D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Wheeljack

[TORG] War Start Game looking for GM

Spinning off from the Mag-Trak game, as the prospective GM there seems busy... A number of players wanted to game, chat-format (OpenRPG or MapTools work well, if not plain AIM/YIM/what have you).

There was interest in playing something early in the invasion... character-wise, the Game Guy and I both wanted to do Nile heroes who knew each other, Hellsreach a Core Earth survivalist transformed to Living Land, Warmduscher a Core Earth wrestler.

(I'm presuming all the above are still interested, and hopefully not presuming too much).

Sound like something someone wants to run? Other players?

Just to revisit the idea, I has a Ventrilo server active and running and just waiting to be used and abused. If people prefer to play via audio, that is an option.

Typing is such a pain in my lazy butt.

I'm willing to GM, though I hadn't tried chat before last Wednesday. If anyone has the time to get me up to speed on OpenRPG or MapTools or Ventrilo, I'm willing to try them. Still, I'd like to have a forum in the Play by Post area where the players can post and edit their character sheets, and where I can cut and paste description and maps to a thread for easy reference by the players and onlookers.

If an administrator would create that forum for me, the name of the game is Torg: The Corsican's Descent. Anyone who wants to play should make up some beginning characters using the R&E rules. The game will begin in Algiers about 2 months after the start of the war, so transformed characters are possible but Space Gods, Tharkold, and Cyberpapal characters are not.

If everyone gets their characters done quickly, the game can begin later today, early tomorrow, sometime next week...

I've never run a game with OpenRPG or MapTools, but playing in them has been simple enough... if everyone can manage to set it up, OpenRPG is held to be the better product. It's a dedicated chat setup with a die-roller, in short, plus a map that you can move tokens around on if that appeals.

The GM types up descriptions, then players type out what their characters do... The only trick it to make sure that everyone isn't waiting on everyone else to type something... having a pose order makes that simple, and it's easy in combat, since there's a fixed init. order.

I only have the original basic set, not R&E... what differences in character generation should I know about? I'm at present planning on the Gadget Hero template with some minor tweaks (like the Weird Science skill).

And I'm very stoked about the game!

I'm still up for it and my character already is posted in that other thread :) . Just got to think for a story how my poor simpleton landed in Algiers.

Perhaps he got used as a mule in some Nile Empire smuggling plot? "Here's $5000 and an airline ticket, could you take this suitcase to Algeria? It's for my dear granny there." The bag could be filled with export-sensitive technology... like a ton of PS3 processors that Dr. Mobius plans to build an electronic brain with or something.

I only have the original basic set, not R&E... what differences in character generation should I know about?

Kansas Jim is the man to answer this question, but in my recollection, the main difference is that you generate characters with 16 skill points plus +3 in your tag skill instead of 16 including the +3 in your tag skill. And I think that those extra three adds go a long way to helping you flesh out your character, since you might spend them on skills that might otherwise seem less useful than combat skillz, like Artist, Beast Riding, Evidence Analysis, Language, Persuasion, or Water Vehicles (Roll to detect hints;).)

Another big difference is that all the skills are in the same place, rather than scattered through the sourcebooks, so your choices are more apparent. When I was writing up my character for the other game, I ended up taking two adds in Hypnosis, which I wouldn't have done if it hadn't been on the list next to the magic skills I was considering, and I think the character was more interesting with it.

There are some other differences, the number of starting miracles pops to mind, but don't worry, I'll check all the characters before we start. I'd like every character to have his native language stated, which he gets for free, and we'll assume everyone speaks enough english to get by. Extra languages cost one add or possibility each.

Oh, and if you're asking yourself "Why start in Algeria?" it just jumped into my head and I couldn't think of a reason why not. If you want to amend your character to rationalize the different start than the other game's, go ahead. I'll post the lead-in to the game once this game gets a forum of it's own to work in.

We can use Openrpgor we can use the Fan Forum chatroom (it has a dice roller).

