D6 Online 3.0
Lee Torres

[D6 Space] Power in the 'Verse

PowerintheVerse-2.jpg

D6 Space, like the promo piece says. 18D Attributes, 7D Skills, advantages and disadvantages as you like (within the rules), no Extranormal stuff without talkin' to me first, and even then it's doubtful.

Use the points system, if you'd rather - 79 creation points to distribute among all the options, 1 attribute die costs 4 points, 1 skill die costs 1 point, 3 specialization dice cost 1 point - you might be better off with 15D Attributes and 19D in skills.

Just sayin'... It's good to have skills, Dong ma?

Shiny. I'll take a look at my Cortex book for character ideas/inspirations.

And thank you Mr. Torres for continuing the story beyond the Serenity movie. It's an exciting time in the 'Verse...

Thanks, TGG! I'll get the Power in the 'Verse boards rolling a bit later, but I wanted to say it's a big 'Verse, and if you want to join in later you're very welcome - jump into the shindig whenever you've got the time!

Nice game. Ok shoot me, but I had never seen the whole tv series. I'm catching up on www.hulu.com (all 14 episodes are on there) now so I can watch along during your game; and the movie I have seen, but will re-watch on netflix online movies so that I actually understand what is going on in it this time :)

Nice game. Ok shoot me, but I had never seen the whole tv series. I'm catching up on www.hulu.com (all 14 episodes are on there) now so I can watch along during your game; and the movie I have seen, but will re-watch on netflix online movies so that I actually understand what is going on in it this time :)

Cool, Lubidius. I enjoyed the movie a lot watching it right after completing the 14 TV episodes. The movie is the climax of just about everything the TV series was leading up to. I think you'll like it more the 2nd time.

My wife got interested in the show after seeing a few eps with me while I was going through it the first time (through rentals). Now that I own the series and movie on DVD, we are going to re-watch them all in order, and this time my wife wants to make sure she sees every episode. I think she'll also like the movie more next time around, after seeing all of the eps.

I have to admit that I am having a lot of fun Playing Serenity/Firefly D6.

I always thought that the D6 system would do a great job handling the setting, and from what we have done so far, I feel I was right about that.

It seems to handle things better then the official "Serenity RPG" (which I have) does.

So far I'm liking the series a lot. Even more so then the movie which I had originally seen. (Though the movie does kick butt, I like the character development of the series thus far). I'll keep an eye here for if you all need any other players in a month or so. Even if you don't need folks; I'll be reading this game's thread daily and will poke fun of your characters liberally over in this forum. :)

So far I'm liking the series a lot. Even more so then the movie which I had originally seen. (Though the movie does kick butt, I like the character development of the series thus far). I'll keep an eye here for if you all need any other players in a month or so. Even if you don't need folks; I'll be reading this game's thread daily and will poke fun of your characters liberally over in this forum. :)

Sounds good.

The more I watch of them, the more I cannot believe that SCI-FI channel had not picked this up where it left off; even if they had to beg the original writer / director to take it on with perhaps slightly different actors/characters (where necessary). This is pure SCI-FI heaven. Would have made a perfect flagship show. They should do a spin-off, and then have additional Serenity movies down the pipe for the original casting.

I assume you all have book-marked this site:

http://www.fireflywiki.org/

They have several links to rpg based information as well.

I'm absolutely loving the series now. I'm up to about episode 5. I can't get enough of it.

I have it bookmarked now! lol

I have the Serenity RPG by Margaret Weis Productions and that has a lot of nice fluff material in it.

Glad you are enjoyng the show! Another Browncoat into the ranks... ;)

The show is immediately likeable and the characters are so well-written and acted; it's hard to believe that nobody picked it up... and yet there is so much other trash on TV that continues to air long after its expiration date. /gripe off

I assume you all have book-marked this site:

http://www.fireflywiki.org/

They have several links to rpg based information as well.

I'm absolutely loving the series now. I'm up to about episode 5. I can't get enough of it.

If you're interested when you've seen the whole series front to back, the "Power in the 'Verse" campaign I'm running PbP is actually set up as a three act structure, so if you want to jump in at act two (or later in act one might even be possible), you'd be most welcome! As Rerun said, nice to have another Browncoat aboard...

Keep flyin'!

I will take you up on that offer. Give me a PM perhaps a ~week before you hit Act Two. You all are posting at a very high rate (a good thing). I can post once a weekday (M-F), and more often as time allows. I hope that is enough. I'm actually quite amazed at how many posts you all generate.

I will take you up on that offer. Give me a PM perhaps a ~week before you hit Act Two.

I'll do that!

You all are posting at a very high rate (a good thing). I can post once a weekday (M-F), and more often as time allows. I hope that is enough. I'm actually quite amazed at how many posts you all generate.

Once a weekday should be all right - a lot of what we're posting is just the banter going on between everyone - I'd think you could get caught up and respond to what needs responding to in one fell swoop easily enough, though.

Ok, I have one word to summarize why I am now in love with Firefly : Saffron. Holy cow.... I about spontaneously combusted watching her about to make out with Inara in the Our Mrs. Reynolds episode.

I finally have finished the series, and also re-watched the movie. I have to say, strangely enough I liked the movie LESS the second time around ; knowing the character development that occurred on the series. Oh well, it was still enjoyable. I just felt like it was thrown together a bit and only placed the characters in ultimate harms way as opposed to really embellished on them. It resolved things as if the writer/director knew he would not make a second one is what I'm getting at. The immediate and even subsequent reaction to the death of Wash was a little watered down if you ask me. It was as if the writer decided NOT to make a big deal of it because they were attempting in a strange way to appeal to the movie-watcher only. I think they tried a little too hard to make it watchable by someone who had not seen the series, but failed somewhat in doing that, and in going that direction somewhat alienated the watcher who had seen the series.

