D6 Online 3.0

I've been thinking about running another game after this chapter of the Star Wars game is done,

The concept is simple yet stylised, a Noir, Supernatural Western

Think Deadlands (but this isn't deadlands) meets Sin City (graphic novel or movie)

In this you can play one of the cursed (werewolf), one of the risen (but not a zombie, think the Crow, you died but come back to finish something) the inspired, gamblers, gunslingers, (maybe bulletslingers, think wanted) etc

But this is all played in a Noir way, you have a focus on internal narrative (that is more important to play than your normal character interaction)

Done in a slick, tight, stylised way, but kept very simple,

Who wants to play?

Can you give more examples how this works? Im pretty fuzzy on the idea

in what way? , game play? or setting?

Still working on the setting

Still working on the Game play

LOL

Game play is really down to players style/input, (for now, but thinking of some sort of system to reward this, like some degree of narrative control over the games story maybe) you still chat and talk amongst the PC's and NPC's as normal, but your character would also spend alot of time in an internal narrative, exploring what and why you are doing what you do, covering your history, the way you perceive things, and the putting of 2+2 together etc, (the best way to see this is to watch an old pulp noir film or Sin City, or even Magnun PI) Most dialog is internal, but only the main PC's do this, NPC's don't need to, So you simply write more of your thoughts as an Interior monologue,

The game would aim to be shorter than a normal game, but alittle more intense,

it is a (in order of content) Noir, Western, Horror,

(And there are zombies (just not PC zombies) they are a plague,)

See here

now imagine it as a western...

I am not interesting in a wild west game. Now if you did a noir Sin City style game you would have my interest

Its not wild west, its noir west,

Later on if I can fix a system for it (I'm getting there) it could be used for other noir type games, but right now I don't want to do the same setting as sin city (its been done) but something new,

The way its looking right now for the system is that the players can control and direct alot of the story (in fact you don't even need the gm to have a complete story, just a starting point, and see what the players do with it)

The gm as always can veto, or roll with anything the players choose to direct

more later.....

That sounds truly awesome for me as a long-time Deadlands player. I'd be up for it depending on shedule issues and if this is a chat game (not interested in play by post games).

Well it was for a PBP game, but if you like the idea stay tuned, you could still use the ideas for your tabletop game, ;)

it will have few stats, a compressed skill list, and a way for a players internal narrative to influence or control the direction of the story,

The way its looking right now for the system is that the players can control and direct alot of the story (in fact you don't even need the gm to have a complete story, just a starting point, and see what the players do with it)

The gm as always can veto, or roll with anything the players choose to direct

more later.....

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I feel this is a great idea. And I know from personal experience that this style of game play can work.

I'm a bit vague on what noir means. Seems like personal introspection...but I might be way off.

I'm also a HUGE believer in build it and they will come, campaigns. :)

Basically meaning, that if you're really passionate about an idea, AND are seriously committed to running it... if you build it and put out player calls in the right places, you'll find a handful of eager participants. I'd be happy to help you recruit, this story driven style might appeal to some of the players in my site as well. If you make an official game call, I'd be happy to post it there for you.

I also have a list of some other places that welcome game calls from GMs. So, don't be discouraged if you don't get a lot of people interested, if you're REALLY passionate about it... I really think you could get some players.

ON THE OTHER HAND. *grin*

If you're just wanting to run a fun game for your existing chums, then disregard what I said. :) I know how much work a game can be, especially the building it part.

Just some random encouragement. *smoochies*

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I feel this is a great idea. And I know from personal experience that this style of game play can work.

I'm a bit vague on what noir means. Seems like personal introspection...but I might be way off.

I'm also a HUGE believer in build it and they will come, campaigns. :)

Basically meaning, that if you're really passionate about an idea, AND are seriously committed to running it... if you build it and put out player calls in the right places, you'll find a handful of eager participants. I'd be happy to help you recruit, this story driven style might appeal to some of the players in my site as well. If you make an official game call, I'd be happy to post it there for you.

I also have a list of some other places that welcome game calls from GMs. So, don't be discouraged if you don't get a lot of people interested, if you're REALLY passionate about it... I really think you could get some players.

ON THE OTHER HAND. *grin*

If you're just wanting to run a fun game for your existing chums, then disregard what I said. :) I know how much work a game can be, especially the building it part.

Just some random encouragement. *smoochies*

Noir, is alittle more than personal introspection, but that is a huge part of it,

its more of a style, everything in the outside world is reduced, is streamlined, in some ways almost to an abstract degree, but the internal part of the characters adds more detail, it is very character focused,

What I'm thinking right now, is to let the players run with anything they can think off story wise,

So, say, you are playing a Risen character out for justice on the five people who killed you, and you ride in to town, (at this point I would allow the you to describe the town and its people, and this is what would be in the game, if you come up with something damaging to the already on going story you still gets what you describe, but at a cost of "narrative/story points" (the GM is the only one to know how many points a character has at any moment in the game, the players never know) you can get more "narrative/story points" in game by making the situation worse for yourself, playing up a character flaw/weakness, or as a reward for good or interesting story ideas,

You can also spend these "narrative/story points" in the normal way of Fate points, at the players request etc (if they have them, but the dice roll result is still kept hidden)

If you screw up so bad that you get in to negative "narrative/story points" then the GM can do something nasty to you, (introducing negative story developments or just give the bad guys the bonuses, its very fluid)

So the players are also GM's for the sake of the story, but the GM is the one that draws those story ideas in to the game, supporting the best ones,

(and you already know what happens if you abuse this lol)

This is more of an experimental idea at the mo,

but the framing system is getting better, the rest of the system I can slam together blindfolded standing on one leg in my sleep, lol,

So if I really really needed too and had the time, I could start this game to day,

Its not a difficult game to play once you can grasp the concept (it does give the players alot of freedom not normally seen in a game) and Kalzazz don't underate yourself man, I know you're not thick, you could do this easly ;)

And Chairman, Thanks for the offer ;)

Thanks for the explanation. I like the sound of it and I like the old west setting as well (assuming that's what you mean when you say noir west).

