D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Catstacker

[Torg] The Corsican's Descent

The Near Now. Two men meet in the loading bay of a rarely-used wharehouse near the quay. Neither of them are particularly worried about being seen here together, but occasionally they gaze nervously out over the sea. Darkness outlines the horizon, where an alien storm has cut away a part of the natural world and replaced it with madness. When their eyes skip to the horizon, it is as if they think they will catch the storm creeping towards them, like a dark predator stalking them, about to pounce and pull them into the darkness.

"It wasn't hard to convince him to go along with this crazy plan," the older man says, "He's run after wild schemes all his life, and if he weren't so lucky both of us would be dead by now. The old man will be glad to throw his life away fighting the impossible, as if that was his life's crowning glory. And I've been through it with him for so long, I might as well go down into hell with him. But I keep wondering, what do you hope to gain by sending us there, when there's so little chance of our success?"

The younger man is clearly less experienced, but his clothes and posture show his superior confidence and knowledge. He says, "When you know your enemy, you do not have to look for what you might profit, but simply invest in your enemy's failure. It is a small cost for a few weapons and a boat to return the prince to his home. If he can reclaim his crown, then the invaders will be reversed into a defensive posture. And even if he is stopped, that will surely cost our enemies very much in distraction and worry."

His opposite is resigned to a doom of following more enthusiastic men into ruin. "We still need mercenaries to create this distraction of yours," he says.

"This city has no shortage of dangerous and desperate men." the other responds, and turning to the metropolis that sprawls across the hills behind them, lets slip a small conspiratorial smile.

This thread is for a play-by-chat game of Torg. It happens shortly after the beginning of the war, and is played with beginning characters. If you want to play, please post your character sheets here, and state which day of the week you'd prefer to play on.

Whats up guys, still interested? Nothing happened the last days... Here's again my character and so far the best time so far looks like Wendsday 18pm est. Do we still got enough players?

First Name: Percy

Last Name: Cheval

AKA: Prince Charming

Height: 1.97m

Weight: 135kg

Attributes:

DEX: 11

STR: 12

TOU: 10

PER: 7

MIND: 7

CHR: 10

SPR: 9

Skills:

Acrobatics: 2

Charm: 6*

Dodge: 2

Intimidation: 1

Land Vehicles: 1

Lifting: 1

Maneuver: 2

Melee Weapons:1

Performance: 1

Persuasion: 1

Reality: 1

Trick: 1

Unarmed: 2

Stuff:

2 sets of normal clothes in a sports bag(jeans, sports jacket and sneakers), cellphone, Nintendo DS with a few games (depending on the date we're playing of course), 3 X-Men comics, credit card, some of the local currency in cash

Background:

Percy was always a simple man and slow for his age, mentally somewhat stuck in his childhood even as a man of 24. He always dreamt to be a big hero like the ones in the comics and his wrestling training was a nice way to live his dreams as a hero and shining knight in the ring. He never was successful though, his father tried managing him but his business experience managing his own taxi company in DC didn't transfer well to being a wrestling agent. He only wrestled in small amateur events and never made a living out of it, otherwise he worked in his fathers taxi company as driver. His massive body and fighting skills may be impressive and his greatest pride, but his most valuable asset is actually a friendly and disarming smile. Not one like a con man is able to put up at will as he's usually too simple to decieve others, but most people just like him when they meet him.

One might think that his moment came with the invasion, but that wasn't the case yet. Shellshocked like the many other refugees he escaped out of DC and had to deal with the loss of his family. He first took some assorted menial jobs before he was approached for a seemingly simple and straightfoward courier job that would lead him to Algiers...

@Warmduscher: Your character looks good! I've never GMed a character with that high of a Charm skill, so I'll review the interaction rules so that you can play it to the max. And since you're the first to post your character sheet, add 30,000 dinars to Percy's stuff, which was given to him by a very attractive geologist from Royal Dutch Shell that he met on the plane, and who also let him stay at her hotel room on his first night in Algiers.

The package that Percy brought into Algeria wasn't examined by the customs agent, a very friendly Berber that asked some embarrasingly personal questions. Did Percy try to figure out its' contents?

