D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
The Game Guy

TV Shows that are close to jumping the Shark

In the early 90s we had a TV series here in Germany called "Hilfe, meine Familie spinnt!", which would be "Help, my family is crazy" or something like that. It was a poor copy of "Married...with children", which is "Eine schrecklich nette Familie" in German.

They copied the script, translated everything literally to German, took some really bad actors and tried to sell it as "nearly better than the original".

This series was really horrible. Luckily, there was just one season.

I think he means currently aired shows that have recently or will soon jump the shark. I don't watch much TV myself.

Much as I hate to say it, I think "Heroes" might be on the verge of jumping the shark. It seems like it's going to improve, and then incrementally falls short.

what does it mean to jump the Shark?

It is a reference to the Happy Days episodes where the characters all went to Hawaii and The Fonze jumped over a shark on water skis being pulled by a boat. Earlier in the series he had done other stunts like jump his motorcycle over cars, etc. Even as a kid I remember thinking that the Fonze looked dorky with his light blue swim trunks and his black leather jacket.

Critics thought the absurd shark jump was clear sign of the downward spiral of the quality of the show, and now "jump the shark" has come to be known as the phrase used to describe the moment when any TV series significantly start to sink beloew its previous level of quality.

Fonzy may have made the jump, but Happy Days definitely got eaten by the shark in that storyline.

Heroes for damn sure.

I stopped because the premise was just lost by 3rd season opener.

I really don't watch much television these days so I generally miss these moments in shows.

I DO recall the original shark jump scene as the show was a particular favorite in my household (Yep, I'm THAT old.)

I think television as a medium jumped the shark when "Reality TV" (look in the dictionary under oxymoron) hit the airwaves.

I wouldnt mind seeing all Reality TV disappear and new shows (actual good shows) take their place

For the most part, reality TV is a waste IMO.

I think it it should have stopped at COPS (which I very occasionally watch because I think it's somewhat humerous to watch the stupid and often intoxicated criminals try to talk their way out of stuff). COPS teaches the rest of us what NOT to do to get in trouble with the law. If only the idots that end up on COPS watched the show, they would know.

And I have to admit that my channel flipper stopped on the TV Guide channel a few times to watch bits and pieces of the show about the actor who played Peter Brady's engagement to his wife, because she is just so damn hot. :cool:

This used to be a stand-alone site: http://www.jumptheshark.com

But it looks like TV Guide bought them. I don't know if the quote is still there, but there used to be a picture of Ted McGinley on the site and it said "Our patron saint: If you see this man anywhere near your favorite TV series, odds are it's jumped the shark."

This used to be a stand-alone site: http://www.jumptheshark.com

But it looks like TV Guide bought them. I don't know if the quote is still there, but there used to be a picture of Ted McGinley on the site and it said "Our patron saint: If you see this man anywhere near your favorite TV series, odds are it's jumped the shark."

Yeah, his character was the cosmic replacement for Richie on Happy Days when Richie went off to join the army (Ron Howard left the show). I beleive he was Mrs. C's nephew. He was a teacher, and I remember that the Fonze became a teacher too. Yeah, it was all down hill after Fonzy jumped the shark.

If a celebrity seems to self destruct can their career be said to have "jumped the shark"?

I can think of quite a few real life situations where it seemed a lot like "shark jumping", I'll leave others to draw and discuss such conclusions.

As much as I love the show I think Mythbusters is inching up the ramp. And look they even had several shark specials.

I have to agree with you there. I think they're simply running out of material to test. There's only so many myths out there, I suppose.

Still, as long as they have big explosions, mutilated crash test dummies and Kari Byron on the show, I'll watch. :D

Let's see here, scripted shows that I think are heading for the ramp....

I would say Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles after the season finale. Some may have liked it, but I was very much sitting in the WTF moment.

Heroes could be giving the rumblings but hard to say. This season started weak, got really good, but then some episodes are just, well, "wobbly". And it will all be resolved again next week. So who can tell.