This could be fun and make a great story. The difficulty might be more with finding the kind of players interested in driving such a story based game, more so than creating the stystem. I actually like the idea of the narrative points for good role play and such.

If this gets off the ground I'd like to read along, methinks. :)

Another great thing about a story driven game is the pace can be quite a bit faster than a traditional pbp or pbem, because the players feel empowered to write further w/o GM input. Sometimes entire scenes, that could bring a pbp to a grinding halt, can be written effectively by the player that introduces his own challenges and such.

There are some great examples of story driven games at my site, a new one is ICONS, and while I don't run it, I think the GM is doing an even better job than myself at driving the story. Then again...I'm insane and am juggling 13 characters in my game, so it's a mad house, keeping up. *grin* I can't say no!

Thanks for the explanation. I like the sound of it and I like the old west setting as well (assuming that's what you mean when you say noir west).

Yes old West, but with a supernatural twist or two

This could be fun and make a great story. The difficulty might be more with finding the kind of players interested in driving such a story based game, more so than creating the stystem. I actually like the idea of the narrative points for good role play and such.

Well thats just a system to keep things on track, to stop any rouge player from doing too much harm, yet supporting those that add to the game,

If this gets off the ground I'd like to read along, methinks. :)

Yeah, its a new concept, and until some gutsy players step up to show the others, it could be tough for others to grasp

Another great thing about a story driven game is the pace can be quite a bit faster than a traditional pbp or pbem, because the players feel empowered to write further w/o GM input.

Thats the idea ;)

Sometimes entire scenes, that could bring a pbp to a grinding halt, can be written effectively by the player that introduces his own challenges and such.

And thats why it needs a structured system to handle this,

none of this is off the cuff,

There are some great examples of story driven games at my site, a new one is ICONS, and while I don't run it, I think the GM is doing an even better job than myself at driving the story. Then again...I'm insane and am juggling 13 characters in my game, so it's a mad house, keeping up. *grin* I can't say no!

Crap 13! :eek: you got it bad :D

I can only handle maybe one or two GM'ing games, and only a few playing,

Maybe you should try this game?,

I think this is the sort of game that plays strictly to my weaknesses as a player, but heh, why not . . . . it can be a learning experience

Im in

Its not wild west, its noir west,

Later on if I can fix a system for it (I'm getting there) it could be used for other noir type games, but right now I don't want to do the same setting as sin city (its been done) but something new,

Too bad, because a Sin City type setting, I am not interested in a western type game.

Oh well

I think this is the sort of game that plays strictly to my weaknesses as a player, but heh, why not . . . . it can be a learning experience

Im in

Cheers Kalzazz :D

That one

Crap 13! :eek: you got it bad :D

I can only handle maybe one or two GM'ing games, and only a few playing,

Maybe you should try this game?,

It does seriously pique my interest and that's the truth. ...my time commitment is a concern though. I've got my mouth full in the 'bitten off more than I can chew' arena.

I've always wanted to play the damsel in distress type in a western game. *grin* ...and the completely useless nature of such a character, wouldn't round out a small cast very well.

...but ...I'm still following along and, perhaps if there's opportunities for secondary characters or minor/major NPCs... that might be something that I could do. Cuz, I do check the site multiple times a day. *shrug* I just hate making any commitments that I can't follow through with.

Okay here is a quick post of the basic ideas, it will use Legend D6

(but use a different damage system)

The stats

Vitality

Coordination

Reason

Awareness

Presence

The Cursed (Werewolves)

Gain +1 Vitality (and an extra +1 during a full moon)

and can heal one point of damage every 5 turns

or do nothing but focus on healing and get one point every 2 turns

You may transform in to your wolf form at anytime, but it takes three turns to make the change,

In Wolf form you double Vitality and movement rates,

+1 Coordination, +1 Awareness and Heal one point per turn of normal damage, only falling unconscious when taken to death via normal damage,

Silver and fire damage is doubled and does not regen, you may also be killed by being hacked apart while unconscious (x2 max damage)

All Reason based tests are double difficulty while in wolf form

People will fear you if they find out you are cursed, and will do their best to drive you out of town,

The Risen

Can heal from all forms of damage at a rate of one point every ten turns,

(but can choose to slow this healing rate by years if they wish)

They can not die, unless by magic or the reason for returning is removed,

Forgetful

you have the power to make people forget you were there

you affect the number of people equal to you Presence socre per Story point,

Bad Memory

You don't know how you came back only why,

Your memory before then is poor, and you may not use narrative for anything contected to your long term past (but other players can) without the cost of a story point,

it hurts to remember,

The Risen are rare and people know very little on this subject

Bulletslinger

Everything moves in slow motion for a bulletslinger in combat,

They may add their Awareness to their Coordination while in this state,

but after each time they use this ability they lose one point from Reason, Awareness or

Presence, for 1d6 hours (times and penalties are added together for multiple uses) due to the mind splitting headaches that follow,

they are the only characters who can use "narrative" during combat,