D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Whill

Fanboys (the movie + DVD)

A movie about Star Wars nerds - I was hooked right there. I just found out this afternoon from an e-mail (I am so glad I subscribed to from Star Wars.com) that the Fanboys limited release will be premiering at one of my local AMC theaters tonight. And this Columbus, Ohio premier event will have a Q&A afterward with the director, writers, producers, etc. And the local chapter of the 501st and other groups will be there dressed-up as stormtroopers and other characters. Local TV and other media will be there. And somehow I got tickets for me and a pal!

What is the next best thing to a Star Wars movie coming out? A movie about a Star Wars nerd with terminal cancer and his friends who in 1998 journey across the country with the goal of breaking into Skywalker Ranch to watch an edit of Star Wars Episode I. Well, I hopes it's good. It's too late to not get my hopes up for this movie, because there has been so much hype and drama and delays with the release of this movie. It better be good! I'll let you guys know how much I liked it later, but I won't post any spoilers except:

"Nobody calls Han Solo a b!tch." :D

With the actual spectre of a dramatic angle, my hopes for the film actually increase.

Until now it was just some inane lark about being "the first"

to view the film and I was not certain such could carry a film worthy of getting my cash.

The "terminal cancer" dramatic aspect of the film might actually have some sort of actual viewing value.

With the actual spectre of a dramatic angle, my hopes for the film actually increase.

Until now it was just some inane lark about being "the first"

to view the film and I was not certain such could carry a film worthy of getting my cash.

The "terminal cancer" dramatic aspect of the film might actually have some sort of actual viewing value.

skel, you refer to part of the drama. The movie originally had the cancer plot, then it was removed, and then it was added back in. Without the cancer plot, it wouldn't have worked, IMO.

I appears that Fanboys is planning in 5 Philadelphia theaters and for the life of me I cannot find which ones.

Philadelphia / South Jersey

1 LANDMARK Ritz at the Bourse 5 Philadelphia

2 AMC Neshaminy 24 Be nsalem

3 REGAL Marketplace @ Oaks 24 Oaks

4 REGAL Warrington Crossing 22 Warrington

5 AMC Cherry Hill 24 Cherry Hill

The above is from StarWars.com, but I think it is possible that the movie has already came and went from your area. I will eventually be out on DVD.

It was extremely low budget and only 90 minutes, but overall it was pretty funny. It was very cornball at times. But I felt that it kinda snowballed in a good way, and got better as it went along. I don't think it would be that enjoyable to someone who doesn't get into Star Wars, but to me, a longtime Star Wars nerd, a lot of it really hit home. Sometimes it feels really good to laugh at yourself! And the end of the movie was even a bit touching to me, only partially because it took place at the opening of a Star Wars movie (a special event which has only happen six times in history).

But a bad part is that Kirsten Bell is shown way too briefly in her "Leia as Jabba's slave" metal bikini! :cool:

The movie had great cameos of Billy Dee Williams, Carrie Fisher and Ray Park as minor characters, William Shatner as himself, and others. It was loaded with real Star Wars sound effects, generously provided by George Lucas himself, who also donated the use of the real-life Skywalker Ranch to edit the fim and to shoot some outdoor scenes used in the movie. George Lucas personally approved the film.

The 30-minute Q&A after the movie with the director, main writer and producers was very cool. The writer is from my state of Ohio, and based all the main characters on himself and his buddies, who attended this viewing. It was cool to see the real life guys who the movie was based on (and that the characters are from Ohio where the beginning of the movie takes place). I even got to shake the hands of the writer and the director, and thank them for the film, and for coming.

And the writer mentioned that he and his fanboy buddies spent countless hours playing role-palaying games while growing up in Ohio, just like me. :)

This movie is not a tribute to Star Wars. It is a tribute to (and parody) of Star Wars fans (and Star Trek fans as well). If you are a Star Wars fan, then I think you should watch it once. I'll probably buy it on DVD.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the theater was flooded with people dressed as characters from the movies. I saw many Jedi, Mandelorian mercenaries, Rebel pilots, stormtroopers (including scout troopers from RotJ), Sand People, a Jawa, Aura Sing, a 6'7" Darth Vader, and my personal favorite, a very convincing Emperor. And right before the movie started, several full-scale remote control astromech droids rolled in, complete with spinning heads, lights, and authentic movie droidspeak sounds.

I'm not quite geeky enough to dress-up in costumes myself, but I am enough of a nerd to enjoy seeing a bunch of Star Wars characters live, on special occasions such as these. I haven't seen anything on this scale since I went to Star Wars Celebration II in 2002.

I am going to sidetrack your thread briefly since it is semi-related. Have you guys seen Triumph the insult Dog from Conan O'brien when they were interviewing star wars fans before a premiere. One of the funniest things i have seen. Search on You Tube. Ok back to your thread. :)

I am going to sidetrack your thread briefly since it is semi-related. Have you guys seen Triumph the insult Dog from Conan O'brien when they were interviewing star wars fans before a premiere. One of the funniest things i have seen. Search on You Tube. Ok back to your thread. :)

Yes! That was freakin's hilarious!

They should do a massive photo spread of that.

She looks great as "Slave Leia".

This gets my vote. Just tell me where to pony up the cash for my copies of the photos. :D

She is a cute girl, no doubt.

But seeing her as blond so much before made me feel that the black hair in the movie was so unatural looking. Not that her hair color matters for that particular outfit - I'm just speaking in general throught the movie.

She is a cute girl, no doubt.

But seeing her as blond so much before made me feel that the black hair in the movie was so unatural looking. Not that her hair color matters for that particular outfit - I'm just speaking in general throught the movie.

Now I think she looks good with the hair color she has in the movie. Though you only get to see her really quickly, it looks fine to me.

Now I think she looks good with the hair color she has in the movie. Though you only get to see her really quickly, it looks fine to me.

You've seen it GG? She is in a large part of the movie with her black hair - the metal bikini scene at the end was the part that was too brief.

Parts of the movie was filmed in Albuquerque, New Mexico and a lot of the toys and props used in the movie were actually bought at a comic book store I frequent there. I think a scene was even filmed in the store but I won't know until after it's out of DVD (it doesn't look like it's going to show in Albuquerque.)

The last scene in the movie takes place on May 19th, 1999.

It has just been announced that the Fanboys DVD will be released on May 19, 2009, the 10th anniversary of the theatrical release of The Phantom Menace.

Cool!

Hijack

You've seen it GG? She is in a large part of the movie with her black hair - the metal bikini scene at the end was the part that was too brief.

Sorry, to be clear I only saw her in the preview and that was pretty quickly, but good enough to get a decent look

It has just been announced that the Fanboys DVD will be released on May 19, 2009

If you are a fan of the Star Wars classic trilogy, this movie is good for at least a rental (or Netflix, whatever).