D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Catstacker

[Torg] Wanted: High Lords

The Nameless One has discovered a fresh, innocent cosm rich in possibility energy, and is seeking High Lords capable of takeover and development of this precious natural resource. A minimum of four self-motivated, creative individuals are needed to post on a weekly basis their placement of stelae and troop positions. Bonuses will be paid for aggressive expansion, inventiveness and narrative illustration. A High Lord who collects enough possibility energy while creating maximum damage may be promoted to the position of Torg, physically joined to their Darkness Device and be an incarnation of the god of destruction.

Applicants unable to post on a weekly basis may find themselves wiped away by the reality backlash from this cosm, known as Earth. Be warned that its' natives are technologically advanced and organized, and have been known for their creative abilities, so High Lords may have to develop new strategies as the invasion progresses.

Applicants may choose from among the cosms published by West End Games on a first-post basis. Before the invasion begins, the High Lords will be able to bid on their choice of invasion location, and place stelae by recording it on a Google map. Each week, High Lords will be contacted individually to notify them how many stelae, maelstrom bridges, armies, and lieutenants they are allowed to add to the map. These will be granted based on the quality of the post the High Lord has added to the thread, explaining how their invasion is conducted within and beyond their realms. High Lords with minimal posts, such as merely giving the stelae placement coordinates, will get minimal rewards. Missing a week will gain no rewards, and that High Lord may even find their stelae being removed by upstart stormers.

The best post each week will gain secret bonuses to accelerate their invasions or to hinder another High Lord. These bonuses may also be saved to act as emergency defenses.

Yes, any cosm, although some have more background material than others, and so will give you more food for thought. If someone actually wanted to play Arachnidia, they could.

Cosms go to the first to call them, so if you want to play, don't hestitate to grab your favourite (I think I already know which it is.) You're playing a High Lord, but you only have to pick an official cosm, not necessarily the published High Lord.

Thanks! We can get started as soon as at least four players decide on what cosms they want to play. If only four play, they probably won't run into one another very soon unless they play very aggressively, and so the main threat would be Earth's stormers.

Other players can always join in after the game started, though they will be at some disadvantage because the best invasion locations would be already taken, and the first gospog fields planted. Still, surprise counts for a lot, and if the number of High Lords increases (to a maximum of 7,) the infighting should increase as the pressure from stormers decreases.

To potential players, an extensive knowledge of Torg lore isn't necessary, nor is any knowledge of the rules. This is narrative play and basic strategy, with the aim of re-imagining the classic reality invasion of Earth. I once read the metaplot of Torg described as "someone's homebrew campaign," and I've wanted to re-create that and see how the war turns out without the implausible deus ex machina. Past discussions have argued different invasion locations, styles of invasion, and personalities for the High Lords. This game is an attempt to put them to the test.

I would certainly be interested in joining this game. I'm not totally familiar with Torg but I understand the basic concepts.

I was thinking of playing the Space Gods, if they would playable. Would it be all right to make up my own backstory leading up to the invasion, explaining why the Space Gods now have a High Lord, or would you rather I stick to the published material?

If the Space Gods are not available to play I will play Tharkhold.

Thanks for joining up, Dragonwing, and thanks for pitching me a curve ball! I never expected anyone to want to take the Space Gods, and so I hadn't even considered them. At first, I was tempted to give the thumbs-down, but I did ask for creative thinkers for this game. By all means, write up a backstory that explains what kind of High Lord you think the Akashans (or is it another race?) should have and what kind of war machine they would use in an invasion. However, I've got to impose the follow conditions:

1) A Space Gods invasion has to use stelae like all the other High Lords, or else my attempt to simplify the invasion mechanics on one map is going to explode. Reality Trees don't drain p-energy, but I suppose you might use them like Mobius uses reality bombs.

2) Similarly, ingenious new Biotech devices that you might want to innovate will all be subject to limitations by me, since there has been no playtesting and so I can only guess how balanced they might be. I'm glad to let you invent to your heart's content, but I don't want the other, more canonical players to call foul if you think Biotech stelae should be able reproduce through budding, or fly away before stormers can uproot them. Since Space Gods is the "Science-Fiction Reality," please try to make that more hard Sci-Fi than soft.

3) I have no idea how space travel should work in this game, since I had hoped to be able to project it all on one map of the surface of the Earth. So, if you want to launch your invasion from a mothership in orbit, I'm going to have to impose a possibility penalty that must occur from the number of talismans that would have to exist to keep such a thing from disconnecting in Earthspace. You might want to think more Stargate than Star Trek.

Thanks for the friendly greetings all!

