D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Whill

Prime Directive D6

According to Wikipedia, the original Prime Directive game "used a D6-style system similar to Shadowrun and Star Wars." This version with the original game system is no longer in production, so you'd likely have to hunt down a used copy if you want one.

Besides the despicable d20 version, there is currently a GURPS adaptation available as well. The official Prime Directive website states:

1. We are here to stay. Our license never expires and we will not be shut down in two years like other RPGs of this genre. Yes, we have a contract with Paramount and all of this is 100% legal
  2. Rather than inventing a new system and trying to recruit players for it, we offer our books in a variety of existing and very popular systems.
  3. Because the Prime Directive Universe is presented in widely used systems, no end of already-published books can be used as source material for any planet you want to visit.
  4. We currently offer Prime Directive in two game engines, and are negotiating for some others. We won't do every game engine but we will do the ones that make good business sense.

The best news is that a new official D6 version of the game has been in the works for a couple years, and they even already have a web page for it! Cool! Funny, I don't remember Eric mentioning anything about this. Maybe it's just been delayed by the plans for Open D6...<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

I had the original version of this game, and its not proper Trek, but SFB's trek

not the same thing,

in fact I don't think they can use the term Star Trek,

Which is a shame, had this been straight up canon Star Trek No body would have been happier than me :(

This is correct, Prime Directive is based on TFG's Star Fleet Battles which was licensed from, IIRC, Lou Zocci and the Star Trek Technical Manual. The license is pretty much forever and it limits them to being able to use official materials only present in the original series of Star Trek.

SFB brought out the "X-Ships", massively upgraded versions of the various races' heavy cruisers back in the early eighties as a substitute for the new design of Enterprise and the Klingon D-7 from Star Trek The Motion Picture.

If you want to play Star Trek as shown in the movies and later series, you're going to have to do some work under the hood and on the chrome. If you're a fan of Star Fleet Battles and the Star Fleet universe, the game isn't that bad and can be a fun interlude from the fleet battles.

KtD

I had the original version of this game, and its not proper Trek, but SFB's trek

not the same thing,

in fact I don't think they can use the term Star Trek,

Which is a shame, had this been straight up canon Star Trek No body would have been happier than me :(

Good point, and I'm glad you brought it up in this thread. I remember that when I played it in 93-94, we "Trekked it up" a bit to make it more like TNG.

My perception is that the Star Trek franchise (Paramount) has too tight of control of their "canon" while the Star Wars franchise (GL/LucasArts) is too loose with their "canon"

Again, just my perception, but Star Trek fans tend to be hyper-critical of any new movie/TV show that gets produced and so the Producers seem to be very gun-shy of putting out any new canon for fear of the fans declaring it "non-canon".

However, on the Star Wars side, the fans are equally rabid... but less so for continuity and moreso for "OMG WANT TO SEE THE LATEST FLASHY THING GL PUTS OUT" regardless of how it may enhance or break canon.

Yes, I may be oversimplifying and it's just one guy's take on fandom, canon and sci-fi franchises. It's a tricky balance.

The best news is that a new official D6 version of the game has been in the works for a couple years, and they even already have a web page for it! Cool! Funny, I don't remember Eric mentioning anything about this. Maybe it's just been delayed by the plans for Open D6...<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

Well, good news, bad news with this. Bad news is that D6 Prime Directive has been in the works for more than a couple of years. And it's been through the hands of about 4 different people. Good news is that, I believe, the latest person that is attempting work on D6 Prime Directive visits this site, so he may be able to enlighten us on the status of such work.

Now some background info, from what I know. WEG is not working on this project, thus why you never heard Eric mention anything about this. This is being done by a 3rd party, working essentially for Steve Cole (creator of SFB) to convert the material to D6 and create rules using the D6 mechanic to address the things that need to be addressed. All of the information that is available in the GURPS version or D20 version will be the same as the stuff that will/may be in the D6 version. Only the mechanics will be different. There may be some minor things here and there that are created for the D6 version, but for the most part large portions of the existing information will be directly ported over to anything D6 gets.

The original thing was to get a license to use the D6 system in order to produce the game. Now that D6 is going to go Open, that license is essentially free (once all of the legal paperwork for OpenD6 is done, that is). The only thing that remains is for the person who's working on it to get the mechanics sorted out, using the D6 system, and port all of the information over. The plus side is with OpenD6, that person now has a much more open hand in creating mechanics that will fit and work for things in Prime Directive by simply tweaking D6 to taste.

So essentially we're waiting on a third party to do the hard work, then for it to get okay'd by SVC, for the OpenD6 license to be finalized and published, and then for the game books to be published. Then we're good!

The original thing was to get a license to use the D6 system in order to produce the game. Now that D6 is going to go Open, that license is essentially free (once all of the legal paperwork for OpenD6 is done, that is). The only thing that remains is for the person who's working on it to get the mechanics sorted out, using the D6 system, and port all of the information over. The plus side is with OpenD6, that person now has a much more open hand in creating mechanics that will fit and work for things in Prime Directive by simply tweaking D6 to taste.

If I remember correctly, they already have a "proper" D6/pre-OpenD6 license, so it is just waiting on the manuscript and such that would be holding them back.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/prime/pd-d6.shtml

Any intel about the release of the game this year ?

The latest word I found about it is that it was hoped it would be available in 2008. That obviously didn't happen, so there have been delays.

The best news is that a new official D6 version of the game has been in the works for a couple years, and they even already have a web page for it!<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

Bad news is that D6 Prime Directive has been in the works for more than a couple of years.

Check. Yes, I was using the word "couple" in the more vague sense closer in meaning to few/several. But I view the fact that it's been in the works for years as good news, instead of bad. Yes there may have been unfortunate, extreme delays, but it's still good news to me because they have to at least be closer than they were "more than a couple years" ago. I guess my cup is half-full. :cool:

So essentially we're waiting on a third party to do the hard work, then for it to get okay'd by SVC, for the OpenD6 license to be finalized and published, and then for the game books to be published. Then we're good!

If I remember correctly, they already have a "proper" D6/pre-OpenD6 license, so it is just waiting on the manuscript and such that would be holding them back.

WEG is not working on this project, thus why you never heard Eric mention anything about this.

I realized that this is a licensed work and not produced by WEG, but Eric should still know about it if it is in the works. I would think that this would be big news, even if delayed for years. If it's not big news, it should be. Any version of Trek in D6 is good news to me! I view this potentially as important as D6 Powers, other licensed product that greatly compliments WEG's body of works.

Good news is that, I believe, the latest person that is attempting work on D6 Prime Directive visits this site, so he may be able to enlighten us on the status of such work.

If you're reading this, D6 Prime Directive converter, please do post here and give us an update. Thanks!

http://www.wegfanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213

Looked over the Member List, and I don't see him here, unless he's got a different name on these boards - but I've got a link on this thread to a post he made on the old WEG forum, so it may be possible to send him an email from there...

Just checked - his name is Jeff Webb - posted as colwebbsfmc at the old boards, and there's no contact info in his profile... :(