D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
hellsreach

[Star Trek] I'm really trying hard...

I'm trying. I really am. I'm trying my hardest to HATE the coming Star Trek movie, but I'm failing miserably. Every trailer just makes me want to see it even more.

I'm such a failure.

I'm sick of it and all I've seen is the trailers. Abrams is turning Trek into Die Hard in Space... Kirk was never on the Enterprise until he took command of her (11 years after she was completed). The ship looks stupid and Abrams himself has said he wasn't a fan of Trek... doesn't bode well

I'm a die hard fan of the original Star Trek with Kirk and crew. That said, I'm still up in the air about this new one. I've only seen the teaser that first came out and nothing more. While "pretty" I know for a fact that it's going to shoot everything to hell when it comes to sticking with the original series as some of us know it. It kinda falls into the same shtick as Battlestar Galactica: we're gonna have someone "re-envision" it, change everything but the names and have some strange story arc that completely kills everything we've seen before.

I'm thinking I might see it, but at the same time I might pass it up at the theaters and just catch it on rental. If it's anything like the reboot of the Bond shows or Battlestar Galactica, I won't like it. If it's something like Transformers, it'll be an afternoon popcorn flick with no relevence to the story of the original crew (even though they use their names). If it's something like Spider Man, then you'll have oodles of new fans that will basically say that it's the best thing since sliced bread and it will become the new staple that everything is based on.

The real decision rests with each individual and how much they like/dislike the changes made in the new movie.

I guess I'm optimistic because I'm not really a huge Star Trek fan. I've seen every episode of every series. I've seen every movie and while I was entertained with most, I still cannot call myself a fan. Thus, I'm not tied to preexisting metaplot.

I guess I'm optimistic because I'm not really a huge Star Trek fan. I've seen every episode of every series. I've seen every movie and while I was entertained with most, I still cannot call myself a fan. Thus, I'm not tied to preexisting metaplot.

I didn't think I'd ever know anyone who has seen every episode and still not consider himself a fan. I'm a fan, but by no means a fan of everything. I haven't even seen every episode of TNG but I've seen enough of them (most) to know it was my favorite Trek series so far. I've seen enough of DS9 and Voyager to know I will never watch those entire series.

Die Hard in Space...

I wish they made more movies like that! That only makes me want to see it more. But I'm a Trek fan and a quality action movie freak.

The trailers have made it look grandiose, filled with sci-fi violence (and quality high-budget effects). Those are all good things to me. But honestly, I reallly don't pay too much attention to the trailers or any of the hype. Trailers can easily make bad movies look good, so the only way to really know if it's good is to watch the actual entire movie.

But I have seen every Trek movie on opening weekend since The Voyage Home in 86 (so that included the 2 stinkers of Star Trek V: There Is No God and Nemesis). I will continue that tradition. Then I will have an educated opinion of the movie.

I can't believe all the prejudiced fans out there, discriminating against the new movie because of the trailers, quotes from Abrams or "what is commonly held among true Trek fans". If you don't want to watch it, then don't. But also don't give an uneducated opinion about it. If you want to share your opinion, then wait until you've actually seen the movie.

And if you're gonna see the movie, then just give it a chance. If you buy into all the haters' predjudice, then you could poison your enjoyment of it before you even see it. Maybe it will be good, maybe it will suck.

I am looking forward to it, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much because I really don't care. The way I look at it, Trek was already dead. I have already accepted its passing years ago so anything else good that happens to come out of the franchise is bonus.

The original 23rd century crew is old, fat and dying off. With the three seven-year series, they totally ran the 24th century into the ground. Nemesis proved that even the superior TNG overstayed its welcome and brought the movie series to a grinding halt. And they already went back to the 22nd century for the series that is prequel to TOS and everything, and the ratings sunk lower and lower. Trek was done.

They had no where else to go, but back to the 23rd century. New, young actors to play the original classic characters, but this time with much better effects, no toupees, no girdles and no Shatner's aweful acting. I don't know if I'll like it. I may hate it. Or it may be the best Trek yet. It's wide open. Whatever happens, happens. I'm not going to pre-judge. I'm going to give it a chance. I'm not going to bash or praise a movie I haven't seen.

If it's good, then it's just squeezing a little more life out of a franchise that was already dead. But it probably won't last more than 3 movies anyway. Then it will go back to being dead. If it sucks, then it's still dead to you. No gain, no loss.

As a fan, you get to decide what is canon and what is not canon for you. Trek 1, 5 and 10 didn't happen in my Trek universe. So my Trek universe is a lot more enjoyable without them.

Even if the "commonly held" (but as yet unsubstantiated) fear that the movie will undue previous canon is true, it won't actually effect all of the Trek you already have that out came before it. Time travel into the past and changing things is not real, people! If you don't like what it changes, then you ignore it! It can't actually erase or change the content on your DVDs, people! You ignore it and your Trek collection remains unchanged. No harm done.

