D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
copeab

[baseball] The invasion begins tonight!

As to those "400lb armored behemoths" :rolleyes: Well, my brother played offensive lineman in college and weighed around 260lbs. He could definitely play more than 20 seconds.

college isn't NFL.

The thing I've found about baseball isn't so much the watching of the game...as it can be rather slow...but it's the atmosphere and relaxation that you enjoy from it. It's like Rerun said...the drinks, the food, the people and just relaxing for a while.

I've yet to go to a professional baseball game. I'd like to, but I haven't. Fortunately we've got one of the minor league teams for the Brewers in my town, so I go to those games a few times every year. It's never one of those things where you're highly engaged in the game the whole time. There might be a few times where things get "exciting", but for the most part you sit there, eat, drink, chat with people, enjoy the sunshine, watch the sunset, watch the lights come on and see the green grass of the outfield just glow in the soft, post-sunset darkness. It's the feeling of not having to think about any of the troubles out there for a while and to just enjoy things as they are.

I couldn't imagine watching a game in bad weather, or indoors, as you miss some of the experience, but everyone's got different things they like about it.

My favorite baseball memory was senior year in college. I and 3 other cadets from our AFROTC detachment got to perform as the color guard for opening ceremonies at a Chicago Cubs game.

Since I was the most senior cadet (and the tallest) I got to carry the Colors. Nothing more inspiring (and humbling) than carrying the Star and Stripes right in front of home plate on Wrigley Field while the National Anthem plays.

Best use of some of my 15 minutes of fame ever! :D

I know so far it's all been in good, clean fun in this thread about sports.

But FYI, I was aware that everywhere else in the world, "football" is what we "Yanks" call soccer to differentiate. And I am not overly Americentric either. I just momentarily forgot that my comments had an international audience, or I would have stated "American Football" to be more precise.

To be honest, I'm really not into sports that much at all (like most nerds). American professional football is the only sport I really care about (go Indianapolis Colts!), and I guess college football is a runner up. But that is really because I'm a Ohio State University Buckeyes fan by default. In Columbus Ohio, you are either on the OSU bandwagon, or you get run over by it. :cool:

I never got into soccer, but I admit I never really gave it a chance. We do have the Columbus Crew but I've never been to a match.

I have however given baseball many chances, including even going to a New York Yankees game and watching it from 3rd base. Snore. :P

I know the distinction well. I was merely playfully trolling.

I will say things about baseball, it's not really the most exciting thing to watch, but it has an atmosphere at the ballpark itself that is hard to beat.

Ive found it very fun to watch, both major and minor league (I used to see the Akron Aeros a lot, and seen a pretty good number of Indians and Astros games), though poor weather can be a bit of a damper (I dont like heat, and I also dont like it when its cold and raining and nigh to ice)

Ive only seen college football (and my old HS football, but I dont think that counts) in person, football is moderately interesting on TV when have other things to do, but in person just couldnt muster any interest

Basketball is very interesting to watch, at the college and NBA level, in person or on TV, but not quite so much as baseball

Hockey I enjoyed watching at the minor league level in person, but have never really been able to enjoy on TV

Golf I can enjoy on TV, but not very much in person. Auto racing Ive only seen in person at the minor league level (well, or independent league or whatever its called for auto racing) and was pretty entertaining. On TV not so much

And here's a sign of the Living Land's invasion - a dinosaur throwing out the opening pitch at a White Sox game:

(just ignore the date the video was actually shot on. ;))

And here's a sign of the Living Land's invasion - a dinosaur throwing out the opening pitch at a White Sox game:

(just ignore the date the video was actually shot on. ;))

Oh No! It's happening! Storm Knights Unite!!!