D6 Online 3.0
hellsreach

OpenD6 Update Thread

OpenD6 OGL

Moving forward, OpenD6 is ACTIVE. By that I mean the the system is now open as previously discussed. I have yet to publish the actual SRD for the D6 System, but that is coming. For the record, all of the text copyrights to the 51000 series of books is cover by OpenD6 and will be released as part of the evolving OpenD6 SRD.

The 51000 series of books include:

51005 The D6 System: The Customization Roleplaying Game (a.k.a. the D6 Cookbook)

51011 D6 Adventure

51012 D6 Space

51013 D6 Fantasy

51015 D6 Fantasy Creatures

51016 D6 Adventure Locations

51017 D6 Space Ships

51019 D6 Gamemaster Screen and Aid

51020 D6 Fantasy Locations

51021 D6 Adventure Creatures

51022 D6 Space Aliens I

51024 D6 Vade Mecum of Magic

The previous is all released under the OGL v1.0a. Per that license, I'm designating the D6 System, and OpenD6 and any derivative trademark as Product Identity (PI) meaning it is not open under the OGL. Rather, the trademarks to the D6 System will be subject to a separate System Trademark License (STL). I still need to put together the exact wording of the STL, however the skinny will simply be, to use the D6 System and OpenD6 trademarks, you have to submit any newly developed share-alike OpenD6 material (non- PI) to me, or ultimately to the OpenD6 website (when it is finally working fully) for archival. There are not other content restrictions. Simply put, whatever you were going to release as open under OpenD6's OGL, should be archived in a single central location and that location is OpenD6.com.

Ultimately, someone will ask if the Legend System (D6 legend) is covered under this license. Yes, it is. However Legend system was never produced in a purely generic form and I cannot as easily indicate what may and may not be used. Legend is, for all intents and purposes, merely a variation of the basic D6 System and, since the OpenD6 OGL allows you to create variations, Legend is naturally covered. Putting the Legend system into the OGL is another matter however. It is very time consuming to create text for the OGL and naturally my focus must be on creating commercial material that we have in the works for GenCon. To that end, any assistance anymore wishes to provide in creating the text is a easily dissected or dissectable format either for Legend, or D6 will be appreciated.

OpenD6.com

As most know, OpenD6.com's back end system is being actively worked on by a passionate and underpaid developer. Though still much more has to be done on this ambitious project, a lot of progress has been made. The database is set up (though recent discussions have suggested changes are needing to be made regarding rules classifications, requisites while will ultimately determine how the server processes the rulebook designs) and is able to take data and the Workstation (the interface that you enter and edit rules data) is nearing completion. the OpenD6 workstation now supports images as well as text. This is useful for rules that require charts, maps, or other graphic features for full functionality, or simply if a developer wishes to include flavor art.

The website will now dynamically generate PDFs of individual selected rulests which is the first step in possibly the most ambitious part of OpenD6 -- fully customized rulebooks.

Not a lot of progress on OpenD6 this week. The developer had some commitments he had to attend to. Most of the work being done this week has revolved around debugging the PDF export functions.

Tomorrow, he and I have a meeting to discuss rules tagging and categorization, which will allow the server to perform system checks on a designed rulebook, thus ensuring you have all the individuals rules you need for a fully functioning game system.

The 51000 series of books include:

51005 The D6 System: The Customization Roleplaying Game (a.k.a. the D6 Cookbook)

Wow! This book is actually one of my more favorites for gleaning ideas from. Now, since it was so open and tossed about so many ideas, that basically means that any of those presented ideas can be used directly, correct?

OpenD6.com

*snip* the OpenD6 workstation not supports images as well as text. This is useful for rules that require charts, maps, or other graphic features for full functionality, is simply if a developer wishes to include flavor art.

The first sentence about the OpenD6 workstation is difficult to understand. Is the "not" supposed to be "now"? As in, the OpenD6 workstation now supports images as well as text. :confused: If so, that's great news!

Wow! This book is actually one of my more favorites for gleaning ideas from. Now, since it was so open and tossed about so many ideas, that basically means that any of those presented ideas can be used directly, correct?

Yes

The first sentence about the OpenD6 workstation is difficult to understand. Is the "not" supposed to be "now"? As in, the OpenD6 workstation now supports images as well as text. :confused: If so, that's great news!

Sorry for the typo, it is supposed to say "now." So yes, it NOW supports images as well as text.

As most know, OpenD6.com's back end system is being actively worked on by a passionate and underpaid developer.

Hello, passionate and underpaid developer here.

In my "free time" (I use that term loosely) I am working on launching my freelance web design website also. Once it is up and running, there will be a developer blog with specific OpenD6 website progress updates as well as screen shots, short tutorials, etc.

I'll be sure to drop a link to it whenever it's up and running.

Ultimately, someone will ask if the Legend System (D6 legend) is covered under this license. Yes, it is. However Legend system was never produced in a purely generic form and I cannot as easily indicate what may and may not be used. Legend is, for all intents and purposes, merely a variation of the basic D6 System and, since the OpenD6 OGL allows you to create variations, Legend is naturally covered. Putting the Legend system into the OGL is another matter however. It is very time consuming to create text for the OGL and naturally my focus must be on creating commercial material that we have in the works for GenCon. To that end, any assistance anymore wishes to provide in creating the text is a easily dissected or dissectable format either for Legend, or D6 will be appreciated.

