D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Catstacker

[Torg] Wanted: High Lords

I hope it was not my ranting about Dr. Mobius that made you leave. Btw I don't think this is going to be roleplay via PbP but more like a storytelling project combined with a strategic game like Diplomacy PbP. I think you would have lots of fun. When I first read the High Lords Guide I envisioned playing this kind of game but the internet was not evolved far enough at that time.

That was a pretty apt description of what I'm aiming at, Stormchild, although I hadn't heard of Diplomacy PbP before. Now that I've googled it, it looks like an interesting game, and if there was a Torg version of it I'd play it. But whenever I've tried to envision a Torg board game, the massive scope of the setting and the contrasting realities make it way to large to contain within a comprehensible set of rules. That's why I'm making this game expressed through narration, so that each High Lord can just say what he wants to do, and rules be damned. Core Earth will probably win anyway, so the players here better be ready to have fun for its' own sake.

(Cue the pipe organ music)

Enter: The Gaunt Man, High Lord of Orrorsh.

(Thunder)

Thanks for joining, Wak! I was starting to worry that this game would never fly, but now all we need is one more player and I'll lay out the map and we can pick invasion sites. At four players, it should be pretty hard to beat Earth, but the High Lords aren't likely to rub borders unless they're already spread across the continents. And with The Gaunt Man, damn! I'm scared already.

Orrorsh has the benefits that the sourcebook gave them, namely that it's stelae are harder to uproot than usual, but I also want to give them smaller gospog armies because that's in accordance with the ecology of fear. If that's okay with you, your gauntness.

Pshaw! What need has the Gaunt Man for armies when a single stalker can inflict true terror? Make enough of these humans believe in things that go bump in the night and they'll transform themselves!

Nah, that makes three since Game Guy bowed out. I thought this game would gather more interest, because the perennial "What would you do differently?" threads never lack for opinions, and I figured it would be fun to actually try some of these ideas.

If you're eager to get your Torg on, Slayer, join the play-by-chat game I'm running. It won't be so epic as this game and might be for only one evening, but sometimes one-offs are more fun because there's nothing to lose.

Are people still up for this? It sounds a great idea. I'd take Dr. Mobius - I'd be happy to kidnap the President's dog and replace it with a radio controlled robot replica, packed with listening devices and TNT.

Are people still up for this? It sounds a great idea. I'd take Dr. Mobius - I'd be happy to kidnap the President's dog and replace it with a radio controlled robot replica, packed with listening devices and TNT.

Ah, finally my old foe and former master has arrived. I should have known from the beginning that the other High Lord of the Nile Empire who presented himself here was but a decoy from Mobius. But I was not fooled. It will be a privilege to fight him.

The Plague

Nah, that makes three since Game Guy bowed out. I thought this game would gather more interest, because the perennial "What would you do differently?" threads never lack for opinions, and I figured it would be fun to actually try some of these ideas.

If you're eager to get your Torg on, Slayer, join the play-by-chat game I'm running. It won't be so epic as this game and might be for only one evening, but sometimes one-offs are more fun because there's nothing to lose.

How do you know that 3327 is not already here? In the proverbial shadows, listening, waiting for someone to show but a moments weakness.

How do you know that 3327 is not already here? In the proverbial shadows, listening, waiting for someone to show but a moments weakness.

I should have known 3327 was calculating his chances of success. So, with 3 others here, does this mean a letter of intent from Marketplace? We could be much more effective than the first coordinated invasion on what I would call Core Earth Prime was. With the Gaunt Man, 3327, The Faceless King and myself, the Plague this is going to be a more secret invasion than the first. This could even lead to some form of cooperation, I imagine.

I should have known 3327 was calculating his chances of success. So, with 3 others here, does this mean a letter of intent from Marketplace? We could be much more effective than the first coordinated invasion on what I would call Core Earth Prime was. With the Gaunt Man, 3327, The Faceless King and myself, the Plague this is going to be a more secret invasion than the first. This could even lead to some form of cooperation, I imagine.

Secret? Does that mean I'll have to paint the legions of death robots black?

Or make them invisible... INVISIBLE robots of death!!! WITH INVISIBLE LASER BEAMS! (perhaps microwaves? ::makes a note::)

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!1!

So that's who was keeping more than three players from entering the game. 3327 wants his potential competition to be destroyed by Earth's massive reality backlash, and will only invade if there are the right number of other invaders to guarantee a profit (selling arms to both sides, of course.)

I might be interested, but I'd like to know a bit more about how it will work. Are you going to give us challenges to deal with, or are we effectively writing both sides of the story? Will we be plotting against each other, or just NPC Stormers? Are you basing it off the original High Lord points system?

If I jump in and we are restricted to original realms, I'd go Cyberpap. If we can develop our own realms, I'll think about throwing together an 18th century naval realm--Patrick O'Brianish.

I'd thought to try restarting the original invasion with each player as a High Lord actually trying to win the war, instead of just setting up the metaplot they way that the designers envisioned. But then Slayer Dragonwing jumped in with the offer to take the Space Gods rebuilt from the center of the Star Sphere out, and I wanted players so I said okay.