Whatever works best I am open to

Ah, that's handy. Putting up maps looks like it'd be the big difference then. Even if we don't use tokens and tactical play, it can still be handy for illustration purposes. I guess the GM will deal the Drama Deck cards from his own deck and whisper to the players what they are.

I'm still working on my Gadget Hero (My new copy of the Nile Empire book should arrive tomorrow, with luck). Do you have any ideas for the team up history between your Fast Hero and him (or her?)

Ah, that's handy. Putting up maps looks like it'd be the big difference then. Even if we don't use tokens and tactical play, it can still be handy for illustration purposes. I guess the GM will deal the Drama Deck cards from his own deck and whisper to the players what they are.

Yes, and I know my way around Open RPG so I can be helpful if we use it

I'm still working on my Gadget Hero (My new copy of the Nile Empire book should arrive tomorrow, with luck). Do you have any ideas for the team up history between your Fast Hero and him (or her?)

Things have been a little busy here lately. I should have the afternoon free to look at finishing my character more, and I will try to let you know today some ideas I have on their history.

Yes, and I know my way around Open RPG so I can be helpful if we use it

I fought a bitter struggle to get it operating on my Mac, so if anyone has questions about that, I can help out.

Things have been a little busy here lately. I should have the afternoon free to look at finishing my character more, and I will try to let you know today some ideas I have on their history.

Sounds good! The big question is will they be Terran Expatriates who followed Dr. Mobius to Earth or people in the traveling empire that wised up?

I fought a bitter struggle to get it operating on my Mac, so if anyone has questions about that, I can help out.

But I take it you got it working?

Sounds good! The big question is will they be Terran Expatriates who followed Dr. Mobius to Earth or people in the traveling empire that wised up?

Not sure which way I want to go yet. As soon as I figure it out you will know

But I take it you got it working?

Wasn't easy... in fact, it was a struggle over a year, off and on, but yes, I did.

Not sure which way I want to go yet. As soon as I figure it out you will know

OK! Hmm, going by the template origins, the Fast and Gadget Heroes could be tied together by being at the same lab... the Gadget Hero's breakthrough helps empower the Fast Hero (perhaps by lab accident) and then the Shocktroopers come for them both.

Wasn't easy... in fact, it was a struggle over a year, off and on, but yes, I did.

It's too bad that Openrpg is so difficult to install. They should start from scratch and make something that doesnt require a ton of other installs just to get it to work.

OK! Hmm, going by the template origins, the Fast and Gadget Heroes could be tied together by being at the same lab... the Gadget Hero's breakthrough helps empower the Fast Hero (perhaps by lab accident) and then the Shocktroopers come for them both.

That works for me. If you want to PM me so we can discuss details I will be more then happy to talk to you about this.

I started a thread for you to post your character sheets, and I'll also add flavour text for players and observers to follow the story in case play takes more than one session.

http://www.wegfanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10988#post10988

Let me know what day of the week you want to play on. I thought that 6pm EDT would be a good time to play, unless there are players in another time zone that would rather play sometime else. I think we should play in the chat room here because that's easiest.

I started a thread for you to post your character sheets, and I'll also add flavour text for players and observers to follow the story in case play takes more than one session.

http://www.wegfanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10988#post10988

Let me know what day of the week you want to play on. I thought that 6pm EDT would be a good time to play, unless there are players in another time zone that would rather play sometime else. I think we should play in the chat room here because that's easiest.

I'm on Pacific time, but I can manage 6 PM on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday.

Earlier is cool with me. I usually have Wednesdays off, so I'm willing to do this whenever. I don't know how well playing in the middle of the day works for everyone else, though.

Hmm, 6pm eastern would be 1am in GMT+1? I'd prefer a bit earlier myself, but I can go with it if nessecary and Wensday would be ideal.

I can't go any early, as I have to work and I dont get home until between 5:30 and 6:00