars selections they performed.

So, what kind of music do you like? Who are your favorite musical artists/bands?

there isnt much i dont listen to, there is less i enjoy tho.

oi!, punk, hardcore, crust, grind core, most types of metal, most types of rock, psycobilly and latly iv started listening a whole lot to prog(progressive rock, the grand daddy of punk)

Lately I've been enjoying MGMT's Oracular Spectacular and the Islands Arm's Way. And I got The Flight of the Conchords for my comedy fix, it's hilarious.

Elwood: "What kind of music do you usually have here?"

Claire: "Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western."

Actually, I am not fond of either of those, I just like the quote. I mostly listen to Soundtracks and Instrumentals. Recently, I have mostly been listening to Hsu-Nami and Symphonika.

Show of hands, who has Satellite radio or online radio they subscribe too? Or one of the free radio stations.

I haven't listened to regular radio in over 10 years. I have Sirius XM since it came out, Rhapsody account, and then winamp when all else fails.

Never the radio though, I detest commercials

I also detest commercials, as well as the whole concept of listening to whatever someone else chooses for me to hear, instead of what I want to hear. But I can't say I never listen to the radio, because sometimes I'm in the car and don't have any new CDs with me. So I just flip through my programmed stations, starting with the main rock station that plays a lot of classic rock. When I flip through all my preset channels and don't find anything, then I usually park it on the Classical station, unless they're playing Opera which I hate.

I mostly listen to Soundtracks and Instrumentals.

Cool!

Show of hands, who has Satellite radio or online radio they subscribe too? Or one of the free radio stations

I don't, but with all the choices there's got to be better stations than the my local broadcast ones. But I wouldn't pay for a subscription when I have so many CDs and tons of music - I could never grow tired of my entire music collection.

I also don't have an MP3 player (but my wife has an iPod). I occasionally download songs from iTune and Amazon, but burn them onto CDs. I know that seems archaic and maybe I will cross over into the MP3 age someday.

But I prefer to have a physical collection of CDs with the artwork, inserts, etc., so the few songs I have are usually used in artist compilation discs I make. And I have a Sony CD jukebox that holds 60 discs, when filled with created compilations maxed out, it can hold approximately 1000 CDA tracks total. So I've got a little bit of "random" capabilties that iPod listeners have, at my home at least. Our new car has a 6-CD changer and an iPod hook-up, so my wife and I can each have our music in that car at all times.

My other musical quirk is that I collect vinyl records, even though I also have most of the albums on CD. Due to the era these were mainly produced, they are mostly classic rock and some old movie soundtracks. And yes, I have an original copy of the Star Wars soundtrack (1977, a 2-record vinyl) that an ex-girlfriend's mom bought for me at a yard sale for $0.25. I have a modern Sony record player hooked-up to my jukebox and occasionally will whip out an vinyl record and listen to it for nostalgia's sake.

I only listen to music (when Im by myself) when driving or washing dishes . . . Ive once been known to go a couple years without changing the CD

Most of my exposure to music has been through my parents, who do have lots of CDs and sometimes the radio, but there I read books and such so can cope with commercials

My life revolves around music. As soon as I get into work, I log into my xm account online and start playing music. Once work is done, I take out myu IPOD for my long train ride home. Then when I am home, I am either watching TV on my computer or listening to more music.

Lol, you would think with all the music I listen too I would know every artist out there. I am rock stupid when it comes to who sings what. Maybe I get overkill with too much music where I can't remember my first name anymore.

I have a "Rhapsody to Go" account, so if I find a song/band I will only listen to a few times and then delete, I can do so without a "permanent" cost. I have a Netflix account for the same reason, each cost less than a regular new CD/DVD each month.

I also have a vast MP3 collection of those things I do want to keep. :D Emusic "forcing" me to rejoin every few months just makes this worse. ;) I remember making fun of a guy in 2003 for having 40gb of MP3s, I am afraid to find out just how vast his collection is now. Thankfully mine is not quite that big (yet).

I still have 2 working Eigerman F-20s (they are the second generation of the true original portable MP3 Player). If I had not found a decent deal on a Sansa Express (RtG compatible), I would probably still be using my PDA/Phone as my main portable MP3 player. I do miss having the 4" screen on my Toshiba e800 but I only have so much room to carry stuff to and fro to work or elsewhere. It was nice for 2+ hour bus rides since it could play videos and still be small enough to not attract too much unwanted attention, unlike DVD players which almost always inspire people to want to know where you got it and for how much.

I only listen to radio if "forced" to at work, my day boss mostly listens to talk radio, the other one tends to listen to Radio Classics on Sirius.