This game is set in the Near Now, which for simplicity is this year, with all of our history the same until the opening day of major league baseball, when "zones of silence" erupted across Borneo and New York. So you can have a Nintendo DS and a cellphone more compact than what they had in 1990.

Doc Hazzard - Science Detective (Alias Roger Furlong)

Height: 5’ 11”

Weight: 165 lbs

Gadget Hero

Dex 10

Str 8

Tou 9

Per 12

Mind 9

Cha 8

Spi 11

Reality 1 (12)

Acrobatics 1 (11)

Dodge 1 (11)

Fire Combat 1 (11)

Lockpicking 1 (11)

Stealth 1 (11)

Unarmed Combat 1 (11)

Air Vehicles 1 (13)

Evidence Analysis 1 (13)

Find 1 (13)

First Aid 1 (13)

Scholar (Chemistry) 3 (15)*

Trick 2 (14)

Weird Science 2 (11)

Language (English native, French) 1

Equipment:

Costume, Glue Gun (Web power, value 19), Browning Hi-Power pistol, 9mm ammo, chemistry set, hazard brand, 400 Royals

Roger Furlong was a chemist in Mobius’s “Human Enhancement” labs, working on a variety of focusing fluids for strange ray projectors. Around the time when all the scientists were gathered together, there was a breakthrough and an explosion that resulted in the first and only success... A young woman who could fly. The blast blew Roger out of his everyday grinding stupor as well... Dr. Mobius was evil, and about to spread his wickedness to another world! He was abusing both people and science and needed to be stopped! Fashioning a costume, he created the heroic persona of Doc Hazard, Science Detective, and uses his brain to battle evil, both solo and with his flying friend.

Roger was more comfortable with books than people for most of his life, always fascinated with science... that is his preferred solution to many problems, even when talking might work better. He affects the persona of a mysterious avenger because research shows criminals fear them... that’s what all the pulps show, and it does look neat. Despite the gravity of the invasion of Earth and danger at every turn, he’s never had a better time.... discovering new things and fighting crime are both quite exciting. He’s confident that science will prevail in the end.

Doc Hazzard’s costume is a brown leather aviator jacket with a triangular electrical hazard logo pinned to the left side. A cobalt blue bandana is tied over his nose and mouth and he wears red-lensed lab goggles, along with a fedora. In his secret identity, Roger favors bland suits. He is 5’ 11” tall and has a thoughtful, studious air, but sees much more than he lets on.

His notable weapon is his Glue Gun, an oversized handgun that fires a stream of special adhesive. His cigarette lighter is actually a thermite device that lets him brand the hazard symbol onto things (or people) as a warning to criminals.

A quote: <sinister laughter> “You are about to encounter a serious hazard - Doc Hazard!” or “We just need to think things through”

I like your character, Wheeljack, and he already has his own "Doc Hazzard" theme song ("Just a good old boy, never meaning no harm...")

Are you sure that you want to take adds in Scholar (Chemistry), Science, and Weird Science? There must be some overlap there, and you might want to concentrate your adds a little. Remember, whatever your science skill it will only be for knowledge at a Tech 21 level and under.

I'm not certain what the difference is between Scholar (Science) and Science is (I think that the Science skill is like science-teacher or reader-of-scientific-journals knowledge of science, where Scholar (science) is more practical scientific research ability,) and I don't think whoever wrote the World Book did either. So, if you want to edit your character sheet, feel free.

@Warmduscher: Your character looks good! I've never GMed a character with that high of a Charm skill, so I'll review the interaction rules so that you can play it to the max. And since you're the first to post your character sheet, add 30,000 dinars to Percy's stuff, which was given to him by a very attractive geologist from Royal Dutch Shell that he met on the plane, and who also let him stay at her hotel room on his first night in Algiers.

The package that Percy brought into Algeria wasn't examined by the customs agent, a very friendly Berber that asked some embarrasingly personal questions. Did Percy try to figure out its' contents?

Always good to have a friendly welcome :) . Percy propably won't try to figure out the contents, he may be curios, but too worried that he might break something. Always eager to please and he doesn't want to mess the job up.

I like your character, Wheeljack, and he already has his own "Doc Hazzard" theme song ("Just a good old boy, never meaning no harm...")