The concept for this game was a battle of original ideas, played like an actual invasion instead of the plot for a penny-dreadful, where players would state how they wanted to devote their resources each week, all of it mapped out on Google maps for everyone's delight. Bonuses would be given out for creative description, logical strategy, and aggressive expansion. I would play both the nameless one, dealing out rewards for destroying Core Earth, as well as the scattered forces of Earth, who would get more organized, knowledgable, and dangerous as the game progressed.

I would expect if only four High Lords were playing, then they would have their hands full in their respective corners of the globe, but if there were more invaders, they would start to rub boundaries sooner. And no, I'm not using the High Lords' Guide points system beyond basic inspiration, because I doubt the usefulness of that book's information. Here's a quote, also relevant to another thread here:

Travel is a fact of life for most Storm Knight parties. Unfortunately, it is not so easy to get around as it was before the war...

...The trouble doesn't stop once they're aboard the plane/ship/train, however. For one thing, most commercial transportation companies frown on weapons being brought aboard. So that Storm Knight with a chain-gun might have to come up with an interesting story to tell airport security. The alternative is smuggling weapons on board.

This tells us that not only was WEG's editorial staff so permissive that they allowed useless log-winded advice to fill the pages, but that they also really hadn't considered the implications of a multiple-front invasion from other worlds. "An interesting story" wouldn't have gotten a chain-gun past airport security, even before 9/11. Not even in the movies.

I'd hoped this game could rewind, revise and retry the invasion, shown from multiple perspectives actually thinking about what their objectives were. So, Mobius wouldn't have to use his stelae to take a whole lot of desert, Malraux wouldn't flip to Tech 26 (unless he wanted to,) Baruk Kaah wouldn't be a flipping idiot, and the Gaunt Man wouldn't be lost in a maelstrom for two years, finally emerging to resurrect the beast that defies the ecology of fear, and to kidnap prospective girlfriends.

If I jump in and we are restricted to original realms, I'd go Cyberpap. If we can develop our own realms, I'll think about throwing together an 18th century naval realm--Patrick O'Brianish.

If you think that, as a High Lord devoted to draining p-energy from the native population, you could successfully invade the Earth with tall ships, I'd love to hear how. You could rule the seas, but how would you hold the cities and land-based stelae with only 18th century Tech?

I'd hoped this game could rewind, revise and retry the invasion, shown from multiple perspectives actually thinking about what their objectives were. So, Mobius wouldn't have to use his stelae to take a whole lot of desert, Malraux wouldn't flip to Tech 26 (unless he wanted to,) Baruk Kaah wouldn't be a flipping idiot, and the Gaunt Man wouldn't be lost in a maelstrom for two years, finally emerging to resurrect the beast that defies the ecology of fear, and to kidnap prospective girlfriends.

This is a brilliant concept and I'll be interested to see how it pans out. I'd expect the invasion to be more logical and organic, taking progression a week at a time rather than in great big chunks. As was mentioned, individual competitiveness could result in better tactics than the story-driven invasion, though doesn't necessarily have to be at its expense. Who knows, perhaps Baruk Kaah will end up looking like a genius compared to modern efforts.

Personally I prefer the familiar realms, to give a basic grounding before we put in original strategies and ideas. It doesn't have to be a one off (although I'm not trying to get you into anything, Catstacker :) ) and perhaps others could do more 'alternative' what-ifs.

"An interesting story" wouldn't have gotten a chain-gun past airport security, even before 9/11. Not even in the movies.

I'm hoping that was the writer's attempt at humorous understatement rather than a serious suggestion! :rolleyes:

Sounds like an interesting idea which I would be keen to have a go at taking part in. Seems like most of the highlords are accounted for, so I will volunteer to play the the role of Baruk Kaah.

So as far as I can see we know have Space Gods, Nile Empire, Orrorsh, Aysle, and the Living Land firmly represented with Cyberpapacy and Nippon Tech waiting in the wings as it were.

"The great Saar stood at the top of the hill surveying the tribe of Jakatts below him. The sound of joyful laughter, mournful wails, angry shouts and passionate lovemaking filled the air as the worshipers of the Optants 'led' the faithful of Keta Kalles in worship of Lanala. Baruk Kaah smiled as he felt the power of his darkness device growing soon the Maelstrom bridge to the rich world promised by the Gaunt man would be complete, soon would the invasion begin. With this great sacrifice to Lanala he would be rewarded with the love that he has craved for so long"

I'd thought this game was never going to get off the ground, but if we've got five players willing to play at this point, then I'm willing to set it up. As soon as this game gets a forum, I'll post threads here:

I'll need a little time to write everything out, so let's plan to start June 8 with the initial placement of realms, and deadlines for each week's invasion plans every Monday after that. Each player will start with seven stelae, one maelstrom bridge, two armies, and one lieutenant. The first week everyone will get the same amount of p-energy to make more of these, but every week after that, they'll get variable amounts of p-energy based on the size of their realm, the untransformed population inside, and bonuses for having the week's best description, and for finding eternity shards. Let the diabolical scheming begin!

And if anyone else is still thinking of playing, jump in!