D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
The Game Guy

TV Shows that are close to jumping the Shark

Problem with Heroes is the inconsistent abilities... Sylar's initial gift was the ability to figure out how things worked (starting with watches), then he got TK and for some reason he HAD to cut open the brain to learn the gift... umm... WHAT?!? Then, his gift was nothing more than Peter's, but he was a psycho killer... In at least one ep this season he didn't have to do use the TK to gain shapeshift.

Hiro and Ando speaking Japanese was cute for the first few episodes, but has long since grown annoying. If I wanted to read the TV, I'd rent a good foreign flick.

Why did their gifts come with an eclipse, yet Claire has had hers active since birth and Adam had been alive for centuries and the parent's gifts were active before it...

Problem with Heroes is the inconsistent abilities... Sylar's initial gift was the ability to figure out how things worked (starting with watches), then he got TK and for some reason he HAD to cut open the brain to learn the gift... umm... WHAT?!? Then, his gift was nothing more than Peter's, but he was a psycho killer... In at least one ep this season he didn't have to do use the TK to gain shapeshift.

Hiro and Ando speaking Japanese was cute for the first few episodes, but has long since grown annoying. If I wanted to read the TV, I'd rent a good foreign flick.

Why did their gifts come with an eclipse, yet Claire has had hers active since birth and Adam had been alive for centuries and the parent's gifts were active before it...

Sylar has always needed to see his victims brains until last season when he learned that he didn't HAVE to see the brain to learn their power. Even before he had the zippy do-da tk cranium slice power, he had to cut their brain-case open manually. But (besides being a psycho killer) I think seeing their brain makes learning their power faster. He is very similar to Peter and always has been -- by "learning" their power from being able to understand the nature of the power. Peter was able to understand the power on a empathic level. He never really KNEW how the power worked, but could FEEL how the power worked. Sylar is a sociopath and a psychopath meaning he inherently lacks the ability to empathize with other people so he must try to under them on a mechanical level. He was ability to learn Elle's power because he was basically in love with her AND she was a similar psychopath -- thus it was easy for him to see himself in her. He was able to nab the shifters power because 1) He spent time in his apartment and was learning to understand his nature 2) the shifter and Sylar have similar psyches -- there were both unhappy with themselves and were constantly looking to "change" who they were. Empathy is easy when the person you are trying to empathize with is crazy just like you.

What I don't understand is this:

Aldo's power has seemed to turn into a simply red lighting bolt, whereas is ACTUAL power is amplification. I understand that Ando cannot simply turn on Hiro's temporal distortion power because it is completely "OFF" and he cannot amplify something that is off (unlike Matt Jr.). But, don't you think that Aldo could allow Peter to story multiple powers again because, rather than Peter's power being off, it's just a little gimped right now? Of course, I don't not if it would be a permanent fix. Of course, it would probably be interesting if Peter were to copy the Matt Jr.'s power then use that power to both fuly turn on his own power, turn on Hiro's time travel power AND turn off Sylar's power's -- thus allowing him to be killed with not chase of return.

I would say quickly Dollhouse jumped the shark and it has only been on for 1 season.

They said it's not 100% that it would be canceled, but it is not looking good.

Dollhouse is the show Whedon made to fulfill his contract to Fox.

Once the plug is pulled, I'm sure he'll not take long to find a REAL network to host his next big show and that network will let the show go longer than a season.

Dollhouse is the show Whedon made to fulfill his contract to Fox.

Once the plug is pulled, I'm sure he'll not take long to find a REAL network to host his next big show and that network will let the show go longer than a season.

I have to agree with you on this. Though I think that Whedon's not the superman everyone thinks he is. His quality has really gone downhill, dollhouse is a mess and the 3 part short skit thing he did on the internet was totally stupid.

I have to agree with you on this. Though I think that Whedon's not the superman everyone thinks he is. His quality has really gone downhill, dollhouse is a mess and the 3 part short skit thing he did on the internet was totally stupid.

Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog?

Was brilliant!

it proved that his stuff increases in quality 9000% when FOX has zero input

I withdraw my previous concern that Heroes may be close to jumping the shark, based on the season finale last night.

Tim Kring and his team of parahumans have done it again. I'm looking forward to the next season! :D

I withdraw my previous concern that Heroes may be close to jumping the shark, based on the season finale last night.

Tim Kring and his team of parahumans have done it again. I'm looking forward to the next season! :D

I watched partly into the second season and then just gave up. Believe me, I am a fan, I have an item from the show in my collection (hellsreach and my group have seen it) but the whole story got too weird for me.

To some extent I agree with that - my wife and I had some friends over for dinner on Sunday and we were talking about the show, and I'd completely forgotten that one of the villains I liked was actually killed off - it's gotten pretty convoluted and hard to keep track of (in some instances), but I've got friends that are big fans of "Lost" and I think that, from their recaps, is even more convoluted than "Heroes" is.

