D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Whill

Ricardo Montalban, 1920-2009

"I shall leave you as you left me, as you left her; marooned for all eternity in the center of a dead planet... buried alive. Buried alive!"

A sad day for the world.

Ricardo Montalban may be recalled as Khan but to me he was always Mr Roarke

The man with the charming educated voice that offered the impossible at his fairy tale island, complete with morality tale and life lesson -- no added charge.

I am Mr. Roarke, your host. Welcome to Fantasy Island,

Herve Villechaize preceded him by passing in 1993.

I always liked his work and thought him a fine actor.

Not a "fine actor for his size" but an overall fine actor.

A man who paved the way for Warwick Davis, another fine actor whose roles I tend to follow and try to see.

(The fact that he plays a lot in Sci-Fi and Fantasy roles certainly helps.)

I have to be honest... my first thoughts are always his work with Freakazoid. LOL

"Oh, I am such a bad typist"

OR

"Because you TASK me, Freakazoid. You TASK me!"

Any talented and often serious actor that can laugh at himself is a truly remarkable person.

I think that's true of alot of people. It was certainly one of the few that felt like a real movie instead of a 2-hour long tv episode.

I'll miss him. He was an object of considerable ridicule in my youth but he could be an excellent actor.

Kids in high school would make fun of his name, and he had the Fantasy Island show, which also got made fun of. *shrugs* Kids are stupid.

Well there you go, kids in high school. Kids in high school are idiots, hell we were idiots when we were in high school. But we have grown up and now look back and say "boy, that was dumb"

Well there you go, kids in high school. Kids in high school are idiots, hell we were idiots when we were in high school. But we have grown up and now look back and say "boy, that was dumb"

I know some in their 30s (on the cusp of 40 actually) who still think their best years were in High School because that was before they became adults and would be held accountable as an adult in court for the stuff that they REALLY like to do.

Which is why I avoid my class reunions.

I know some in their 30s (on the cusp of 40 actually) who still think their best years were in High School because that was before they became adults and would be held accountable as an adult in court for the stuff that they REALLY like to do.

Which is why I avoid my class reunions.

While I don't know anyone like that, I avoid my class reunions because I spent 4 years trying to get away from those people. Why would I want to see them again?

I know some in their 30s (on the cusp of 40 actually) who still think their best years were in High School

I'm that age and I pity those people. High school for me was the late 80's, an overall dark time for America. My best memories were playing RPGs. My senior year I had 2 Star Wars campaigns (2 seperate groups of players) running simultaneously. Some good times, yes. The best time of my life, by no means. College was a lot more fun overall (a bit too much fun actually).

Overall life is good right now and I don't have many regrets (if any).

I'm that age and I pity those people. High school for me was the late 80's, an overall dark time for America. My best memories were playing RPGs. My senior year I had 2 Star Wars campaigns (2 seperate groups of players) running simultaneously. Some good times, yes. The best time of my life, by no means. College was a lot more fun overall (a bit too much fun actually).

In high school I had a game group that played during lunch every day and it was so much fun.

Sure, high school was (at least for me) an easier time but you can't go back to that time in your life. So why bother thinking about it?

Sure, high school was (at least for me) an easier time but you can't go back to that time in your life. So why bother thinking about it?

The all star high school quarterback now a fat drunk in a bar would of course beg to differ -- drunkenly, of course.

You're kidding, right? Why think about it?

The events of your life...the past...shaped who you are. Not thinking about them leads to the potential of forgetting why you do the things you do. Don't forget the past. Just don't try to live in the past. That's the problem that too many people fall victim to.

Remembering the past, even your own past, helps so you don't repeat the same mistakes of the past as well as helps you understand the importance of your actions in the future.

Fantasy Island's story theme was all about people wanting to relive the past and choose a different outcome.

The ever gracious host would smile and offer them what they thought they wanted but yet they would still end up getting what they needed as well.

Fantasy Island's story theme was all about people wanting to relive the past and choose a different outcome.

The ever gracious host would smile and offer them what they thought they wanted but yet they would still end up getting what they needed as well.

Way to bring the thread's title subject somewhat back into the current discussion, skel! GG would be proud. :)

That being said, I agree with Grimace. There is a difference between learning from the past and dwelling in the past. Learn = good. Dwell = bad.

You're kidding, right? Why think about it?

The events of your life...the past...shaped who you are. Not thinking about them leads to the potential of forgetting why you do the things you do. Don't forget the past. Just don't try to live in the past. That's the problem that too many people fall victim to.

Remembering the past, even your own past, helps so you don't repeat the same mistakes of the past as well as helps you understand the importance of your actions in the future.

I am more adult then I was back then. I hated high school and I am glad to be out of high school and glad to be away from the people I went to high school with. I don't go to my reunions because I don't want to be around those people. I sure dont think about them or high school. The past is the past, time to move on.

I hadn't heard...bummer. It's getting rather depressing seeing sci-fi figures and icons from the 70's and 80's fall. Forgive my sentimentality here, but the world gets less recognizable with each passing year...and losing these people adds to that. I'm still digesting Gygax's death. The same with genre game companies really...SPI, GDW, Ral Partha, etc. I hadn't realized WEG was in such bad shape until recently...

So a hearty, KHAAAAAN! for all the fallen...:)

I hadn't heard...bummer. It's getting rather depressing seeing sci-fi figures and icons from the 70's and 80's fall. Forgive my sentimentality here, but the world gets less recognizable with each passing year...and losing these people adds to that.

I KNOW exactly what you mean.

I was born in 1969 and I'm getting to the point where some days I just have the most horrific culture shock as I try to recall what the 70s were like and compare against today.

I feel like a time traveler or maybe like I've somehow been transported to an alien planet.

Some days I wonder if I should even dare leave my home and immerse myself once more in the strangeness.

So a hearty, KHAAAAAN! for all the fallen...:)

[spock]Fascinating.[/spock]

Well, if you happen to figure out whether it's a time distortion or if this in fact, an alien planet, please let me know. Both seem perfectly acceptable explanations and you are absolutely right, it's culture shock. Still, between you and me, I'd like to go home now...I've had enough. ;)

I'm almost as old, and to cope with changing times, I travel back and forward in time every now and then. I don't dwell in the past or the future, and I do spend most of my time in the here and now. But it helps to visit.

One time machine to the past is my record player. All I do is put on an old record, play it, and away I go... Another time machine is the original Star Wars movie. Watching that takes me back to my childhood in the late 70's.

I don't have a machine for the future - it is more of a mental ability to project my consciousness into the future. It's hazy, and always changing, so all I can see are possible futures.

Travelling to the past is much easier. :cool:

I don't have a machine for the future - it is more of a mental ability to project my consciousness into the future. It's hazy, and always changing, so all I can see are possible futures.

THIS, this all around us is the future.

People can carry a personal communicator with them everywhere.

Other people have their vehicle hooked up to a satellite which then gives them a clear picture of exactly where on Earth they happen to be.

Information travels so quickly and so freely around the Earth that something filmed/taped anywhere can be seen by millions in less than a few minutes.

Every time I look around at today, I see an amazing Sci-Fi future through 1970s eyes.

My "present" is often more like where I was in 1989 or something.

Looking around at all of this in 2009 is like living with the Jetsons for me.