D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
The Game Guy

[FOX] Dollhouse- What did you think?

I know we have talked about the show Dollhouse before and I watched it, because well I will give almost any new show a shot (and I am a fan of Whedon).

I must say I was a little disappointed and I am not sure how they are going to be able to keep it going week after week doing the show like they do.

I thought the kidnapping plotline for the first show to be really weak. The first show needs to really be one of the best shows to get people interested and make them want to come back.

I would like to hear thoughts from other people

Agreed. While Eliza Dushku is always fun to look at, the show needs more. The opening episode showed the possible flaws that the various "dolls" may pick-up, but I am not sure how those running moments inside her characters rolls and the FBI agent plotline (our fine man Agathon from BSG) will keep the show sustained.

While I liked some of the basic directing/editing techniques, not sure on the support casting or strength of scripts. I will give them another couple of episodes, but it best hook me quick or it gets deleted from the DVR.

I was slightly disappointed by it but will give it a few more episodes. I thought it a bad sign though that I got more of a kick out of seeing that the main Dollhouse set is basically the Wolfram & Hart set from "Angel" than much else in the episode.

What's not encouraging is that the episode we saw is supposed to be a stronger episode than the pilot they originally shot, the network made them go back and reshoot it because they didn't think it worked well at setting things up and getting people interested.

What's not encouraging is that the episode we saw is supposed to be a stronger episode than the pilot they originally shot, the network made them go back and reshoot it because they didn't think it worked well at setting things up and getting people interested.

Remember, this is the same network that didn't like the pilot for Firefly and forced Whedon to make a new episode to lead off the show with.

I too am going to give it a couple more episodes but if it doesn't get better and fast then Dollhouse is going on my pass list. I watch so little TV as it is because I can't find many shows that really interest me. So if I have one less show to watch it wouldn't bother me.

So, two eps down now. I didn't actually finish the last one. Fell asleep about 20 minutes before the end and wasn't pulled in enough to go back and watch the last portion. I do so like to watch Eliza Dushku. Just wish she was in something that I wanted to watch. And my standards aren't that high.

Anyone else have the same feelings about it after two down?

So, two eps down now. I didn't actually finish the last one. Fell asleep about 20 minutes before the end and wasn't pulled in enough to go back and watch the last portion. I do so like to watch Eliza Dushku. Just wish she was in something that I wanted to watch. And my standards aren't that high.

While I haven't watched the second episode (By the time I remembered it I missed part of it and didnt care enough to only watch part of it) I will probably watch the second episode and if its not better then I will just give up on the show

The second episode I felt suffered from being yet another genre rehash of The Most Dangerous Game. It's something almost every action/adventure show does at some point if it lives long enough, maybe Whedon thought getting it out of the way immediately was being innovative, I don't know.

I'll probably stick with it a few more episodes to see if things get more interesting, but my hopes aren't too high.

The second one is a bit better than the first, I thought.

However, trying to explain the episode is a blast: Faith from Buffy aided by Lock from the Matrix (and treated medically by Fred from Angel) is being hunted in the woods by the Middleman, and investigated upon by Helo from BSG.

Things arent looking good in dollhouse land. Part of the story from the link provided below:

The numbers are disheartening, if not entirely surprising.

The second episodes of Fox's "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" and "Dollhouse" failed to improve on their premieres last week, even though Friday's biggest usual competitor from a numbers standpoint -- CBS' crime dramas -- aired repeats.

"Dollhouse" (4.2 million viewers, 1.7 preliminary adults 18-49 rating/7 share), fell 15% in the ratings. This is an almost-typical second-episode slip and the show placed second in its 9 p.m. hour, topped by "Supernanny" (5.2 million, 1.8/5).

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/02/ratings-second-dollhouse-episode-declines-.html

<!-- technorati tags -->

I think part of the issue is Friday is a death warrant for network programming as a general rule. Other than the Sci-Fi channel using it for most of their original programming most shows don't do well. Historical examples include Quantum Leap's short move to Friday nights and of course our beloved Firefly.

So, I think this combined with the odd shows that are The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Dollhouse I am thinking both shows will end up being cancelled at the end of this season.

X-files was better when it was on Friday evenings. The move to Sundays was like a move to family programming.

I had forgotten they were on Fridays originally. I would say X-Files, Farscape, and BSG are the biggest exceptions to the Friday is death rule.

Remember, this is the same network that didn't like the pilot for Firefly and forced Whedon to make a new episode to lead off the show with.

While of course was a very bad idea because the pilot of Firefly actually WAS a strong episode and set up the foundation of the whole show. Lacking a proper Firefly pilot, many people were left without a strong idea of what the show was really about and where it was going and too entirely too long to get a strong sense of why people (Mal specifically) were they way they are.

Fox remains stupid.

While of course was a very bad idea because the pilot of Firefly actually WAS a strong episode and set up the foundation of the whole show. Lacking a proper Firefly pilot, many people were left without a strong idea of what the show was really about and where it was going and too entirely too long to get a strong sense of why people (Mal specifically) were they way they are.

Fox remains stupid.

Which is amazing because if you remember FOX in the early years they used to let shows that had a slow start at least find their audience. Now, if a show doesn't perform in a couple of episodes then it is gone.

What I don't understand is why when they film 13 episodes if the show is canceled after 3 or 4 when they don't show the remaining episodes. They paid for the episodes and I would have to think getting some money for the commercials run during the episodes is better then nothing.

Which is amazing because if you remember FOX in the early years they used to let shows that had a slow start at least find their audience. Now, if a show doesn't perform in a couple of episodes then it is gone.

What I don't understand is why when they film 13 episodes if the show is canceled after 3 or 4 when they don't show the remaining episodes. They paid for the episodes and I would have to think getting some money for the commercials run during the episodes is better then nothing.

Fox is a very different beast now from the the early days of Married with Children and the early Simpsons.

Fox is a very different beast now from the the early days of Married with Children and the early Simpsons.

Yes, that was what I was getting at.

I finally watched the second episode on hulu. I thought it was better then the first episode but not super.

I may try to catch the 3rd episode tonight

I work at a youth center every Friday night, so I missed all of the episodes thus far. Lucky for me, they're posted online. I've actually been enjoying them. It's the subtleties that I'm REALLY enjoying.

The dolls are supposed to get a complete wipe after every engagement, and they're never supposed to remember anything of the dollhouse and nothing of their lives before. The one time that this was known by the higher ups to have failed was when it resulted in mass murder.

Right now we're seeing slight signs that our main character isn't getting a complete wipe. I'm interested to see where that plot is going.

Like the X-Files, it's not necessarily about the individual episodic plots for me, but where they're going with the meta plot in the long run.

So far it seems to be building up like the first Season of Buffy did. A few episodes that show off the characters and then the start of the reveal of the big bad of the season.

I'm just amusing myself with the possibilities of turning this into a roleplaying campaign.

GM: Okay everyone, we've done three sessions. But everyone who is a doll, it's time to roll up a different character!

Players: *Groan*

I know a lot of folks here are sick of the "new character every week" deal... but this week they just moved the meta plot into a higher gear. This show is going to get a LOT more interesting in the near future.

I'm surprised they actually arranged a meeting between Echo and the FBI agent. Of course the dialogue there introduced some very interesting dynamics.