D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
harmyn

What TV Shows do you enjoy?

This sort of popped into my head based on the conversation over in the Dollhouse thread. TV watching varies wildly from person to person, I am just curious what shows other folks enjoy.

For my part, I used to not watch much TV, but with the advent of DVR technology I have begun to watch entirely too many shows. On the upside I can watch them on my schedule. Two shows my brother and I both enjoy are watched between work and school each week. Other shows are for Saturday or Sunday morning pleasure (since cartoons I like are long since gone), something else fills the void at the end of a long day as I unwind. So it works out better. Also, with the cable shows not being long runs, it helps cut down on overlap and gives me more time for other things.

Let's see, for my part my "Network" viewing consists of the following =

CSI

Criminal Minds

Lost

Heroes

Supernatural (CW is technically considered Network Television)

Family Guy

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (though I am about to give up on this)

Law and Order: SVU

Cable Television Includes the Following =

Burn Notice

Psych

Saving Grace

The Closer

Trust Me

Leverage

Battlestar Galactica

Law and Order: Criminal Intent

Luckily the Cable shows all have short seasons, typically airing only 6 episodes, then going on haiatus for 6 months before airing the other 6 of a season.

I tried to watch Life on Mars but memories of the British version kept bumping up against the quality of the American version and that ruined it for me.

So now, I have laid open the innermost secrets of my DVR. What about you? What shows do you enjoy?

I try not to watch much TV, but a few months ago I just upgraded from basic cable (28 channels) to standard cable (70-some channels), mostly for my wife who watches more TV. My TV also picks up several digital broadcast channels, not sure how many.

Historically, my favorite shows are The Simpsons of the 90's and That 70's Show seasons 1-5. I have those on DVD.

There have been three seasons of a documentary show on the History Channel called The Universe that the astonomy nerd in me loves. It is currently in between seasons. I watch occasional various programs on History but they are usually one-shots and not series.

My favorite current shows is The Big Bang Theory, a half-hour sitcom on CBS, primetime on Monday nights. It is a very intelligent show with a lot of jokes about science and nerd culture - right up my alley. Instead of the old "Steve Urkle" formula of the one stereotypical uber-nerd next door, all 4 main guy characters are 4 very different types of nerds. All 4 guys are physicists in their 20's with multiple graduate degrees, working at CalTech. The 5th main character is the hot chick that lives in the same apartment building as 2 of the nerds. And except for one episode where she became addicted to an online RPG, she is just the opposite of the nerds, with a lot of common sense and social skills but not all the books smarts. But because she lives next door she has become friends with the nerds.

I highly recommend Big Bang Theory to all of you. It's very funny.

My current watches are: Battlestar Galactica, Lost, Leverage, Smallville, Supernatural, Fringe, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Batman: The Brave and the Bold. That is, I actively try to sit down and watch these.

.....I highly recommend Big Bang Theory to all of you. It's very funny.

I recorded and watched this for the first time this past Monday night. The Summer Glau as a guest star hooked me (as was the goal most likely). It was a funny show. I am going to have to watch it again.

My current watches are: Battlestar Galactica, Lost, Leverage, Smallville, Supernatural, Fringe, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Batman: The Brave and the Bold. That is, I actively try to sit down and watch these.

Hisham, how does Batman: The Brave and the Bold stack up against the the older Batman, the Animated Series from back in the 90's?

My list is small.

I just have grown away from TV and now can't be bothered to get back into it.

The DVR at my folks has rather saved me, as I likely would have not bothered as much otherwise.

Eureka (Sci-Fi Channel)

Sci-Fi struck paydirt on this.

FBI agent becomes sheriff of the world's most brilliant town.

Every week it seems the geniuses come close to blowing up the planet or otherwise causing mayhem with their mad science.

Doctor Who (Sci-Fi Channel, import)

The Doctor wanders through time and space in a London "Police Public Call Box" which is actually a "TARDIS".

Great Britain's longest running Sci-Fi show and quite likely the longest running Sci-Fi show in the world.