Are you sure that you want to take adds in Scholar (Chemistry), Science, and Weird Science? There must be some overlap there, and you might want to concentrate your adds a little. Remember, whatever your science skill it will only be for knowledge at a Tech 21 level and under.

Thanks! I'm not certain what the difference is between Scholar (Science) and Science is (I think that the Science skill is like science-teacher or reader-of-scientific-journals knowledge of science, where Scholar (science) is more practical scientific research ability,) and I don't think whoever wrote the World Book did either. So, if you want to edit your character sheet, feel free.

I'm not sure either... The Science skills seem more concerned with the actual invention process... and Evidence Analysis overlaps with the practical knowledge of chemicals when one comes across the results of their use. "Looks like a molecular acid ate through this padlock!" That might be a better Tag skill for a Science Detective, actually... just put a scientific spin on the results he gets.

I may be trusting the writers too much... the templates were written before the full Nile rules were available, and the core RAW treat the physical sciences just any other scholarly one, even though Science does cover it.

While normal Science does have the tech 21 limitation, it feels wrong for him to be totally clueless (no adds at all) about "real" science, which is much more common than Weird Science. "This 'Television' as you call it has no Z-Ray outlet. I can't tell you a thing about it."

I'll be making adjustments though...

Regarding the theme song, it's a bit ironic that he has no adds in Drive. :)

I like your "Science Detective" character, I think that has a lot of story possibilities, kind of like CSI:Cairo. I think Scholar (chemistry) is a better tag skill for him than evidence analysis, because any regular gumshoe might have the latter, but only a real scientist has his own portable chemistry set.:) I'll give you opportunities to use it, and as far as I'm concerned the scholar skill is specialized, so you'll have a lower difficulty using it.

You should be especially suspicious about the Gadget Hero template because the designer didn't even give it the option of having Weird Science, which is pretty obvious for that character. You can take whatever skills you want for your character (that goes for you too, Game Guy, in case the lack of skills offered for the Fast Hero turned you off of that template,) but when you only get 16 adds they run out pretty quick, so you want to feel they were well-spent.

I like your "Science Detective" character, I think that has a lot of story possibilities, kind of like CSI:Cairo. I think Scholar (chemistry) is a better tag skill for him than evidence analysis, because any regular gumshoe might have the latter, but only a real scientist has his own portable chemistry set.:) I'll give you opportunities to use it, and as far as I'm concerned the scholar skill is specialized, so you'll have a lower difficulty using it.

You should be especially suspicious about the Gadget Hero template because the designer didn't even give it the option of having Weird Science, which is pretty obvious for that character. You can take whatever skills you want for your character (that goes for you too, Game Guy, in case the lack of skills offered for the Fast Hero turned you off of that template,) but when you only get 16 adds they run out pretty quick, so you want to feel they were well-spent.

That was how I was picturing the skill working, so I'll keep it as we're on the same page. Switching out with Evidence Analysis lacked flavor, on further reflection.

That might be a way to make Scholar (something) a useful skill... have it work like Evidence Analysis when the evidence is covered by the scholar field, and the success level is bumped up by one in the EA result descriptions. So if someone was stabbed by an Aztek ritual dagger, Scholar (Archaeology) or (Anthropology) would tell you more than Evidence Analysis.

I may switch the Science add to bump up Weird Science, or maybe take Land Vehicles. My instinct is to spread the points as broadly as possible, I'll admit. The difference between 1 and 2 adds in a skill is not as great as between 0 and 1.

I may switch the Science add to bump up Weird Science, or maybe take Land Vehicles. My instinct is to spread the points as broadly as possible, I'll admit. The difference between 1 and 2 adds in a skill is not as great as between 0 and 1.

That's true for skills that you can't use unskilled, but for most skills there is only a 5% chance that you'll miss having the extra roll, and even then you still rolled a 20. I usually take adds in what I want to make my character great at, or at least rarely fail a roll.

For your character, I don't think he needs Land Vehicles because you already have a taxi-driving friend. I'd bump up Weird Science if you want to make or modify gadgets this game, but otherwise your other skills are screaming to be improved. You can never go wrong taking another add in dodge, and an extra add in Trick might make you a bit dangerous...