It really amazes me that some Trek fans actually believe that this movie could somehow take something away from them. These fans must not be too centered in reality. It doesn't work that way. If you watch the new movie and don't like it, that has not affected your personal Trek continuity. The only thing you lost is your ticket price and your two hours. Then Trek can go back to being dead in your mind, and you'll know not to waste your money or time on further sequels.

Trek is dead now. When you see this new movie, you get to decide if Trek is alive again for you, or still dead. If something doesn't come back to life for you, then you haven't lost something that you didn't already lose. But then again, we are talking about the fans of a franchise that mounted a massive letter campaign after Spock died, and it worked to bring him back to life.

I'm not gonna be a sheep and just follow the herd of haters that form a consensus of what is commonly held as true about a movie they haven't seen. I thought that Trek fans were intellgient on average, but I didn't know they actually posessed the ability to travel into the future and see the movie to know it will suck in advance. :cool:

I've seen every episode because my father was a tremendous Star Trek fan and I grew up watching TOS and TNG. I watched the various other series usually because there was nothing else better on.

I'm trying. I really am. I'm trying my hardest to HATE the coming Star Trek movie, but I'm failing miserably. Every trailer just makes me want to see it even more.

I'm such a failure.

Well from what I can see it's not really a reboot as much it really is just a prequel of the original Star Trek movie.

I, by the way hate reboots

Well from what I can see it's not really a reboot as much it really is just a prequel of the original Star Trek movie.

It's a prequel to the original Star Trek TV series. The movie series takes place after the original series, and this movie takes place before it.

I find myself hoping he succeeds.

But I also hope it won't deviate too far from what I personally understand to be Star Trek as Roddenberry envisioned it.

Too much of the later shows deviated from Roddenberry's vision and I think it is that which really hurt the franchise.

But I'm psyched to see it an am aiming for opening weekend, maybe

I, by the way hate reboots

The comic book lead-in to the new movie (issue #3 just came out) makes it pretty clear that this isn't a reboot in the commonly held sense of "starting over from scratch". Instead it's that hoary old Trek favorite, time travelers altering history to change their present.

The comic is set after the Next Generation era and up through #2 (I haven't picked up #3 yet) has had appearances by old Spock (as seen in TNG), Picard and Data (quickly glossing over the whole B-4 business from Nemesis). It's basically the backstory for Nero, the Romulan who's behind the events we'll see in the movie. Nero does something (I won't say what but it's pretty easy to find online) which changes Federation history and Kirk's history in particular, leading to many of the differences between the movie and the original series.

The comic book lead-in to the new movie (issue #3 just came out) makes it pretty clear that this isn't a reboot in the commonly held sense of "starting over from scratch". Instead it's that hoary old Trek favorite, time travelers altering history to change their present.

The comic is set after the Next Generation era and up through #2 (I haven't picked up #3 yet) has had appearances by old Spock (as seen in TNG), Picard and Data (quickly glossing over the whole B-4 business from Nemesis). It's basically the backstory for Nero, the Romulan who's behind the events we'll see in the movie. Nero does something (I won't say what but it's pretty easy to find online) which changes Federation history and Kirk's history in particular, leading to many of the differences between the movie and the original series.

Cool. I didn't know about the comic but just read up on it a bit. The 4-issue comic is said to be a prequel to the movie and not overlap with the movie. It's supposed to have little details about the set-up that aren't in the movie itself. #4 ends supposedly ends with a cliff-hanger and the movie's first minute is supposed to pick up seemlessly where the comic left off.

Hopefully, the glossing over of B-4 in the comic means that the specific events of Nemesis won't be refered to in the new movie. A human clone of Picard takes control of the Romulan Empire, and yet another android "brother" of Data appears. Absolutely rediculous and lame.

Anyway, thanks Jim.

Hopefully, the glossing over of B-4 in the comic means that the specific events of Nemesis won't be refered to in the new movie. A human clone of Picard takes control of the Romulan Empire, and yet another android "brother" of Data appears. Absolutely rediculous and lame.

I'm sure the new movie won't have any reason to mention it, I expect Nero and old Spock probably won't even make any references in the movie that could tie into the Next Gen era at all.

It may involve time travel, and some things may change (but they may not be anything major). Reboots don't have time travel - they just ignore previous continuity and start over. Batman Begins and James Bond don't have any time travel in them. Retcons are less poweful versions of reboots and also do not need time travel.

Reboots and retcons are changes made to fictional continuities by authors without the changes needing to be explained by the story (although retcons are often introduced through stories). A time travel story does not change continuity, because the story element of time travel changing something is a part of the story's continuity. The time travel itself is a part of the continuity.

The trade paperback compilation of the 4-issue mini-series has a release date of 4/29 but it looks like it is available now on Amazon. I am going to order it because I'd rather have the TPB instread of 4 seperate comic books. The artist is a name I remember from an old DC Star Trek comic I used to have in my childhood, and from what I remember he wasn't that bad.

Star Trek: Countdown

The trade paperback compilation of the 4-issue mini-series has a release date of 4/29 but it looks like it is available now on Amazon.

