D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
copeab

[baseball] The invasion begins tonight!

Start of the baseball season ;)

Brandon

Oh my. Not my favorite thing...cuz it's always bumping my shows.

Although! My 5 year old's very first baseball practice evAR was on Saturday. *grin* So cute!

Baseball is the one true sport

Basketball is however nice to keep the sports cravings from being toooo bad though, particularly since my team is awesome this year

Yawn. Wake me up when football season starts. :)

Yeah. Nothing like watching 22 guys chase that ball up and down the field and try to get it past the keeper.

Moved to the Lounge- This is an off topic post.

Thank You

Technically it was a Torg-related post; the invasion of the United States began with the Living Land dropping into Shea Stadium on the first day of the baseball season.

Technically it was a Torg-related post; the invasion of the United States began with the Living Land dropping into Shea Stadium on the first day of the baseball season.

Shea Stadium... :( As someone who grew up on long island in NY, I often went to Shea to see games with my father... and now the memory is just what it is...memories... I would have liked to have taken my son there one day...oh well...:mad:

Shea Stadium... :( As someone who grew up on long island in NY, I often went to Shea to see games with my father... and now the memory is just what it is...memories... I would have liked to have taken my son there one day...oh well...:mad:

No place exists that I was taken to when I was younger. They've all been torn down, ripped up, rebuilt or replaced. And in some cases have just naturally changed (e.g. trees are bigger)

No place exists that I was taken to when I was younger. They've all been torn down, ripped up, rebuilt or replaced. And in some cases have just naturally changed (e.g. trees are bigger)

Doesnt that make you sad??? I know it does for me..

Nice try, but no :)

Yeah. Nothing like watching 22 guys chase that ball up and down the field and try to get it past the keeper.

Bah, that's not football. The fur'ners are confused.

Football is watching 22 guys MOVE an oddly shaped ball up and down the field and try to get is into a large zone without any keeper. THAT is football. :)

Bah, that's not football. The fur'ners are confused.

Football is watching 22 guys MOVE an oddly shaped ball up and down the field and try to get is into a large zone without any keeper. THAT is football. :)

Yup... We're confused and yet we outnumber you yanks in calling it football. While your "football" is more properly called "american football" and is a bastardization of rugby and football :)

Yup... We're confused and yet we outnumber you yanks in calling it football. While your "football" is more properly called "american football" and is a bastardization of rugby and football :)

*yawn* Whatev...

I just can't figure out how the rest of the world can stand to watch Soccer (AsSOCiation Football). Most of the Brits I knew said they only watched the highlights on telly at the end of the week. The ones who actually attend the games just riot and kill each other because the action on the pitch is so boring.

The violence in American Football is so much more entertaining. Nothing like seeing a linebacker flatten a quarterback as he's about to pass. (Yes, I'm a Chicago Bears fan. Two words: Brian Urlacher)

Whereas in Association Football, you have skinny little wimps feinting "injuries" while attempting to draw yellow cards and red cards. (Even soccer's punishments are wimpy. You get "carded" In American Football you get a foul or a penalty.) Heck, in hockey you get put in a special penalty box!

Most Europeans I know complain about the stop-start nature of American Football, but I'll take stop-start excitement over continuous boredom anyday. (and twice on Sunday!)

The stop-start nature of American Football builds tension. There's a buildup of anticipation and then you watch as the play unfolds. In Soccer, there's no tension... just a steady-state of boredom occasionally punctuated by a goal (if you're lucky).

Sure, we bastardized rugby and soccer to make American Football, but we made it better. Just like we bastardized cricket and rounders and made something better: baseball.

You folks can have your wimpy sports and continue to kill each other in the stands. We'll just let our teams beat the crap out of each other on the field and shout "Wait til next year!" to our fellow spectators.

yeah. sorry. I don't find American Football to be exciting at all... A game with 60 minutes on the clock takes 3 hours to play? thanks, but no thanks.

As for baseball... talk about a yawner of a game...

yeah. sorry. I don't find American Football to be exciting at all... A game with 60 minutes on the clock takes 3 hours to play? thanks, but no thanks.

At least there is an official (public) clock. Who knows when the soccer match is over? Apparently whenever the official decides to look at his wristwatch and blow the whistle.

As for baseball... talk about a yawner of a game...

Yeah, not exactly my cup o' tea either, but I could say the same for cricket. *shrug*

Yawn. Wake me up when football season starts. :)

I know so far it's all been in good, clean fun in this thread about sports.

But FYI, I was aware that everywhere else in the world, "football" is what we "Yanks" call soccer to differentiate. And I am not overly Americentric either. I just momentarily forgot that my comments had an international audience, or I would have stated "American Football" to be more precise.

To be honest, I'm really not into sports that much at all (like most nerds). American professional football is the only sport I really care about (go Indianapolis Colts!), and I guess college football is a runner up. But that is really because I'm a Ohio State University Buckeyes fan by default. In Columbus Ohio, you are either on the OSU bandwagon, or you get run over by it. :cool:

I never got into soccer, but I admit I never really gave it a chance. We do have the Columbus Crew but I've never been to a match.

I have however given baseball many chances, including even going to a New York Yankees game and watching it from 3rd base. Snore. :P

At least there is an official (public) clock. Who knows when the soccer match is over? Apparently whenever the official decides to look at his wristwatch and blow the whistle.

Actually it is a public clock. The time runs and the ref, before it hits the 45 min period tells the officials the amount of stoppage time being allotted for the half. So, a game with 45 minute halves takes under 2 hours total to play (90 minutes + stoppage + half-time) and is very consistent about it.

The ref actually has two clocks. One that is kept running and the other that is stopped for certain events (e.g. player injury). The difference is the stoppage time.

Yeah, not exactly my cup o' tea either, but I could say the same for cricket. *shrug*

Never watched a match in my life. I have watched rugby and prefer it to the 400lb armored behemoths that can't play for more than 20 seconds at a stretch in the US.

Yeah, the best part about baseball isn't the game itself. It's going to Wrigley Field, enjoying a hot dog and a brew and checkin' out the girls in the bleachers. :)

As to those "400lb armored behemoths" :rolleyes: Well, my brother played offensive lineman in college and weighed around 260lbs. He could definitely play more than 20 seconds.

Don't get me wrong, I love rugby, too. Just a lot more injury prone than American Football.