What can be said about a 26 year (1963 to 1989) uninterrupted run on TV for a drama?

How about such a run for Sc-Fi?

This show recently returned in 2003 and has put out 4 all new seasons in an incarnation of the show that builds off of that 26 year history.

Fringe (Fox TV) I'm surprised at little FOX seems to be jostling the hands of the show's producer/writers. the fact that the extent of the commercial interruption seems to be about 5 minutes rather than the 22 minutes everywhere else is what drew me in and the quirky variant X-Files feel doesn't slyly nudge you and joke at how the FBI doesn't take weird phenomenon seriously except for this one guy.

Instead it is an entire government branch who takes it all very seriously as strange Fringe Science theories are weaponized by a secret terrorist organization began (and run?) by scientists.

Numb3rs (CBS TV) Charlie Epps uses math to solve crimes alongside his FBI brother.

I do like CSI and CSI: Miami but not enough to go out of my way to watch.

I also enjoy Law and Order: Criminal Intent but not enough to justify setting the DVR to record personally.

I dont watch TV, I like DVDs

Ive watched Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Andromeda, Charmed, Veronica Mars, and Cleopatra 2525

Shows Ive watched parts of on DVD

Kung Fu, Xena, Hercules, Dark Angel, Forever Night

Shows I remember liking when I watched TV

Star Trek TOS, TNG, The Three Stooges, Earth 2, Lost in Space, Seaquest, Bonkers, Darkwing Duck, Kung Fu the Legend Continues, Knight Rider, Hogan's Heroes, Walker Texas Ranger

My favorite current shows is The Big Bang Theory, a half-hour sitcom on CBS, primetime on Monday nights. It is a very intelligent show with a lot of jokes about science and nerd culture - right up my alley. Instead of the old "Steve Urkle" formula of the one stereotypical uber-nerd next door, all 4 main guy characters are 4 very different types of nerds. All 4 guys are physicists in their 20's with multiple graduate degrees, working at CalTech. The 5th main character is the hot chick that lives in the same apartment building as 2 of the nerds. And except for one episode where she became addicted to an online RPG, she is just the opposite of the nerds, with a lot of common sense and social skills but not all the books smarts. But because she lives next door she has become friends with the nerds.

Small correction. Two are physicists (Leonard and his roommate Sheldon). The other two are a PhD in Astronomy (Raj) and a Masters in Mechanical Engineering (Howard).

Eureka (Sci-Fi Channel)

Sci-Fi struck paydirt on this.

FBI agent becomes sheriff of the world's most brilliant town.

Every week it seems the geniuses come close to blowing up the planet or otherwise causing mayhem with their mad science.

US Marshall, not FBI.

I recorded and watched this for the first time this past Monday night. The Summer Glau as a guest star hooked me (as was the goal most likely). It was a funny show. I am going to have to watch it again.

Excellent.

Small correction. Two are physicists (Leonard and his roommate Sheldon). The other two are a PhD in Astronomy (Raj) and a Masters in Mechanical Engineering (Howard).

Thanks, Cryonic. I was attempting to not be too wordy, but in doing that that I was inaccurate. You are correct, sir.

And I forgot to mention that I am currently watching Star Trek Enterprise on DVD through Blockbuster Online. I'm near the beginning of Season 4. My hypothesis going into it was that it had to be better than DS9 and Voyager. So for, it is.

And I forgot to mention that I am currently watching Star Trek Enterprise on DVD through Blockbuster Online. I'm near the beginning of Season 4. My hypothesis going into it was that it had to be better than DS9 and Voyager. So for, it is.

Enterprise was an abomination as far as I'm concerned. Not sure which one was on top (of the bottom), Voyager or Enterprise, but I did make it through all the Voyager seasons and couldn't get through all of Enterprise.

I'm fairly limited on the television that I watch. Currently the shows that I like and watch moderately often are: NCIS, The Mentalist, and I caught the premier (and liked) "Castle". It stars Nathan Fillion from Firefly as a somewhat eccentric author. Kinda funny, but it does come on late.

