D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
imported_Magman

Battlestar Galactica

Never saw a single episode.

Ditto. When I was a little kid, I liked the original. Did they find Earth in this one too?

Without having seen a single one, I made a prejudicial assumption that this show was basically a stupid generic sci-fi show that was using the Battlestar Galactica name as some cheap marketing ploy and they would/did end up changing much of what the original show and movies were actually about.

I could be wrong, but I'll probably never know.

My long-time friend (since our childhood in 1982) has nearly identical interests in TV and movies as me, and he told me he's going through the series on DVD now. He said there's a lot of dialogue. He actually told me it was a "soap opera for men", and despite that unflattering description, he has been "sucked into the story."

Based on what I've heard from him, I still have no interest in watching this series (or any desire to even watch the original for nastalgia's sake).

But hey, I'm not bashing something I haven't seen. If you like the show, please post in this thread and tell us about it.

No, you're pretty much about right, hellsreach. I watched a total of about 6 episodes and disliked every single one I saw. I didn't like a single character, I felt the show was too dark, too twisted and convoluted and to angst-ridden. So they essentially took the Battlestar Galactica name, called the ship that, took some of the same names used in the original, made them "call signs", and then tweaked everything to make it "gritty" and "realistic" *rolls eyes*.

I disliked the new BSG immensely and am glad it's finally over. Now I don't have to listen to a couple of people talk about the weird, twisted stories that are basically bordering on ridiculous. It all repeats itself? Gimme a break.

I had some problems with the series early on, but I thought the finale wrapped up everything very well, and was brilliantly executed. There's a handful of sci-fi genre things that can give me chills - the finale of Babylon 5, some moments in Firefly, and so on. Happened a few times in the BSG finale.

I don't want to post any spoilers, but Whill, based on some e-mails we exchanged a while back, I think you'd really have liked the finale, even if you weren't overly familiar with the new series up to that point. The answer to your question is yes - but not in 1980 like the original series spin-off would have us believe.

They find Earth a little bit earlier than 1980... ;)