I guess it's just the nature of the beast, but when "Heroes" brings back a Hero or Villain from earlier in the series, at times it's pretty cool.

They set a few things up in the finale that bode well for the next season, though. There were times where I almost gave up on it, but I'm glad I didn't. The episodes where they were getting back on track after the WGA strike were some brilliant TV.

I watched partly into the second season and then just gave up. Believe me, I am a fan, I have an item from the show in my collection (hellsreach and my group have seen it) but the whole story got too weird for me.

Don't let the second season cloud your opinion of the whole show. That season is considered the worst by far. I still think there were some good episodes, but Season 3 was definitely better.

To some extent I agree with that - my wife and I had some friends over for dinner on Sunday and we were talking about the show, and I'd completely forgotten that one of the villains I liked was actually killed off - it's gotten pretty convoluted and hard to keep track of (in some instances), but I've got friends that are big fans of "Lost" and I think that, from their recaps, is even more convoluted than "Heroes" is.

I guess it's just the nature of the beast, but when "Heroes" brings back a Hero or Villain from earlier in the series, at times it's pretty cool.

They set a few things up in the finale that bode well for the next season, though. There were times where I almost gave up on it, but I'm glad I didn't. The episodes where they were getting back on track after the WGA strike were some brilliant TV.

Tracy coming back was a no brainer I think. After all, after she smashed into thousands of pieces, the camera panned to her eye, and she blinked.

What bugged me is, how could the "good guys," after all this time, be so stupid? Angela was upset so I cannot really expect her to think rationally, but Noah? Noah should not have gone for the reprogramming. He should have just had Matt dig around in Sylar's brain to find out where he hid his "Achillies heal" and stuck fireplace poker into it.

Tracy coming back was a no brainer I think. After all, after she smashed into thousands of pieces, the camera panned to her eye, and she blinked.

Actually I was referring to Adam - one of my favorite villains. Forgot that Pa Petrelli had taken him out of the picture. But when he was released from his "prison" I was pretty happy. He made a nice counterpoint to Sylar, whose main flaw as I see it is he lacks a "big picture" to strive toward, other than his own benefit. That was fine in season one with the "How Do You Stop An Exploding Man?" storyline, but since then it becomes more "Meh" the more we learn about him. Poor Gabriel isn't good enough, nobody loves him. He ever reaches his goal, he ceases to be any kind of threat. When he was on the run with Elle last season, he was almost swayed over from the dark side, it seemed. I prefer my villains a little more villainous, perhaps. Sylar seems little more than a self-involved psychopath, much of the time. I'm starting to get a little tired of the cockroach analogy from way back in season one. I'd love to see Sylar "stay down" this time, so the show can move on.

I'm reserving judgement on the decision Angela Petrelli made - we don't know what her dream was about, exactly, but it looks like things might slip enough for "Senator Petrelli" to make an interesting good guy going forward.

And based on the in-show history of Doctor Mohinder Suresh, the good guys have a well-established trend for not thinking things through - often to the detriment of the shows suspension of disbelief...

Okay, so if we are hammering down on Heroes flaws, here is the big one I cannot figure out. In season one or two Noah was shot dead by Mohinder and through an injection of Clair's blood was brought back to life. Adam's blood once brought Nathan back from death's door burns. Why could they not just shoot Nathan with some more of Claire's Red Go Juice to revive him again, and then burn Sylar to his most base components through applied use of Thermite.

But then again, I am still trying to figure out why Molly went upstairs to hang out with Chuck Cunningham.

I was reading an article and neither Chuck nor Heroes ended with good ratings. Actually, Heroes ended with the lowest ratings ever.

Well shucks. And I had just gotten back into Chuck again and was enjoying it all (haven't watched the season finale yet, but do have it recorded). I had heard that Chuck may be on the bubble for renewal. I have no idea about Heroes at all. Is it about to get the axe too?

I was reading an article and neither Chuck nor Heroes ended with good ratings. Actually, Heroes ended with the lowest ratings ever.
That's a shame about Chuck. I thought the last couple of episodes were great. I'm not sure what I think about the last few minutes of the season finale though.

Okay, so if we are hammering down on Heroes flaws, here is the big one I cannot figure out. In season one or two Noah was shot dead by Mohinder and through an injection of Clair's blood was brought back to life. Adam's blood once brought Nathan back from death's door burns. Why could they not just shoot Nathan with some more of Claire's Red Go Juice to revive him again, and then burn Sylar to his most base components through applied use of Thermite.

But then again, I am still trying to figure out why Molly went upstairs to hang out with Chuck Cunningham.

Perhaps Nathan had been dead too long.

Um... where IS Molly? Speaking of Molly. If she tried to find Nathan, would she? Could she see through Sylar's disguise?

That's a shame about Chuck. I thought the last couple of episodes were great. I'm not sure what I think about the last few minutes of the season finale though.

I liked chuck in the begining but it became old really fast and I lost interest.