D6 Online 3.0
hellsreach

OpenD6 Update Thread

I contacted the RPGnow.com customer service to ask about this. They contacted WEG and WEG told them that these links are not authorized by WEG and are illegal.

That is extremely interesting.

They are hosted by the owner of West End Games. How can the owner of the company be illegally hosting his own products?

Maybe they are illegally linked. They looked like legitimate links to me too.

Maybe they are illegally linked. They looked like legitimate links to me too.

http://www.wegfansite.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18803&postcount=84

In the post linked above Eric Gibson himself provides the links (on page 9 of this same thread), and near the beginning of this thread he discusses the release of them as OGL content.

Wish we had a Hellsreach-signal on the roof to summon him from the Hellsreach-cave...

Edited by Lee Torres
The most informative thread in the world...

http://www.wegfansite.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18803&postcount=84

In the first post linked above Eric Gibson himself provides the links (on page 9 of this same thread), and near the beginning of this thread he discusses the release of them as OGL content.

Wish we had a Hellsreach-signal on the roof to summon him from the Hellsreach-cave...

Hmm . . . I don't know who RPGnow.com talked to then.

Once again, a huge thanks to Temprus who affixed the appropriate OGL to the D6 books, while also skillfully maintaining the source formatting.

I have just uploaded the following D6 books to the website. As before, the syntax to the download files are:

http://www.westendgames.com/files/weg51xxxOGL.pdf where xxx is the last three of the the books unit number.

D6 Space (weg51012OGL.pdf)

D6 Fantasy (redux) (weg51013OGL.pdf)

D6 Fantasy Locations (weg51020OGL.pdf)

D6 Magic (weg51024OGL.pdf)

They are hosted by the owner of West End Games. How can the owner of the company be illegally hosting his own products?

They contacted WEG and WEG told them that these links are not authorized by WEG and are illegal.

Hi fjw70, and welcome to the board. I do not believe this, but hopefully Eric will come on here when he is able to and set things strait.

I think it is possible that they did not really contact "WEG", and instead just said that they did, making a judgement themselves that these weren't legal because the links were posted in a fan forum. Maybe they honestly confused this with another situation. They probably have experiences with cases where copyrighted works are available for illegal downloads, but that is not the case here.

The links are not hosted by this fan site. They are hosted on the official WEG site, owned by the copyright owner of the works, and now D6 is open anyway.

I contacted the RPGnow.com customer service to ask about this.

Why would you do this? RPGnow.com is in the business to sell PDFs, and they have been allowed to sell these particular works since before these works became OGL. Just because they became available for free doesn't necessarily mean that they are not allowed to continue to sell them. Eric may not care about his cut, but RPGnow makes money by selling the works of others. It's free enterprise.

Of course, most people will only buy them if they don't know they are avaialble for free, like you did. I understand the feeling of finding out you spent money you didn't need to, but I don't see any reason to contact RPGnow.com as if they had done something wrong by charging you. Just because they are available for free elsewhere doesn't mean that RPGnow.com is required to have them available for free also.

I bought physical printed copies of ALL the Purgatory D6 books, most of them right before they went OGL. But I personally don't begrudge those expenditures, and I have only ever used one of the books so far in actual play. I feel proud to have supported the D6 system for all the joy it has given me in the past 21 years. Now I have all the PDFs for free (that I am also not using). :cool:

Why would you do this? RPGnow.com is in the business to sell PDFs, and they have been allowed to sell these particular works since before these works became OGL. Just because they became available for free doesn't necessarily mean that they are not allowed to continue to sell them. Eric may not care about his cut, but RPGnow makes money by selling the works of others. It's free enterprise.

Of course, most people will only buy them if they don't know they are available for free, like you did. I understand the feeling of finding out you spent money you didn't need to, but I don't see any reason to contact RPGnow.com as if they had done something wrong by charging you. Just because they are available for free elsewhere doesn't mean that RPGnow.com is required to have them available for free also.

I bought physical printed copies of ALL the Purgatory D6 books, most of them right before they went OGL. But I personally don't begrudge those expenditures, and I have only ever used one of the books so far in actual play. I feel proud to have supported the D6 system for all the joy it has given me in the past 21 years. Now I have all the PDFs for free (that I am also not using). :cool:

Of course they can still sell them if they want to (and WEG agrees), but I thought they may want to remove product that was available from the publisher for free.I simply gave them the info and let them make the call.

I wasn't upset with anyone, but it never hurts to ask for a refund. They did seem appreciative that I brought it to their attention.

I don't blame them. I don't think they wouldn't want to make a few more bucks off of people willing to pay for them. They have no motivation to remove them from sale. They've done nothing wrong by continuing to sell them.

I don't blame them. I don't think they wouldn't want to make a few more bucks off of people willing to pay for them. They have no motivation to remove them from sale. They've done nothing wrong by continuing to sell them.

No, but lying about the posting on here being illegal is wrong.