The other day, I was tagged with a meme. Randomize my playlist and show the first 25 songs on the list. This is what I got:

amarok-feb2009a.jpg

Not 100% representative to what I have in my playlist, but it gives you a good idea to what I like.

I mostly just listen to the radio while in the car on my way to work. I have some pretty eclectic tastes. Everything from Classic Rock to Classical music. 80s pop/rock (except the big hair metal) I guess I'd fall mostly into the radio category of "Adult Contemporary" but even that's not really accurate. I don't have an iPod or portable MP3 player. There's a small collection of CDs sitting on a shelf in my room which includes a handful of cassette tapes. I don't listen to music at work since I know I'd end up paying too much attention to the tunes instead of my work. lol When I'm in the car and there's garbage on the radio (which is more often than not) I have my 6-CD set of the Star Wars Special Edition Trilogy Soundtrack.

PS - No country or rap

I'm completely eclectic that I go from Beastie Boys to Toccata Fugue in D Minor with a large layover at Industrial/Techno and Trance/Rave.

I despise Country but I like "Devil Went Down to Georgia" and a lot of Johnny Cash.

I also like "Ghost Riders in the Sky" and the "Highwayman" song (the first country song to acknowledge the shifting cultural trend towards space/Sci-Fi).

Everything from Classic Rock to Classical music... I have my 6-CD set of the Star Wars Special Edition Trilogy Soundtrack.

Yes! Hijack

Beastie Boys

"Cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce" :cool:

I love Southern Gospel Music! I went to the National Quartet Convention in Louisville, Kentucky in Sept. It was a week long, concerts morning noon and nite....DR. David Jerimiah and other guest speakers were there. Absolutely wonderful, uplifting. I can't wait to go back next year!

I like some of everything, folk, industrial, world beat, classic rock, but the music that is dearest to my heart, the music of my youth, is the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Saxon, Diamond Head, those were the bands we were listening to in the late 70s and early 80s. That was also when I became a gamer.

When asking the question "What type of music do you like?" A common response from most people who say "I listen to anything" almost always include the following next statement. "Except for Country or Rap"

Strange. I find myself saying this as well. But yet I would never listen to folk or gospel music to name only two. Perhaps it is the big mainstream genres that only count, who knows. I do find myself listening to a very selective and small play list of country and rap.

The point of all this, I haven't a clue. :D

I am definitely not one of those people who claim to listen to anything. I favor Hard Rock/ Metal over most other music, though I must admit that I have a somewhat eclectic mix on the old iPod. Things OTHER that rock and metal that you will see on it:

A small selection of 80's Rap

Pop in the form of Lily Allen's 2 albums

New Age in the form of a couple Enya Albums

A fair selection of Hair metal

A slash of Punk

Some 80's New Wave stuff

Folk in Simon and Garfunkle, and Cat Stevens

and a few alternative songs, dotting the group.

Eric, what do you think of Godsmack and Disturbed? Two of my Favorite bands.

They are decent. I cannot call either a "favorite" of mine, but I certainly have a couple albums floating around my iPod. (1 Godsmack and 2 Disturbed), so I obviously like them enough to give them money.

Rather than say everything, which it certainly isn't, I'll list some bands. The mixture--and a few specifically--are hard to categorize.

And yes there is a particular order:

• T(-)(-)L--All time greatest ever was or will be.
  • JS Bach--specifically the Brandenburg concertos.
  • Vintersorg--they aren't just here because you haven't heard of them. Check out Visions from the Spiral Generator.
  • Crystal Method--rhythms upon rhythms upon rhythms...
  • Aloki Dutta-- did someone say rhythms. Tabla extraordinaire
  • Dave Mathews--corny, happy Neo-hippie that he is, he plays with great musicians.
  • Dave Brubeck--"Take Five"
  • Moody Blues
  • Beethoven, Mozart, Handel, etc
  • Miles, Coltrane, Mingus, etc.
  • Porcupine Tree--only this low on the list because I was just introduced to them. Rising fast.
  • Billy Joel-- grew up on it, but didn't really understand it until more recently.

I tend to listen to a variety of songs, not worring about style or even who they are by so much. I often listen to my complete Weird Al collection or a good variety of Beastie Boy songs. Country isn't something I enjoy, nor is rap. Beyond that I'll general give just about anything a listen once.

I tend to listen to a variety of songs, not worring about style or even who they are by so much. I often listen to my complete Weird Al collection or a good variety of Beastie Boy songs. Country isn't something I enjoy, nor is rap.

True that the B-Boys do have forays into multiple genres, their main style is rap. So most of the B-Boys "songs" that people who are not album-oriented listeners of music would encounter would be rap songs. I'm confused by your statements, unless you mean that you don't enjoy rap in general but a good variety offBeastie Boys song is the exception to that.