The Confessor

D6 Pulp Heroes?

100 posts in this topic

So, out of curiousity, has anyone used D6 Adventure to run a 30s Era Pulp game with PCs similar to The Shadow, The Phantom or The Rocketeer? If so, did you find things worked or didn't work? What did you have to add, change, or manipulate in the system to get things to go the way you wanted them to work.

Sadly not yet, but lord knows I have a deep desire to. And you named off the movies that would serve as my insperation for it too. I am betting that it would run a game like that basically out of the box as it were.

I tried, but my friends convinced me to use the TORG mechanics instead. The setting was heavily Nile Empire inspired, but centered around Gadgets ala Rocketeer.

Havard

So, out of curiousity, has anyone used D6 Adventure to run a 30s Era Pulp game with PCs similar to The Shadow, The Phantom or The Rocketeer? If so, did you find things worked or didn't work? What did you have to add, change, or manipulate in the system to get things to go the way you wanted them to work.

No.

Sadly not yet, but lord knows I have a deep desire to. And you named off the movies that would serve as my insperation for it too.

I wish WEG had come up with a complementary generic pulp line which could have expanded the setting to include Nile Empire style elements as well, but I guess that is fairly easy to do on your own should you wish to.

After getting some WEG Indiana Jones stuff, I'm inspired to make my own generic D6 Pulp Adventure game. Instead of it just using D6 Adventure as is and being a supplement or worldbook for that, I'd like the Pulp game to be it's own self-inclusive D6 game like Godsend Agenda (and Septimus).

So it takes place in the 1930's. I envision it to be translatable to the world of the Indiana Jones movies, but also allow for a larger view of pulp adventure to include the inspirations of the Rocketeer and the other pulp heroes. The adventurers can be mercenaries, pilots, smugglers, explorers, treasure hunters, archeologists, occult investigators, PIs, police detectives, secret agents, gadgeteers, masked vigilantes ("mystery men"), whatever the GM and players want to play in this setting.

I also would like to include a little bit of a Chuthlu influence as well, but not horror. When I tried to run Chuthlu myself, I failed at capturing the intended mood but defaulted to a pulp adventure mood, chock full of fist fights with evil cult members on top of moving trucks. So I think this game should also have a little bit of a pulp Chuthlu thing going on as well. So antagonists could also be evil cults and creatures of the night as well as nazis, competitors, crimimals, villains, etc.

The standard attributes should be Dexterity, Knowledge, Mechanical, Perception, Presence and Strength. I think it should have two extranormal attributes, the first being Psionics. The magical or supernatural elements of the Indiana Jones movies all involve spiritual powers (miracles), and there really isn't arcane magic per se. But there probably should be magic in an all encompasing pulp game as well. In the Indiana Jones Artifacts book, there is a stat for each entry as Mystical (yes or no). So I think the 2nd extranormal attribute should decribe a broader realm of magic, so let's call it Mysticism.

So, what do you guys think?

Actually sounds really neat, Whill. Run with it!

Psionics and Mysticism are two good names for the extranormal things, and both keep the feel of pulp action. You've got me looking forward to seeing what YOU come up with. ;)

I'm with Grimace, sounds good to me. I also like your attribute choices. Please give it a shot. I love the genre and think it deserves some attention.

Looks good to me, Whill.

As for the originel question:

When I got the Indiana Jones adventures (the one with the D6 conversion) I improvised with Star Wars rules (and a couple Masterbook ones).

Did some pulp era games, but the supernatural was centered on NPCs (a medium once, and a shaman), so i did not need rules for that :D

I wanted to try some Crimson Skies style game, but did not even begin stating the planes.

Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread! A few years ago, after King Kong was in theaters and Hollow Earth Expedition was just released, I ran a campaign which began with the discovery from a Skull Island artifact recovered by one of the crewmen of the Venture that Skull Island was the last remnant above the ocean of the legendary Kumari Kandam, known to mystics since the turn of the century as Lemuria. The Third Reich launched an expedition to explore the island, and the PCs are contacted by the United States government to accompany a U.S. Navy dirigible, the U.S.S. Sperry (a larger cousin to the Macon and the Akron) on a mission to either beat the Nazis to Skull Island, or if they didn't get there first to make sure that the Nazis didn't walk away with anything dangerous, based on theories about an advanced civilization in the area from various myth cycles (India's Empire of Rama and the Tamil Kumari Kandam, especially the Ramayana tales of Vimanas, flying machines of unspeakable power, i.e. nukes).

USSSperry2.jpg

USS Shenandoah, USS Akron, and USS Sperry

Vickers3.jpg

Dorsal plan of the Vickers Transoceanic Airship, replicated for USS Sperry

It was the first time my wife had ever tried role-playing, and she created Francesca "Frankie" Dare, a British daredevil aviatrix. Other friends played a two man team (one French, one American) of archeologists and a Tibetan Monk (secretly from Shambhala and sent to thwart either side from learning too much about Skull Island, Shambhala or the hidden kingdom of Agarthi, where the Rama survivors fled). On Skull Island, the PCs encountered smaller albino versions of Kong, the surviving great White Temple Apes (stunted at a mere 15 feet high), and discovered some hints of the technological advancements made by the Rama before the destruction of their civilization.

Along the way, they made an enemy of a (extremely territorial) bull V-Rex that they nicknamed "Big Red" due to the muddy reddish hue of his hide, and discovered that the large volcano on the north side of the island was active, nearing eruption and so Skull Island was slowly vanishing into the sea (borrowing an idea from the original "Son of Kong" and the Skull Island book released along with the 2005 film). There was a cameo from the Phantom once I decided that the "lost world" island near Bengalla that the Phantom was also the protector of and Skull Island were one and the same, but all ended up working together to survive the eruption and escape back to the Sperry, dodging German troops and dinosaurs the whole way. It was quite a lot of fun, and all run with D6 Adventure, plus a few tweaks of my own devising (specifically pulling the D6 Classic task resolution and subbing the D6 Legend rules as Mike Lynes developed them for "Appleseed" and "The Matrix." This campaign was really the birth of my hybridized system that I've been using ever since. I refer any interested parties to the D6 Legend threads or the Resources page for more info.)

