D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Havard

Which movie, computer game, novel etc define ShatterZone?

How do you see the ShatterZone universe? Which movies, novels, computer games, comic books etc are closest to the atmosphere of this setting?

Movies

Aliens - Aliens really conveys the atmosphere I associate with ShatterZone.

Starship Troopers - I could easily see Fleet working the same way as the Fleet in ST. I think I will also steal their presentation of Fleet psychics, including the Gestapo-ish uniforms.

Babylon 5 - My favorite show when we were playing SZ. Much of the technology and the interraction between the alien races could work as presented in B5. The Psi Cops are also a good moden for psychics in SZ.

Battlestar Galactica - An awesome show which conveys the "gritty space" feel that SZ is all about. The constant fear of the Cyolons could be compared to how many feel about the Armagon threat. No sexy Armagons so far though...

Firefly/Serenity - My favorite Sci Fi show. SZ doesn't have the Western Feel, but I could see how the fringe might in many ways resemble the 'Verse from Firefly/Serenity

Computer Games/Video Games

Halo Series - I don't have too much time for video games these days, but I did enjoy the Halo series. Again Alien invasion is the theme, and I would like to import many of the vehicles and other equipment from these games into SZ.

Which games/movies/novels/comics would include, and why? :)

Havard

I think (for me) its a mix of Aliens, Babylon 5 and Firefly/Serenity.

That's just me

Seems fairly close to my view. Looking at Firefly/Serenity, SZ does have blaster weapons and psi is more developed. SZ lacks the Western feel to the setting, but the Fringe probably does have a "frontier feel". While Core regions are probably not too different from the F/S Central Planets. A big difference is that most ships in SZ will be armed. Reavers are another similarity.

I love B5 which is I why I keep bringing it up :)

Havard

Interesting that Firefly keeps coming up. It seems more than just the "Reavers".

I'm a Firefly/Serenity fan, but I know that Shatterzone came out first. Does anyone think that Shatterzone may have been a minor influence on Firefly?

Seems fairly close to my view. Looking at Firefly/Serenity, SZ does have blaster weapons and psi is more developed. SZ lacks the Western feel to the setting, but the Fringe probably does have a "frontier feel". While Core regions are probably not too different from the F/S Central Planets. A big difference is that most ships in SZ will be armed. Reavers are another similarity.

I love B5 which is I why I keep bringing it up :)

Havard

I have never seen B5 but I have heard of it and I took the things I have heard about the show and compared them to what is in the Shatterzone books and some simiarities.

Interesting that Firefly keeps coming up. It seems more than just the "Reavers".

I'm a Firefly/Serenity fan, but I know that Shatterzone came out first. Does anyone think that Shatterzone may have been a minor influence on Firefly?

Hard to say. I don't know if Whedon is a gamer, but his shows have plenty of references to D&D including people playing the game. I wouldnt be surprised if he or some of his writers have played a game of SZ.

OTOH, it might also be a case of shared sources of inspiration. The most important inspiration for Firefly was Star Wars Smugglers combined with US post Civil War setting. The inspiration for SZ probably came from Star Wars meets Cyberpunk. That gives some overlap.

Ofcourse, it doesn't explain the Reavers...

Havard

I have never seen B5 but I have heard of it and I took the things I have heard about the show and compared them to what is in the Shatterzone books and some simiarities.

The level of technology is similar, although cyberware doesnt seem to appear much in B5. B5 is more epic in its scope (maybe?) and Earth plays a central role here, but isn't even mentioned in SZ. I wonder what the deal is with Earth in SZ...

Havard

The level of technology is similar, although cyberware doesnt seem to appear much in B5. B5 is more epic in its scope (maybe?) and Earth plays a central role here, but isn't even mentioned in SZ. I wonder what the deal is with Earth in SZ...

Havard

This is a good question. And I do not believe there is any cyberware in Firefly/Serenity (I could be wrong).

This is a good question. And I do not believe there is any cyberware in Firefly/Serenity (I could be wrong).

One of the Firefly comic book stories has Dobson return with a cybernetic eye. Can't rememer seeing examples of cyberware anywhere in the series/movie though.

Havard

Well, I gave my PC a cybernetic leg. I have the Serentiy RPG and it mentions bionic replacements there. Assuming that can be considered canon...

One of the Firefly comic book stories has Dobson return with a cybernetic eye. Can't rememer seeing examples of cyberware anywhere in the series/movie though.

Havard

That's what I meant. Since I haven't read the comic books I was refering to the series/movie.

I guess with a setting with such technical advances, its not impossible from cybernetics to exist.

The Cortex Sereneity RPG book states cypernetics do exist in the 'Verse, but they are mostly reserved for the Alliance military and the rich elite.

The Cortex Sereneity RPG book states cypernetics do exist in the 'Verse, but they are mostly reserved for the Alliance military and the rich elite.

I will have to reread my Serenity RPG Book again. I have to say I really dont like the cortex system for Serenity, I just think it does a bad job emulating the setting, but its good for information on the Firefly/Serenity setting.

I will have to reread my Serenity RPG Book again. I have to say I really dont like the cortex system for Serenity, I just think it does a bad job emulating the setting, but its good for information on the Firefly/Serenity setting.

I completely agree. The fluff is excellent. And I loves me full color RPG books. Too bad the games system is not so hot. 2 out of 3 ain't too bad.

I completely agree. The fluff is excellent. And I loves me full color RPG books. Too bad the games system is not so hot. 2 out of 3 ain't too bad.

It was disappointing all of the beginners mistakes they made in the first edition.

I think eventually when there is full D6 conversion there wont even be a reason for me to keep the Serenity rpg book anymore. Besides, you can find most of the fluff online for free anyhow

I heard about all the errors made, but they were all corrected by the 5th printing. I ordered mine off Amazon last year and they sent me the most current (5th) printing.

But which printing I have doesn't doesn't matter too much to me because I'm not gonna play it with the Cortex rules, ever. I think some of the fluff may be on the internet, but not all - it does go into great deal on ships, economics, the 'Verse, etc. and that is useful for a game with any game mechanics. And I like it I said, it is shiny in full color, which I love for any RPG book.

So until they actually publish a book just like it replacing the Cortex system with D6 game mechanics, I'm gonna keep the book anyway.

I heard about all the errors made, but they were all corrected by the 5th printing. I ordered mine off Amazon last year and they sent me the most current (5th) printing.

But which printing I have doesn't doesn't matter too much to me because I'm not gonna play it with the Cortex rules, ever. I think some of the fluff may be on the internet, but not all - it does go into great deal on ships, economics, the 'Verse, etc. and that is useful for a game with any game mechanics. And I like it I said, it is shiny in full color, which I love for any RPG book.

So until they actually publish a book just like it replacing the Cortex system with D6 game mechanics, I'm gonna keep the book anyway.

I know someone is doing a conversion and they are doing a pretty good job at it (with pictures of items no less).

I would love to see a nice D6 conversion of Serenity/Firefly to give people a choice to play the setting with mechanics that are a better fit.

Just watched Terminator:Salvation this weekend and I started thinking about movies from the 80s who could be categorized as Dark Sci Fi.

Terminator, Predator, Aliens, Blade Runner

Isn't this the essence of Shatterzone? :cool:

Speaking of Terminator, what is the situation with robots in Shatterzone anyway?

Havard