D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
The Game Guy

Who Watches Who Walks Out of "Watchmen"?

...I found most of the major characters in it utterly loathsome. Even an emotionless blue naked guy was more likeable to me than most of the Watchmen. :confused:

I think that is part of the point.

There is a juxtaposition made where a superhuman (Dr. Manhattan) is compared to the rest of the Watchmen and it is unclear which side is more disconnected from humanity. There is also a running theme regarding "absolute power corrupts, absolutely" and I think part of the message is that no, absolute power does NOT absolutely corrupt. Instead, humans corrupt, absolutely.

As a note, I had never read the graphic novels, my entire knowledge of the Watchmen prior to seeing the movie was 'its about superheroes at least one of which is named Rorshach'

See, I have never read the graphic novels and I am not sure if that is going to hurt or help me when I finally see the movie.

Matter of fact, until I heard about the movie coming out I had no idea that Watchmen existed.

One of my local FLGS's was selling the graphic novels but I never bothered to take a look at it.

See, I have never read the graphic novels and I am not sure if that is going to hurt or help me when I finally see the movie.

Matter of fact, until I heard about the movie coming out I had no idea that Watchmen existed.

One of my local FLGS's was selling the graphic novels but I never bothered to take a look at it.

I've never read them either. I don't think the lack of having read the novels will hurt your understanding of the movie when you go see it. Just one thing, only one person in the movie actually has superpowers. The rest aren't even up to Batman's level of power, heheh.

Again, this is not REALLY a superhero story. You are not really supposed to "like" any of them. You are, at best, supposed to accept that they are somewhat necessary and that some make decisions, in the execution of their "noble" duties, that are in fact rotten. There are no "heroes" and "villains" in the Watchmen. It's all a huge mass of gray area that makes it almost an anti-superhero story.

There are no "heroes" and "villains" in the Watchmen. It's all a huge mass of gray area that makes it almost an anti-superhero story.

I think that sums it up very well.