I used to watch, but got tired with: Lost and Criminal Minds.

I also somewhat watch a couple other shows my wife watches, just not as much as she watches them. Those are the CSI shows...though she's stopped watching CSI: Miami.

Hisham, how does Batman: The Brave and the Bold stack up against the the older Batman, the Animated Series from back in the 90's?

It's a totally different ball game. It's the Dick Sprang version of Batman with a sprinkle of Adam West sensibilities without going overboard on the kookiness, almost like a Golden Age Batman, going on Silver Age. In fact the original Bob Kane costume appears in one episode. We don't see Bruce Wayne at all. I love it.

Each episode (except for two) has a teaser which isn't related to the main story and he's paired up with different hero. Heroes that popped up in this series and hasn't before in B:TAS / JLU so far has been Plastic Man, Bronze Tiger, Blue Beetle (all three!), the Ryan Choi Atom, Kamandi the Last Boy, Guy Gardner, Gnort, Mogo, and seems like we have Adam Strange this week.

How can I not love a series that has Mogo in it. :D

Heroes, Lost, Scrubs, various sciency stuff of the Science Channel and pretty much every poker show on television.

I enjoy the World Series of Poker myself and have the World Poker Tour on in the background when on the computer. Of course I like playing poker so that probably has something to do with my enjoyment of the shows. Like some of the others too, just hard to catch them.

It's a totally different ball game. It's the Dick Sprang version of Batman with a sprinkle of Adam West sensibilities without going overboard on the kookiness, almost like a Golden Age Batman, going on Silver Age. In fact the original Bob Kane costume appears in one episode. We don't see Bruce Wayne at all. I love it.

Each episode (except for two) has a teaser which isn't related to the main story and he's paired up with different hero. Heroes that popped up in this series and hasn't before in B:TAS / JLU so far has been Plastic Man, Bronze Tiger, Blue Beetle (all three!), the Ryan Choi Atom, Kamandi the Last Boy, Guy Gardner, Gnort, Mogo, and seems like we have Adam Strange this week.

How can I not love a series that has Mogo in it. :D

Wow, that does sound different. Reminds me more of the Batman and Robin cartoons from when I was a kid way back in the day.

I enjoy the World Series of Poker myself and have the World Poker Tour on in the background when on the computer. Of course I like playing poker so that probably has something to do with my enjoyment of the shows. Like some of the others too, just hard to catch them.

I just set up my DVR to catch the keyword "poker" and let it do its thing. Of course, I occasionally have to delete the random "Family Matters episode where Erkle play poker with Carls cop friends" and similar.

I think I'm the only human on this planet who watch The Unit and Chuck.

I watched Chuck last season. Just didn't pick back up on it this season. Has it been any good?

I watched Chuck last season. Just didn't pick back up on it this season. Has it been any good?

Oh yes ! Without giving you any spoilers, let's just say that the (very beautiful and sexy) Sarah and Chuck are still ... unsure about their mutual feelings toward each other.

And when you think he or she is going to make the final move, something happens. Like the last two weeks, with this british secret agent ... I won't say more !

Oh yes ! Without giving you any spoilers, let's just say that the (very beautiful and sexy) Sarah and Chuck are still ... unsure about their mutual feelings toward each other.

And when you think he or she is going to make the final move, something happens. Like the last two weeks, with this british secret agent ... I won't say more !

If its on Hulu I may have to try and catch some of this season then when time opens up a bit. I do admit, Sarah is not altogether hard on the eyes. ;)

Only in Hollywood does the "geek" get the "hot chick".

Right, it's called fantasy wish fulfillment. And it sells.

Right, it's called fantasy wish fulfillment. And it sells.

Sorry. My point was that the actor playing chuck is anything but a geek in real life (hence the quotes around geek). Sort of like the actor who plays Leonard on Big Bang Theory... They are made "Hollywood ugly" (e.g. America Ferrara on Ugly Betty, or Anne Hathaway in Princess Diaries).