Okay, a bit confused by the last sentences - are you asking for help on the OGL portions pertaining to Legend, or help putting together a D6 Legend SRD (System Reference Document)?

Okay, a bit confused by the last sentences - are you asking for help on the OGL portions pertaining to Legend, or help putting together a D6 Legend SRD (System Reference Document)?

I mean that my focus must be on continuing to make commercial products. While a fully welcome other folks to add to the OpenD6 SRD with Legend variant rules, doing so myself is a low priority. If someone wanted to, they could easily dissect DC Universe or Herc & Xena RPGs for all the mechanics to the Legend system and place that into the SRD. I'm not doing so anytime soon. Primarily because anyone doing so would have to take great pains to remove any and all material that related to DC trademarks. It's simply an issue of time (which I have to spend trying to make money) and reward (little reward for me personally since I don't foresee use Legend anytime soon).

However, lets say that you wanted to publish material under the Legend System variant. Well, it would behoove you to either cut and paste a "generic" variant of Legend so that I can look over it and release it into the SRD or create Legend variant rules yourself and send them to me (or wait until the website is live and upload it yourself). By doing so, that material will then be covered under OpenD6's OGL and you can use is per that license.

Simply put, if you want to use the Legend variant to publish material, great. But you are going to have to cut and paste the rules from the previous Legend games and send them to me, so I can put them in the SRD, because I don't have time to do it myself.

Hopefully, I'm being clearer.

I mean that my focus must be on continuing to make commercial products. While a fully welcome other folks to add to the OpenD6 SRD with Legend variant rules, doing so myself is a low priority. If someone wanted to, they could easily dissect DC Universe or Herc & Xena RPGs for all the mechanics to the Legend system and place that into the SRD. I'm not doing so anytime soon. Primarily because anyone doing so would have to take great pains to remove any and all material that related to DC trademarks. It's simply an issue of time (which I have to spend trying to make money) and reward (little reward for me personally since I don't foresee use Legend anytime soon).

However, lets say that you wanted to publish material under the Legend System variant. Well, it would behoove you to either cut and paste a "generic" variant of Legend so that I can look over it and release it into the SRD or create Legend variant rules yourself and send them to me (or wait until the website is live and upload it yourself). By doing so, that material will then be covered under OpenD6's OGL and you can use is per that license.

Simply put, if you want to use the Legend variant to publish material, great. But you are going to have to cut and paste the rules from the previous Legend games and send them to me, so I can put them in the SRD, because I don't have time to do it myself.

Hopefully, I'm being clearer.

Yep, good - my question was more whether you were looking for the legal language for something in the OGL or the game mechanics for the SRD. The former I can't really help with, the latter I certainly can!

So that's what I'll do! :D

Over the weekend, I plan to place a formal declaration of the opening (under the OGL 1.0a) for the text in the 51000 series D6 books. This should hopefully clear up some of the remaining questions on the validity of the license declaration and make sure the appropriate legal "i"s are dotted and "t"s are crossed.

Over the weekend, I plan to place a formal declaration of the opening (under the OGL 1.0a) for the text in the 51000 series D6 books. This should hopefully clear up some of the remaining questions on the validity of the license declaration and make sure the appropriate legal "i"s are dotted and "t"s are crossed.

I posted a message on rpg.net letting people know and posting to the thread where you point out all of the Open books.

Hopefully that will help get the word out and help build excitement.

I posted a message on rpg.net letting people know and posting to the thread where you point out all of the Open books.

Hopefully that will help get the word out and help build excitement.

Absolutely. Thank you.

Absolutely. Thank you.

Not a problem. I am answering the questions that I can answer and directing people here if they have any other questions I cant answer so you can answer them.

This thread has been stickied and will now become the official update thread for Open D6.

Helsleach, if you can post all updates in this thread it would be appreciated.

Currently there are multiple "workstations" being developed to facilitate adding information to the OpenD6 Database and those progress. Additionally, the search utility (allowing you to actually search and browse through material) is about halfway done -- the other half needing the workstations to be completed.

Is there progress on the SRD, by chance? That is one of those things that, even with the website done, people will need before they start to really, fully, utilize the website.

Is there progress on the SRD, by chance? That is one of those things that, even with the website done, people will need before they start to really, fully, utilize the website.

Let me, over the next day or two, attach the OGL to each PDF and host them for free. While this WILL fully satisfy the legalities of the OGL, I admit that those PDFs wouldn't necessarily be the most useful format for adapting to other game layout BUT, it's a start.

Let me, over the next day or two, attach the OGL to each PDF and host them for free. While this WILL fully satisfy the legalities of the OGL, I admit that those PDFs wouldn't necessarily be the most useful format for adapting to other game layout BUT, it's a start.

I missed this post before. I think that's great news. Having all the info readily available might not be optimal for game layout, but it will help with system-specific game design for those of us who don't own all the books. Looking forward to this.

Pete

Sounds great. Do you need help hosting? I could mirror it for you on my webhosting. Does the OGL allow others to host the files?

Sounds great. Do you need help hosting? I could mirror it for you on my webhosting. Does the OGL allow others to host the files?

Well, I need NEED help hosting it, but you are certainly free to do so. The OGL doesn't specifically ALLOW you to host other files because there is usually some items int he file that are not under Open license (like art, so example), but I personally don't care at all if people host these books.