Overall, I'm very glad I was able to finally watch the whole TV series and re-watch the movie. I truly hope some day someone picks up Firefly and runs with it where it left off ; even if it does not utilize the exact same characters. I do hope if they can not get the same actors, they just write out the character instead of trying to find another actor.

Pipe dream, if it had not happened by now, I don't forsee it happening.

This exchange:

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: You think she'll hold together?

Zoë: She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true.

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Could be bumpy.

Zoë: Always is.

really sums up the characters in that moment - in that they're not really talking about the ship. The Operative paid for a complete repair of Serenity after the crash on Mr. Universe's moon. Mal has little in the way of "people skills" and Zoe knows it, matter of fact, she's much the same. He's asking if she can still function, and she can. They fought together against the Alliance, and lost a lot of friends and loved ones. Now they've lost Wash, but in losing him may have struck the final blow in the Unification War, seven years after most considered it done, ended with the defeat of the Browncoats at Serenity Valley on Hera. The war may be nearly over at last, but at a price - more that they loved and lost.

But they're too damaged to talk about it. Too stubborn. It's not in their nature - if it ever was, it's been burned away.

This exchange:

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: You think she'll hold together?

Zoë: She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true.

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Could be bumpy.

Zoë: Always is.

really sums up the characters in that moment - in that they're not really talking about the ship. Mal has little in the way of "people skills" and Zoe knows it. He's asking if she can still function, and she can. They fought together against the Alliance, and lost a lot of friends and loved ones. Now they've lost Wash, but in losing him may have struck the final blow in the Unification War, seven years after most considered it done. The war that most consider ended with the defeat of the Browncoats at Serenity Valley on Hera. The war may be nearly over at last, but at a price - more that they loved and lost. But they're too damaged to talk about it. Too stubborn. It's not in their nature - if it ever was, it's been burned away.

I finally have finished the series, and also re-watched the movie. I have to say, strangely enough I liked the movie LESS the second time around ; knowing the character development that occurred on the series. Oh well, it was still enjoyable. I just felt like it was thrown together a bit and only placed the characters in ultimate harms way as opposed to really embellished on them. It resolved things as if the writer/director knew he would not make a second one is what I'm getting at. The immediate and even subsequent reaction to the death of Wash was a little watered down if you ask me. It was as if the writer decided NOT to make a big deal of it because they were attempting in a strange way to appeal to the movie-watcher only. I think they tried a little too hard to make it watchable by someone who had not seen the series, but failed somewhat in doing that, and in going that direction somewhat alienated the watcher who had seen the series.

Overall, I'm very glad I was able to finally watch the whole TV series and re-watch the movie. I truly hope some day someone picks up Firefly and runs with it where it left off ; even if it does not utilize the exact same characters. I do hope if they can not get the same actors, they just write out the character instead of trying to find another actor.

Pipe dream, if it had not happened by now, I don't forsee it happening.

I admit that Wash's death took both my wife and I totally by surprise, a real WTF? moment as we looked at each other in shock. Even by the movie's end, that was the only thing that didn't settle very well with me about the movie. I don't feel the same way about Shepherd Book's death. That character's role was appropriate for the movie and his death seemed appropriate for the plot.

But I still ask myself, why did Wash have to die? What was the purpose of it in the plot? Was it just to demonstrate the danger? The old dramatic device of proving that no one is protected by the plot, used merely to highten viewer tension for the climatic sequences of the movie? Maybe. If so, it wasn't totally successful for me. It is more of a head scratcher. And Lee, like always, I apreciate your efforts in rationalizing things for me in an attempt to help me enjoy my fiction better. :)

But aside from Wash's death, I absolutely loved the movie, better than any individual TV episode. The movie made me love the TV series more. The movie was the climax of almost everything the TV show was building up to but didn't get to resolve before the show got cancelled. If we didn't have the movie to tie up the story's lose ends, I would have still enjoyed the series but probably not enough to own it like I so now. The movie is the climax and conclusion of the series. On the same token, I wouldn't have liked the movie as much without the series to show everything developing and building up to it. The movie completes the series, and I like my stories complete from start to end. Maybe there was a little effort made to make the movie enjoyable even for those who had not seen the series, but the movie was made to complete the series.

Ironically, the only thing the movie didn't tie up from the series is the mystery of Shepherd Book's past. Why he had some ID that gave him priority medical attention on an Alliance ship, etc. I hear that a comic book is supposed to be coming out that explains his past. If they had included that in the movie, it probably would have been out of place and made his character's role and death inappropriate. So I understand why it was left out of the movie. I admit it's a loose end from the series, but I don't hold that against the movie at all.

Of course, the movie resolved the series but left things wide open for possible sequels. The 'Verse is on the verge of a new rebellion/civil war. The primary purpose of the movie was to tie up the series, but I read that the sales of the special edition DVD and Blu-ray would be the determining factor in if there is more. It must not be to that point yet, and maybe it never will. But that's why we have Lee to continue the story here. :)

Another useful wiki:

http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

I didn't realize there were two three issue comic series either. I learn something new about the series every time I look around.

One of my favorite characters from the tv series came in the last episode:

http://www.fireflywiki.org/Firefly/ObjectsInSpace

Jubal Early, the philosophizing bounty hunter.

(and I don't know if you realized it, but that episode guide translates all of the Chinese cut-downs they use!! awesome!)

I loved his line about the smallest person he'd ever tracked down, other then a pyromaniac midget.

I kind of found his character a little too similar to The Operative:

http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/The_Operative

Not just because of physical similarities......

When I was first starting to re-watch the movie, I was like... ahh hell yeah, someone must have picked him up from floating in space! Then I soon realized it was not the same actor or character.

I loved the Jubal character. Very rich.