That's true for skills that you can't use unskilled, but for most skills there is only a 5% chance that you'll miss having the extra roll, and even then you still rolled a 20. I usually take adds in what I want to make my character great at, or at least rarely fail a roll.

For your character, I don't think he needs Land Vehicles because you already have a taxi-driving friend. I'd bump up Weird Science if you want to make or modify gadgets this game, but otherwise your other skills are screaming to be improved. You can never go wrong taking another add in dodge, and an extra add in Trick might make you a bit dangerous...

Bumping up Weird Science was my first thought. How much in the way of gadget construction are you interested in handling? Searching for the components, drawing up plans and making rolls to put the gizmos together is a big diversion from interesting things, and it also can cause power creep.

I was picturing more of a Green Hornet or Sandman type rather than a Doc Savage "invention for every situation" one. Perhaps some special bullets, like the typical "mercy bullet" that doesn't do lethal damage, or one loaded with radioactive trace powder to track down things shot with one. Ah, indecision. I'll finish up shortly.

I thought Doc Savage was your main inspiration, although the hazard brand is very much like The Spider's calling card. I'll give you room to improvise weird science devices if you write them into the story well, but since we're playing through chat, I don't want to keep the action suspended while you roll through the gadget design rules.

I'm not really worried about power creep (I can always throw a ravagon at someone who's gone too far,) I'm concerned about play delay. We can play as soon as everyone's ready.

I thought Doc Savage was your main inspiration, although the hazard brand is very much like The Spider's calling card. I'll give you room to improvise weird science devices if you write them into the story well, but since we're playing through chat, I don't want to keep the action suspended while you roll through the gadget design rules.

I'm not really worried about power creep (I can always throw a ravagon at someone who's gone too far,) I'm concerned about play delay. We can play as soon as everyone's ready.

Skills updated and edited in here, eliminated Science and Intimidate to bump up Weird Science and Trick to two each.

While the "science detective" title was borrowed from the later issues of Doc Savage's magazine, it's hard to run a "light" version of him... "Master of Every Skill, physical and mental giant" is hard to reduce down to PC levels, that's for sure.

The Spider, and Lobster Johnson, provided the inspiration for the Hazard Brand, while the basic attitude came from, of all people, Darkwing Duck.

Excellent. How's your character coming, Game Guy?

I have been having problems with the concept and also it has been kind of a hectic week. I want to play so please dont give up on me yet.

This was posted by Game Guy today:

Ok thats two characters. If we can get one more player then we can at least get going.

Which makes us waiting for his character pretty ironic. Warmduscher, Wheeljack, do you still want to play?

Sorry for the delay. I hope my character is alright:

Danger Girl – Flying Ace (Alias: Amy Sterling)

Cosm: Nile Empire

Height” 5’10 Weight: 124 Lbs Sex: Female

Hair Color: Slightly Curly to her shoulders

Eye Color: Blue

Dex: 12

Str: 9

Tou: 8

Per: 10

Mind: 9

Cha: 10

Spi: 8

Skills:

Reality:1 (9)

(Tag) Flight 3 (15)

Acrobatics 1 (13)

Dodge 2 (14)

Fire Combat (Pistol) 2 (14)

Lockpick 2 (14)

Unarmed Combat 2 (14)

Climb 2 (11)

First aid 2 (12)

Streetwise 1 (10)

Charm 2 (12)

Equipment:

Browning Hi-Power pistol, 9mm ammo, Tube of Red Lipstick, Flight Gear (Hat, Jacket, Pants), gold lighter

Background: Amy Sterling was an assistant in Mobius’s “Human Enhancement” lab when she was approached to become a test subject for his “Human Flight” experiment. While they asked if she wanted to be part of the experiment, it wasn’t really a request.

She was able to wound a few of the assistants before she was outnumbered and tied down so the experiment could be performed. When she awoke she had the ability to fly.

Amy become a more outgoing person after the experiment, prior to which she was very shy and introverted. Now she vows to use her powers to fight Dr. Mobius and get revenge for what he did to her.

Outfit: Amy’s outfit is a leather aviator’s jacket, leather pants and a leather flight helmet. On her jacket is a yellow triangle with the letter D in the middle.

Quote: “Danger is my middle name. Really, it is”