The Confessor

D6 Pulp Heroes?

100 posts in this topic

Been on a tangent about pulp era psychic powers. Medium or spiritualist level. Mooched some gaming books, AD&D and Gurps, as usual they are over thinking the process. I'm trying to remember what I did with D6 Adventure, although those books have provided scant help in the past.

I stand corrected.

Chapter 13 of D6 Adventure is roughly what I had in mind. Maybe powered down a touch.

Astral Projection

Empathy

far Seeing

Healing

Medium

Protection

Psychometry

Strike

Telekinesis

Telepathy

The modifier rules seem reasonable.

Just skimmed through GURPS Psionics. A bit much. Useful bits and bobs.

All the D&D stuff is way over thought.

The last two 'pulp' games I was in were re-skins of D&D. In the first gadgeteers were direct replacements for mages. In the last, psionists with slightly modified spell lists were the direct replacement for mages. I know what I don't want in a pulp game.

Browsed through a friend’s dust covered RPG library the other night during a watch party.

GURPS – Places of Mystery is well worth a look. An excellent primer on ancient places. As always I advise mooch first, or pick it up cheap.

I like IJatKotCS. It's a good action-adventure vehicle. Is it one of my all-time favorite movies like the first three Indy films? Certainly not. I can't put it up there with the classics. But some of the criticisms are ridiculous coming from fans who liked the first three films. All Indy films are extremely unrealistic. They all require extreme suspension of disbelief to enjoy.

I've been slacking on my research.

Honest Trailer –

More inspirational viewing.

Safari – Victor Mature leads a hunting party that goes wrong – in Africa. Bonus, Terrence Young directed.

Shalako – An OK horse opera. Sean Connery comes to the aid of a British hunting party gone wrong in the wild and wooly West.

The planned sexual chemistry between Connery and Brigit Bardot did not ignite. Honor Blackman has a minor role.

I may have to create a set of psychic rules from scratch – and that has always worked out so well. See the mysticism rules for Two Fisted Risus. Basing a system on historical or literary sources is a non-starter.

Start simply. A friend, who is a gourmand, always tells me ‘it easier to add a flavor to a sauce than take away a flavor from a sauce’.

Trimming back AD&D Psionics rules is less appealing, I have a copy of a BRP conversion of those rules and have been looking them over hoping another system will help.

I have a few more PDFs to go through, however, they too are from fantasy, so I have the feeling they are just reworkings of D&D.

D&D is king for a reason.

I still haven't decided what metric to use to measure the level of ambient supernatural.

What do you mean by "measure the level of ambient supernatural"? You're talking about beyond a simple dice level? That is, what it's measured by IN the setting?

I’m going to table the nature of psychic powers for now, defaulting to Chapter 13 in D6 Adventure. What I have gleaned from the articles at the BRP forums has been interesting; however, not of use in this instance.

Perhaps a more useful metric would be the nature and number of beasties, which go bump in the night, Indy goes toe to toe with.

I’m lifting from the amazing Legendary Quest stuff.

Gargoyles – maybe

Vamps – no, no, hell no! Vamps maybe canon, but logic and reason have never slowed me before. Why start now?

Zombies – as the traditional minions of voodoo priests or priestesses.

Were-beasts – most cultures have a variation of were-something. I tried to run a game based on the movie Brotherhood of the Wolf.

I like IJatKotCS. It's a good action-adventure vehicle. Is it one of my all-time favorite movies like the first three Indy films? Certainly not. I can't put it up there with the classics. But some of the criticisms are ridiculous coming from fans who liked the first three films. All Indy films are extremely unrealistic. They all require extreme suspension of disbelief to enjoy.

Raiders requires less suspension of disbelief because the narrative tension is far more taut. Spielberg had 73 days to shoot, that is why second unit directors covered most of the action sequences, and SS had less chance to work the Spielberg "magic". No musical numbers, no vanity shots of special effects, no extended flashbacks (I hate flashbacks and I hate origin stories more).

A friend and I did a scene map of the trilogy for a campaign; the lesser movies have SS's 'look at me' hand prints all over the narrative.

On a strange note: I tried to record Indy 4 the other day with the hopes of making a fan edit. The electricity hiccuped long enough to stop the recording. Sign from God?

Bear in mind that Hook was his dream project and A.I was his effort to prove himself the equal of Kubrick.

A third metric could be scope of magic use. I would use the first five seasons of Supernatural as a template.

Again, players in this neck of the woods have been recalcitrant to low power magic in any game.

Some food for though from Swords and Dorkery. Yes it is written for GURPS, the conversion is mostly painless to Mini Six. I did some ritual magic in Risus of Arabia, and I'd like to take a run at it again.

Ok. Psychic powers only. And for the most part taken from chapter 13 of D6 Adventure. Maybe ritual magic. I will use the abridged Fatigue rules to power the psychic abilities.

Psychic Skills (taken from chapter 13 of D6 Adventure)

Astral Projection

Empathy

Telepathy

Far Sensing

Medium

Healing

Protection

Strike

Telekinesis

Psychometry

If you're looking for more psychic powers you can check out my d6 game "Horrors in the Night" and an adventure called "Fungi Mine" for the aforementioned game. There's quite the lists for both in both books combined.

Both are avaialbe on DTRPG from Solace Games.

Either I restrict characters to one skill or divide the skills into groups and allow one group per character or restrict the usefulness of the groups.

I'm giving Telepathy and Telekinesis a pass for now.

Spiritual Group: Astral Projection and Medium.

Mental Group: Empathy, Far Sensing, and Psychometry.

Physical Group: Healing, Protection, and Strike.

The primary groups skills are at attribute level, the secondary at -1D, the tertiary at -2D.

That seems steep, better than not having them at all.

If you're looking for more psychic powers you can check out my d6 game "Horrors in the Night" and an adventure called "Fungi Mine" for the aforementioned game. There's quite the lists for both in both books combined.

Both are avaialbe on DTRPG from Solace Games.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Reading through the material, psychic abilities are based on Willpower/Resolve, i. e. Charisma, rather than Wit. Which should make the Attribute dice harder to divvy up.

I think Mesmerism is a separate skill. Or an aspect of Empathy.

Summoning, binding, warding, banishing, or invoking spirits is part of Medium.

Summoning, binding, warding, banishing, or invoking demons is part of the Arcane Knowledge perk.

Charms work: Amulets are 'always on', Talismans are use specific.

Using Fatigue to power psychic abilities.

As an alternative to draining Might, psychic fatigue can reduce Charisma, at the same 3 to 1 ratio.

Or if the game uses Body Points, use those.

Or take it as a damage roll penalty.

I'll have to crunch the numbers on these.