CSI: Miami - Horiatio caught the reflection of that shark in his mirrored shades about 3 seasons ago. Its the car wreck of procedural crime dramas on TV anymore.

And season 8 of Firefly is just plain crazy. I mean what was Joss Wheadon thinking? Wash has been reprogrammed as a Sleeper assassin. Inara hooking up with Jayne behind Mal's back? Blue Sun back from the black hole that sucked down their space station at the end of season 6 and the redicsovery of Earth That Was as the season finale last week? I think its time this show was taken off the air and puts us all out of our misery.

T:TSCC won't be able to Jump the Shark as it has been cancelled. Yep, that was the SERIES finale instead of a season finale.

Since Fox moved it to the death slot that is Friday night I am not surprised. Although I guess it probably gave Chuck a ratings boost.

And that is how the series is going to end? Smeg. I rather liked Reese taking the bullet in a firefight. Not heroic, but darkly grim. And what was up with the T-1000? Ahh... well.... The world may never know.

I stopped watching after the first episode of the second season. Just couldn't get enough interest up in me to watch more. Was having the same problem with BSG but just couldn't take my eyes off the train wreck that show became. Granted it was usually several days after the episode aired (BSG) that I watched it.

I stopped watching after the first episode of the second season. Just couldn't get enough interest up in me to watch more. Was having the same problem with BSG but just couldn't take my eyes off the train wreck that show became. Granted it was usually several days after the episode aired (BSG) that I watched it.

I did stick with it, and it did get better (John quit whining so much thankfully). BSG I thought did get better this season, but then the ending had its own issues too.

And season 8 of Firefly is just plain crazy. I mean what was Joss Wheadon thinking? Wash has been reprogrammed as a Sleeper assassin. Inara hooking up with Jayne behind Mal's back? Blue Sun back from the black hole that sucked down their space station at the end of season 6 and the redicsovery of Earth That Was as the season finale last week? I think its time this show was taken off the air and puts us all out of our misery.

Wash died in the movie after season 1. You must have meant the robotic gigolo replica of Wash that joined the crew in Season 3.

I think the show jumped the shark in season 7 when Shepherd Book was revealed to have been reincarnated as the next Dalai Lama but left his home planet of New Tibet and joined the crew at age 5. He was a child Buddhist weapons genius who added a turbolaser to Serenity and he becomes the new gunner? Come on! And his relationship with River is just a tad too kinky for my tastes.

Much as I hate to say it, I think "Heroes" might be on the verge of jumping the shark. It seems like it's going to improve, and then incrementally falls short.

I'm not willing to go that far. Heroes remains entertaining and I look forward to it every Monday. It falls short in many ways, but It's still pretty good most of the time.

Wash died in the movie after season 1. You must have meant the gigolo replica of Wash that joined the crew in Season 3.

I think the show jumped the shark in season 7 where Shepard Book was revealed to have been reincarnated as the next Dalai Lama but left his home planet of New Tibet and joined the crew at age 5. He was a child Buddhist weapons genius who added a turbolaser to Serenity and he becomes the new gunner? Come on! And his relationship with River is just a tad too kinky for my tastes.

Yeah, and what the hell was with that Book/River pregnancy "Star child" bull****? I mean, thankfully the "ret conned" that away with the whole "psychedelic engine exhaust/ mass hallucination" thing on board Serenity II. I saw it coming though. I knew it was all fake when River actually finally DID kill Jayne with her brain. I was all like,"no way she would do that after they found out they were cousins."

Did you catch the end of the season when River puked though? Morning sickness? I guess well have to wait and see.

I'm not willing to go that far. Heroes remains entertaining and I look forward to it every Monday. It falls short in many ways, but It's still pretty good most of the time.

I just worry with the "Sylar-as-Gollum" thing they're dabbling with in the last episode, and the Danko is no longer a threat / Oh wait, he still is rollercoaster. They had a fantastic last season, bad start to this, then it got good, and then... I don't know. It's got fantastic potential, but I worry that they'll miss the mark.

I guess next week will give us a good idea of where it's going, but I'm sure that NBC thanks you for keeping the faith! ;)