D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Siesatia

[TORG] Welcome to Mag-Trak [Wars Start, Character Applications]

I just need to figure out what kind of character I am going to play. Since we are setting it in core earth.

Personally, I've never liked the idea of setting things in Core Earth. I think it kinda defeats the purpose of the character diversity made available to us by Torg. But anyway...

Personally, I've never liked the idea of setting things in Core Earth. I think it kinda defeats the purpose of the character diversity made available to us by Torg. But anyway...

I am not the GM, I am just the player. You can suggest that to the GM though. I had a great character idea for the Nile Empire.

Well, kind of hard to have characters from other realms if this is the start of the wars as they don't yet exist.

That would be my character, feel free to comment on it guys:

First Name: Percy

Last Name: Cheval

AKA: Prince Charming

Height: 1.97m

Weight: 135kg

Starting Destination: Washington DC

Final Destination: Philadelphia

Purpose of Travel: partaking in a Wrestling match

Please input your physical characteristics, our trains use biometric access keyed to your specifications. (From 7-13, Maximum of 66 Points Please)

DEX: 11

STR: 12

TOU: 10

PER: 7

MIND: 7

CHR: 10

SPR: 9

In Case of an Emergency, Please list your skills below, followed by a numerical range (0-3) of how proficient you are. (Example: First Aid: 2)

Acrobatics: 2

Charm: 3*

Dodge: 2

Intimidation: 1

Land Vehicles: 1

Lifting: 1

Maneuver: 2

Melee Weapons:1

Performance: 1

Persuasion: 1

Reality: 1

Trick: 1

Unarmed: 2

Please list your personal belongings in the box below:

2 sets of normal clothes and two sets of ring costume in a sports bag(light blue pants with puffy white shirt and light blue cape), cellphone, Nintendo DS with a few games (depending on the date we're playing of course), 3 X-Men comics, credit card, about 50 dollars in cash

Well, kind of hard to have characters from other realms if this is the start of the wars as they don't yet exist.

I am guessing that the GM wouldn't change his mind on this. If not I can (and I guess Eric could) make a core earth character.

We have 4 players so we have enough players to start and I would like to see this game happen

I'm fine with all starting points when I finally get to play in an actual campaign :) . Torg is just too damn underrated and unknown around here to find a decent group. Before the invasion is propably easier for me though cause I just have to play an equally as myself clueless (quasi)normal person. But talking about our GM, he hasn't replied for a few days now... *pokes him with a pointy stick for +3/14 damage*

Good point. A GM's involvement is the limiting factor for his players' participation, and Siesatia doesn't seem to be posting very often here. I wonder how much he was infected by new arrival enthusiasm when he started this post, assuming that the train (and so the adventure) would take off 5 days after he first posted. 3 out of 4 players have posted their characters, so like, all aboard!

@Warmduscher: Since you're taking a Core Earth character, you can have +6 in your tag skill thanks to the Law of Prodigy. But since that's Charm, wouldn't you like to have at least one add in Persuasion? Those two go together like peas and carrots, and your character doesn't logically (or necessarily) need fire combat. I would have said that he doesn't need melee combat, but you never know when you should hit someone with a folded chair.:D

That is why I never start games pre-war. If you start pre-war, then you basically have to kill your character off in order to play the character your actually want to play.

Of course, you can have people from other cosms, because they could come over in the invasion.

I'm lurking, actually, my work picked up pretty heavily, as did my workload at school as I just started the actual new part of Calc 3, and its not going easy on me... Good thing is I've had time to start working on a few campaigns during my down time in the student lounge.

If people are interested, I can put it to a vote, I'm willing to run a game on almost any terms, my personal preference is core earth, but its not fair to push it on everyone else...

So with that, lets hear it, where does everyone want to play?

I'm lurking, actually, my work picked up pretty heavily, as did my workload at school as I just started the actual new part of Calc 3, and its not going easy on me... Good thing is I've had time to start working on a few campaigns during my down time in the student lounge.

If people are interested, I can put it to a vote, I'm willing to run a game on almost any terms, my personal preference is core earth, but its not fair to push it on everyone else...

So with that, lets hear it, where does everyone want to play?

I really want to play a Nile Empire character, though I might come up with a Core Earth one. If it's a dawn of the invasion setting starting in Core Earth America, perhaps there are some advance people from other cosms who slipped through and are trying to avert the invasion?