Indeed. The question is, who lied about the posting? It wouldn't be Eric/WEG, so someone else somewhere has gotten confused. Or OBS never actually contacted Eric, and just assumed any posting of the PDFs was illegal (a fair assumption in their defense).

True, but being mistaken is not a moral offense. In their defense, they may have gotten this situation mixed up with one that is really an illegal posting. I'm sure it happens a lot in this pirate-infested world we live in. I just wanted to point out that if someone is telling you something that is incorrect, but they believe that it is correct, they are not lying. Lying is knowlingly, intentionally misleading someone. Yes, that is possible here but there are other innocent possiblilities. They should be given the benefit of the doubt.

True, but being mistaken is not a moral offense. In their defense, they may have gotten this situation mixed up with one that is really an illegal posting. I'm sure it happens a lot in this pirate-infested world we live in. I just wanted to point out that if someone is telling you something that is incorrect, but they believe that it is correct, they are not lying. Lying is knowlingly, intentionally misleading someone. Yes, that is possible here but there are other innocent possiblilities. They should be given the benefit of the doubt.

I won't say outright that they've lied, but given past experiences with end-sellers where their money is concerned, I know which one I consider the more likely. At best, I'd bet they never bothered to contact anyone, which I still consider lying, just about a different point in the process.

I just happen to discover Open D6 when searching the internet for D6 Star Wars related material. I'm thrilled that WEG is releasing the D6 pdfs for free and will probably purchase the Septimus pdf to show my gratitude. As for RPGNow, the D6 Core books are now listed as "$0.00," so they got the message. Any word on when the next OGL pdfs will be available?

Hmm, it seems that when the prices for the core books dropped to nothing, they just added it all to the Space opera setting (can't spell the name and i'm not gonna go look it up...) so the MSRP of 15 dollars is now ballanced by a bundle price of 100 bucks.... i don't think it's gonna be bought like that. :D

I just happen to discover Open D6 when searching the internet for D6 Star Wars related material. I'm thrilled that WEG is releasing the D6 pdfs for free and will probably purchase the Septimus pdf to show my gratitude. As for RPGNow, the D6 Core books are now listed as "$0.00," so they got the message. Any word on when the next OGL pdfs will be available?

Hmm, it seems that when the prices for the core books dropped to nothing, they just added it all to the Space opera setting (can't spell the name and i'm not gonna go look it up...) so the MSRP of 15 dollars is now ballanced by a bundle price of 100 bucks.... i don't think it's gonna be bought like that. :D

RPGNow.com WEG page

I think this completely solves the mystery about them supposedly contacting "WEG" and being told those free PDF download links were illegal. They now have all the D6 PDFs that are currently available for free by WEG download for free on their site too. Guess they decided not to complete with free afterall. :)

Whether anyone was being dishonest or not, it is now clear Eric Gibson did NOT really advise them that the free downloads were illegal.

The ones not currently available for free are still being sold at the previous price. They are not only avaialble as a bundle. All is good.

RPGNow.com WEG page.

The ones not currently available for free are still being sold at the previous price. They are not only avaialble as a bundle. All is good.

yea, but fires of ammeratsue (sp) is being priced for 100 bucks in the bundle. :D it's MSRP is 15, and the bundle price is suposed to be a discount. that's what i was talking about. lol. ah well. i'm just glad this stuff is getting out there.

Lord Damian

yea, but fires of ammeratsue (sp) is being priced for 100 bucks in the bundle. :D it's MSRP is 15, and the bundle price is suposed to be a discount. that's what i was talking about. lol. ah well. i'm just glad this stuff is getting out there.

Lord Damian

this bundle you mean? if so that one its just because its the easier way, everything else in it is priced 0. think they got the original price for them separated and the % of what you save wrong tho :D

I knew what were talking about. It seems that they just arbitrarily put the $100 price on one of the items in their haste to update the bundle. To see if a bundle is a deal, you look at the price for each of the items seperately added together, compared to the bundle price. It doesn't matter how they break down the prices for each item within the bundle itself.

Fires of Amatsumara still being only $15 individually was what I want to make sure is clear to everyone reading this thread.

If you go to the page linked below on their site, you will notice they are still charging for the core books.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=468&products_id=29204&it=1

This one's a no-brainer.

They are still charging for the core books... as a 3-PDF bundle only. Since they did change the prices on the individual PDFs that are available for free to $0, I no longer think they are just hoping that people will pay for free stuff if they don't know it is free. This is new revelation for RPGNow.com, so they probably just haven't gotten around to eliminating this irrelavent bundle yet.

Again, I want it to be clear that the 3 core PDFs are currently available for free download individually. It's progress.

My only question is why the two PDFs with the smallest page count have the largest file size?

Both Space Ships and Fantasy Creatures have a page count of 98 but the first is 50MB in size and the latter is 122MB!!

Meanwhile the 146 page Fantasy and Adventure core books are only 14MB and 25MB respectively.