They lie, there's no way Amazon can have it in 7 to 13 days since the last issue probably won't be published for another 3-4 weeks. I'd say that the 4/29 date for the TPB is highly optimistic, though I'm sure they will be trying their hardest to get the TPB out before the movie hits theaters.

They lie, there's no way Amazon can have it in 7 to 13 days since the last issue probably won't be published for another 3-4 weeks. I'd say that the 4/29 date for the TPB is highly optimistic, though I'm sure they will be trying their hardest to get the TPB out before the movie hits theaters.

4/29 is not 7 to 13 days away. it is more like 31 days away.

4/29 is not 7 to 13 days away. it is more like 31 days away.

Cryonic, like always, you are correct. Jim, I agree there is a strong possiblity Amazon is wrong, but not necessarily for the first reason you stated.

The 4th issue of the comic is already completely written, penciled, inked and colored by now, even though the issue is not commerically available yet. These things are done far in advance of when copies are actually mass produced and made available for sale to the public. By that same logic, the components of the trade paperback are completed as well. Just because the 4th issue has not been released yet, that does not necessarily mean that it is absolutely impossible for the TPB to already have copies printed.

Now would the publisher intentionally intend for the TPB to be commerically available before the last issue of the comic that it's compiling? No, that wouldn't make any business sense, so I doubt it. Have I seen some things be commecially available before their intended release date? Yes, more than once, without the official release date being moved forward. Sometimes it is because of a mistake made by the retailer in not holding off on putting something up for sale when they have it before the release date. Other times the item is just available early, and the producer doesn't have a strict guideline for not releasing it early. Not everyone is like George Lucas and J.K. Rowling who impose severe financial penalties for retailers selling something early.

For mass production reasons, I agree that instead of it being avialable this far in advance, it is more likely that they will actually be struggling to have the item available by the intended release date.

While it is remotely possible it could be available early, I only order new items from Amazon in orders that total at least $25 to get the super saver free shipping, so I decided I'm not going to order this now because it may delay my other items. I'll probably make a trip to a comic shop and pick it up when it is available there. I hope I'll have it at least by the night before I see the movie, so I'll have time to get it and read it first.

Cryonic, like always, you are correct. Jim, I agree there is a strong possibility Amazon is wrong, but not necessarily for the first reason you stated.

Don't forget, Amazon doesn't set the release date. They get that information from the publishers that supply it to them.

The 4th issue of the comic is already completely written, penciled, inked and colored by now, even though the issue is not commercially available yet. These things are done far in advance of when copies are actually mass produced and made available for sale to the public. By that same logic, the components of the trade paperback are completed as well. Just because the 4th issue has not been released yet, that does not necessarily mean that it is absolutely impossible for the TPB to already have copies printed.

Now would the publisher intentionally intend for the TPB to be commerically available before the last issue of the comic that it's compiling? No, that wouldn't make any business sense, so I doubt it. Have I seen some things be commecially available before their intended release date? Yes, more than once, without the official release date being moved forward. Sometimes it is because of a mistake made by the retailer in not holding off on putting something up for sale when they have it before the release date. Other times the item is just available early, and the producer doesn't have a strict guideline for not releasing it early. Not everyone is like George Lucas and J.K. Rowling who impose severe financial penalties for retailers selling something early.

For mass production reasons, I agree that instead of it being avialable this far in advance, it is more likely that they will actually be struggling to have the item available by the intended release date.

While it is remotely possible it could be available early, I only order new items from Amazon in orders that total at least $25 to get the super saver free shipping, so I decided I'm not going to order this now because it may delay my other items. I'll probably make a trip to a comic shop and pick it up when it is available there. I hope I'll have it at least by the night before I see the movie, so I'll have time to get it and read it first.

Even if you have an item on preorder, they normally seem to send the other items anyways rather than wait for it (and don't charge you because they chose to split the order, not you).

I know Amazon doesn't set the release date. But they could decide to sell something before that date there were given, or they could also make a mistake and sell something before the date unintentionally.

Also, what you said about spiltting shipments is true for the "pre-order" stuff, but like you pointed out, this say 7-13 days, not pre-order. Even if it's a clitch in their system, I think there is a chance they might delay my other item that is available now because it is not offically listed a "pre-order".

The 4th issue of the comic is already completely written, penciled, inked and colored by now, even though the issue is not commerically available yet.

Actually, given the way the comic book industry operates these days there's no guarantee that's actually the case! IDW isn't as bad as some companies and for a tie-in like this I'm sure they're cracking the whips to make sure it's out on time, but I've seen way too many comic book publishers big and small that no longer understand the concept of a deadline. Titles shipping weeks late is almost the norm these days instead of the exception. :mad:

Diamond does not list it as shipping next week but their upcoming list is usually incomplete so there is a chance, though it seems awfully early with #3 having come out just last week.

IDW's website lists 4/8 as a release date for the TPB, they must be expecting #4 to be out before then. Unless it's a old and out of date graphic....