@Warmduscher: Since you're taking a Core Earth character, you can have +6 in your tag skill thanks to the Law of Prodigy. But since that's Charm, wouldn't you like to have at least one add in Persuasion? Those two go together like peas and carrots, and your character doesn't logically (or necessarily) need fire combat. I would have said that he doesn't need melee combat, but you never know when you should hit someone with a folded chair.:D

Never read the Delphi Council book (that's where the Core Earth world laws are in, right?), how does the Law of Prodigy go? Wouldn't want to spend more of the painfully few skill points on Charm though. But good point about persuasion, I'll change that one, guess fire combat was there only because he's a PC and every PC gets a gun sooner or later :P And yeah, melee combat is for all kinds of improvised items to smack people with. :)

Edit: Oh and I vote for a pre-invasion start as I like everyday persons getting tossed into weird situations.

New poster, long-time TORG fan. I heard about this game forming on RPG.net and just had to try it, if there's still room.

Welcome to the board, Wheeljack!

I really want to play a Nile Empire character, though I might come up with a Core Earth one.

I have an idea for a Nile empire character as well. If the GM allows it perhaps our characters can know eachother.

I have an idea for a Nile empire character as well. If the GM allows it perhaps our characters can know eachother.

Perhaps having teamed up in the past, such as Nite Owl and Rorschach did?

It'd be along the lines of the basic Gadget Hero... I can't get very fancy until I replace my Nile Empire sourcebook.

Never read the Delphi Council book (that's where the Core Earth world laws are in, right?), how does the Law of Prodigy go?

I haven't read it either;) I got my information from the Revised & Expanded rulebook's list of World Laws on page 146, which tells me that starting Core Earth characters can have their tag skill as +6 for a cost of three possibilities.

Now that sounds like a sweet deal and taken for sure (will propably horribly die because of the lack of 3 possibilities) and makes me consider to take unarmed combat as tag instead for some almost guaranteed hitting, that way one can have plenty of fun with the one-on-many table...

But now that it looks like we got enough players, what about playing times and a starting date?

Perhaps having teamed up in the past, such as Nite Owl and Rorschach did?

It'd be along the lines of the basic Gadget Hero... I can't get very fancy until I replace my Nile Empire sourcebook.

Sounds like a great idea. But we have to get the OK from the GM to be able to do it

My concept requires post invasion play (being a transformed Core Earth/Living Land) character, but I'm also not married to the idea. If fact, I see numerous protential problems with it. After all, a Living Land character than is has neither a Focus skill, not takes advantage of the 14 physical attributes is pretty much, well, gimped.

I'm just having a difficult time think of a Core Earth character that isn't a little dull by comparison to other Cosm characters.

Sounds like a great idea. But we have to get the OK from the GM to be able to do it

And hopefully soon! :)

A somewhat related concept I have is a hero like Airboy, flying ace with a special plane. The F-86 Saber jet fits in the Nile Tech Axiom, so something with those stats and a more stylish appearance could work. Yet a vehicle-based character is a terrible one for Torg... there'd have to be air-to-air combat, which leaves out the rest of the PCs, and many Torg adventures are very hard on vehicles, having them blow up or crash to heighten the drama.

To Hellsreach,

You're right. A lot of the interesting Core Earth characters are interesting because they're average people reacting to and battling against the invasion. Before that... they're just average people, and it feels like a survival horror game.

A somewhat related concept I have is a hero like Airboy, flying ace with a special plane. The F-86 Saber jet fits in the Nile Tech Axiom, so something with those stats and a more stylish appearance could work. Yet a vehicle-based character is a terrible one for Torg... there'd have to be air-to-air combat, which leaves out the rest of the PCs, and many Torg adventures are very hard on vehicles, having them blow up or crash to heighten the drama.

Yep, I agree. I would rather set this just right after the invasion then set it before the invasion.

Again that is up to the GM and what he wants to do. Hopefully they will stop by soon and give us an answer

To solve the leaving out the rest of the PCs problem you could change that into a driving ace. Car chases are usually way more frequent and the rest of the players can engage in some drive-by shooting. And as long as you don't need a single special car (maybe instead a tinkerer who can turn anything with an engine into a Bond car?) crashing them on occasion should be fine ;) .

To solve the leaving out the rest of the PCs problem you could change that into a driving ace. Car chases are usually way more frequent and the rest of the players can engage in some drive-by shooting. And as long as you don't need a single special car (maybe instead a tinkerer who can turn anything with an engine into a Bond car?) crashing them on occasion should be fine ;) .

That's an interesting idea indeed. A Running gadget that gets hooked up to a car, giving it the speed of the device... maybe a special fuel additive as the special effect.

Part of the fun of having a vehicular character is the neat vehicle though... would the Green Hornet be as compelling if he drove a rusty Yugo instead of the Black Beauty?

I also have a picture of the rest of the party pouring out of a building with security guards hot on their tail, yelling to The Wheelman to start the car.

The Wheelman, meanwhile, has half of the rental car's engine taken apart and lying on the ground as he works to soup it up. "Son of a..."