As for your concerns, I already have some ideas for a bio-technology using culture and I figured I would use a lot of material from that, as I think I can easily work it into the Space Gods backstory that already exists. As for Stelae and the like, I'm not exactly sure how they work anyway, so I would have had to rely on your input regardless.

I do tend to lean more towards hard sci-fi than soft and I was planning on a land base invasion as well, one that started from a central "spawning" or "budding" point that grew outwards, rather than a space based invasion that would require landing crafts and the like.

For more details of my invented backstory or the mechanical details should I PM you or just post it here for everyone to see?

I look forwards to this game and hope we can start soon!

By all means, post your ideas here. I hope that this game will be interesting to both players and to the folks here reading about our ideas.

Stelae are placed in the defending reality no more than 500 kilometers apart, and together form triangular zones that contain the invading reality, and keep the reality backlash from the defending reality out. The High Lords can drain possibility energy from the living beings inside the stelae zones, and the longer a native is inside a zone, the more likely he is to be transformed to the invading reality. If one of the stelae is destroyed, the defending reality can re-assert itself until a new stelae is planted.

The strategy of this game will be largely based on choosing stelae locations on a map of the world, and placing armies and lieutenants to defend them from Earth's stormers and competing High Lords' lieutenants. The stelae locations will be known to all the players, but the locations of the lieutenants will not. P-energy that can be used to create new stelae, maelstrom bridges, and armies will be awarded each week based on the native Earther population that is contained within your stelae network. However, older stelae zones will reap less P-energy as the native population becomes transformed, and larger zones with the stelae placed far apart will be harder to defend by your armies. So, aggressive expansion will be rewarded, but will be hard to maintain.

Alright, here goes the backstory, if you want anything changed just let me know:

The inhabitants of the Akashan Empire were troubled by the appearance of the Comaghaz Virus, a virus that created a sentient group-mind from those it infected. No one was quite sure where this virus came from or what exactly it was, but most considered it a natural phenomena. What few even suspected was that the virus was a way of infiltrating the Empire and crippling it from within as many of the highest ranking officials were infected. A group of creatures calling themselves the Faceless Court then appeared. These strange beings were also users of organic technology and they proclaimed their desire to rule the Akashan Empire, merging it with the empire they had already accumulated. The heads of state, many of whom had been infected with the virus and thus were under their control, welcomed them with open arms. Anyone who resisted the Court was subjected to brutal punishment as the new rulers did everything they could to consolidate their control. The merging of the Akashan technology with that of the invaders gave them unparalleled control of bio-tech and they began to create an even stronger and more massive army of engineered weapons and warbeasts.

When the ruler of the Court, the Faceless King, learned of the 'stargate' phenomena he sent scouts to investiage it immediately, as he was ever hungry for more power. What he learned astonished him, the Possibility Wars offered opportunities not only to conquer new worlds but the possibility of becoming a god! The Faceless Court moved immediately to plan an invasion of Earth and the plunder of this strange new 'Possibility' energy.

They are known as The Faceless Court because they are powerful shapeshifters, thus having no real face by being able to take on any one they want. The Faceless King is the most powerful of them all and is able to transform his body in many different ways. However, in most of his forms he retains a black reflective plate for a face, sometimes with a fang-filled mouth, another reason why he earned the title of 'Faceless'.

I have some pictures but I'm not sure if I can post them here, as, like I said, they are for a project several of my friends and I are working on and there has been some concern about posting artwork anywhere before copyrights and the like are finalized.

I have some pictures but I'm not sure if I can post them here, as, like I said, they are for a project several of my friends and I are working on and there has been some concern about posting artwork anywhere before copyrights and the like are finalized.

The works are automatically the copyright of the creator without the need to register. Registering the work just makes it easier to show that it really is yours.

The works are automatically the copyright of the creator without the need to register. Registering the work just makes it easier to show that it really is yours.

Of course you are correct Cryonic. But I think he is worried about someone stealing the artwork off the internet and claiming it to be their own, and not having proof of who it was created by and when.

Something an author told me that actually made a difference in court case is a very easy method of creating additional proof: simply print the item to be copyrighted and put it in an envelope with a stamp, seal it well, and put it in the mail to yourself. When you get it back, do not open it. That sealed mailing will have your artwork inside, and a postmark from the post office on the outside. The postmarks are created to not be easily forged so people don't steal postage, and can be authenticated. If you ever have to defend your copyright, you bring Exibit A and case closed.

Of course, you would wait until you got it back in the mail to post the artowork on the internet.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions to everyone, I will certainly look into doing that. However, since this is a group project I will have to confer with everyone else involved before posting anything.