To the OPs question, while the campaign was ongoing, I was developing a larger campaign with more action set in the "civilized world." I was preparing for, upon the PC's return from Skull Island, for them to be made popular enough in the media that they would be approached by Dr. Clark Savage, Jr. and his team for membership in an exclusive society, an organization like the Cobalt Club where heroic individuals gathered to network and share information. Cliff Secord was to become a member later (the initial campaign was set in 1933, so his fame was five years away), as was Lamont Cranston, and a who's who of Pulp Heroes like The Spider and The Phantom.

Got a lot of the characters pre-created from a website, but I just tried to Google it and it appears to have vanished.

Im going to run a pulp game at some point. Always one of my favorite styles/settings.

So it takes place in the 1930's. I envision it to be translatable to the world of the Indiana Jones movies, but also allow for a larger view of pulp adventure to include the inspirations of the Rocketeer and the other pulp heroes.

Raider-verse Diesel Punk? The twist is that Abner figures out how to make that 'old junk' work. He becomes a one man crusade to keep the more dangerous toys out of the hands of people who do not play well with others. Great sidekick game setting.

I also would like to include a little bit of a Chuthlu influence as well, but not horror.
Diesel Punk Gothic.

When I tried to run Chuthlu myself, I failed at capturing the intended mood
CoC is a talk fest.

but defaulted to a pulp adventure mood, chock full of fist fights with evil cult members on top of moving trucks. So I think this game should also have a little bit of a pulp Chuthlu thing going on as well. So antagonists could also be evil cults and creatures of the night as well as nazis, competitors, crimimals, villains, etc.
Cultists make great mooks

The standard attributes should be Dexterity, Knowledge, Mechanical, Perception, Presence and Strength. I think it should have two extranormal attributes, the first being Psionics. The magical or supernatural elements of the Indiana Jones movies all involve spiritual powers (miracles), and there really isn't arcane magic per se. But there probably should be magic in an all encompassing pulp game as well. In the Indiana Jones Artifacts book, there is a stat for each entry as Mystical (yes or no). So I think the 2nd extra-normal attribute should describe a broader realm of magic, so let's call it Mysticism.
K.I.S.S. Make Psionics a Perk. Forgo Mysticism, it will tempt a player to devise a spell-flinger list. Rather make the perk Arcane Knowledge or Arcane Lore and tie the miracles/magic to a device, totem, charm, relic, etc... And no specifically offensive spells. However spells can be used offensively.

I use Mini Six. adjust accordingly.

So, what do you guys think?
I think very little if I can help it.

So, out of curiosity, has anyone used D6 Adventure to run a 30s Era Pulp game with PCs similar to The Shadow, The Phantom or The Rocketeer? If so, did you find things worked or didn't work? What did you have to add, change, or manipulate in the system to get things to go the way you wanted them to work.

My Unnamed friend and I switched a GURPS Cliffhanger to our homebrew Qwik-6 awhile back to run a Raiders 'sidekick' game. Recently I've come across Resolute, Adventurer & Genius, MUF got a charge out of it. But it hasn't gone forward.

I've been looting Savage World resources for some tasty bits.

The Phantom - I like Billy Zane, and Catherine Zeta Jones as a villainess, but this movie needed a script and a clue.

The Shadow - classic near miss. Great movie hampered by Alec Baldwin giving a Roger Moore performance.

The Rocketeer - a lot of good pieces, including Jennifer Connelly, moving in the same general direction.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Great movie, classic Diesel Punk, The leads have no chemistry and there is not enough screen time for Jolie or Ribisi.

With minor tweaking the old Jonny Quest episodes make for classic Diesel Punk adventures.

More goodies at Fudge Terra Incognita

THE PULP AVENGERS covers the big three:

Doc Savage

The Shadow

The Spider

I have a draft pulp sourcebook for Mini Six sitting on my hard drive. I could do with someone taking a look at it with a critical eye.

I could critique it if you wish. I'm always interested in pulp.

Post it.

By chapters either at MSN's SkyDrive or Google's Drive - we can all take a run at it.

The Phantom - I like Billy Zane, and Catherine Zeta Jones as a villainess, but this movie needed a script and a clue.

AFAIR the problem with Phantom was that studio cut it without mercy and idea. What finally got to cinemas was only a bleak copy of what director/screenwriter envisioned.

Somewhat similar case was with Sky Captain, see quite fascinating materials of the director of that movie (Kevin Conran): http://www.kevinconran.com/kevinconran/Stuff/Stuff.html

AFAIR the problem with Phantom was that studio cut it without mercy and idea. What finally got to cinemas was only a bleak copy of what director/screenwriter envisioned.
I think it was Zane, after the critics shredded one of his movies, shrugged off the whole thing saying 'the movie that you started making isn't always the one you finish making.'

Nah, rather it is the case of not checking the forum everyday. I have to remind myself to make a habit of reading the board at least once a day. While I'm not the most talkative person here, I think I read most of the stuff that was written.

We could start without him. A thread on the General Projects board to get a grip on Two Fisted Mini Six?

I'm all in, but mind you, I haven't read Mini Six rules yet.

I'm all in, but mind you, I haven't read Mini Six rules yet.
The rule themselves take up four pages. They are more a streamlining of classic D6.