I must say though, I am extremely pleased that all of you have such an interest in seeing what we're working on. Thanks for that as well.

Catstacker, how many players do you have? When do you think you will need a forum? When do you think the game will start?

I am still working on my character, I have just been a bit busy and I havent had a chance to finish it

So far only Slayer Dragonwing has said what cosm he wants to run, so we still need at least three more players willing to put on black hats and starting hatching plans to rule the world. I thought that someone would have grabbed the chance to play Dr. Mobius by now...

So far only Slayer Dragonwing has said what cosm he wants to run, so we still need at least three more players willing to put on black hats and starting hatching plans to rule the world. I thought that someone would have grabbed the chance to play Dr. Mobius by now...

I want to play a character in the Nile Empire. Oh, are you set on running this game via play by post or would you ever consider running a game in the chatroom?

Cool. So you're the High Lord of the Nile. Do you want to play Mobius or do you want to make up your own ArchOverlord Emperor of Evil? Or is it really Mobius just pretending to be someone different?;)

I don't think this game would work well by chat, since everyone would have to sit around waiting for the other guys to plant stelae, or while I try and estimate the remaining populations within each (and every) stelae zone, every round. Also, my schedule is variable, so play-by-post lets me catch up when I can, and if everyone only has to post once a week, that should be no problem. And if each week of play equals one month invasion time, the war should be over in less than a year.

My sinister plans are not fulfilled yet. As time seems to be critical right now, I will allow you some insight into my cunning mind via this weird magical portal you call the internet. I am sure you will realize that your invasion cannot work without my help.

My real name shall remain a secret but on Terra I was known as the masked vigilante called Plague. I am sure you have heard about my work, though my deeds were mostly misinterpreted by short-sighted, unimaginative and over-fearful news-scribes. Sure, some people had to die for the greater cause, but their sacrifice will be justified in the end. Though some people called me evil, I was never in league with the lunatic Dr. Mobius. Instead I observed and waited and used my extensive knowledge of biology and chemistry in order to gain access to the genetic code of many different species on this so-called Earth. This was as if a tiny piece of myself was put into each individual that became infected and, as long as I was close enough to that individual, I was able to place the rest of myself into that person or creature in order to gain control over body and mind.

As you might realize, the Nile Empire soon became too small a place for me. To make a long story short, I made my way to the invading realm of Aysle, where I came into contact with a very ambitious magician. His name does not matter as he is no more, but his deeds count. He used a very complicated sorcerous ritual to revitalize the dead body of the famous Paladin Tolwyn of Tancred. Of course, I tried to infiltrate her too but to no avail. The dead body somehow managed to keep me out of her living soul. She called herself the Warrior of the Dark and began a foolish crusade to win back Aysle. I believe you can imagine by what you now know about me, that this setback did not stop me for long.

In Asia, a place secretly invaded by a cosm called marketplace - as you surely know - I found the answer to this problem. The weird scientists there had managed the art of cloning, a knowledge I absorbed as easily as I did with the magical skills of Aysle. Combining the wisdom of both worlds with my own weird science, I created a replica of the Warrior of the Dark, a clone, you might say. I then realized when I can create one clone, I will be able to create as many as I like. And this time, I was able to infiltrate and control my creation. But why should I restrain myself to this troubled world with all these powers wrestling for control when I had access to a whole multiverse?

Of course, I had to gain access to a Darkness Device first. But this proved easier than I thought as Drakakanus found my Warrior all by itself. But before that happened I began wandering through the worlds that were conquered by Aysle and I learned that the former High Lord Uthorion in the disguise of Ardinay was a moron. He had conquered too fast and I was grateful to see that he had left a pletora of resources and creatures untouched. Obviously he was only in it for the quick grab just like a petty bank robber who takes the cash and leaves the deposit boxes untouched. When I finally gained control over Drakakanus, I had a formidable army at my disposal no one on earth was aware of.

I left clones of my Warrior in different worlds and used Drakakanus for some minor inroads into different fresh worlds. As the war on earth more and more looks like a waste of resources, I withdrew a lot of my troops from Aysle cosm and world to form three great armies. Now I am ready for my first real grab of a fresh world. Of course, I did not make the mistake of Uthorion to form armies of light and dark creatures. By now I have an army of the Dark led by a clone of the Warrior of the Dark, an army of the Light led by a Warrior posing as Tolwyn and an army of Giants and magical creatures led by a dragon under my control. But I will put aside my plans for a while in order to participate in your plans as this is a chance only an idiot as Dr. Mobius would miss.

Greetings from The Plague