D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Whill

PDF Help

I have Vista Premium Home Edition, and I was wondering if any of you computer savvy people know if there is any way for me to edit and create PDFs (having OCR capability would be great too). But I'd like not to have to spend all the money on Acrobat 9.0

I went to a website that can edit PDFs online for free. But it has to be under to 2 MB. I found one PFD I wanted to edit that was under, and it said it had to be under 50 pages (it had 54). All the other websites I could find with free downloads were all 2 week trials, and I'm gonna need this for an ongoing basis so 2 weeks would only help for a short term and I would eventually run out of free trials. And all the Acrobat alternatives to buy did not have all the capabilities that Acrobat has. And I even looked into older versions of Acrobat, but 9.0 is the only one that works with Vista. So the program with my minimum capabilities for Vista was Acrobat 9.0 "Standard" (I don't need "Pro", "Professional" or whatever).

I guess an easier way to word the question is: Can I get everything that Acrobat 9.0 Standard can do with a less expensive program? Amazon has it for $269.99.

Thanks.

Also, there is an inbuilt PDF creator in Open Office. It is supposed to work in Vista though I haven't tried it as I don't have Vista. Beta testing for a software giant and having to pay for it is not my thing :rolleyes:

Vista just came with my new computer. I didn't have a choice. But I have to say that I haven't had any problems (knocks on wood). It has been on the market for a while so I guess some of the bugs have been worked out.

There's also PDFWriter, found through the same company that does FinePrint. I can't recommend FinePrint enough...it's an awesome program for printing things. I used to use PDFWriter but then I managed to happen upon a real deal and got Adobe Acrobrat 9.0 for 12 bucks. Sometimes working for companies that get deals can be soooo nice.

The other that people have mentioned can all work, I guess it just depends on the cost you want to put forward.

I appreciate all the advice. I didn't find a download for Open Office (I only found a way to order a free disc) but I did download the 995 stuff so far and have been using that this week. It's a slow process while I figure out how to do everything but it's worked out so far.

But in my PDF program research, I came across the fact that Acrobat 9.0 has OCR ability (Optical Character Recognition), which if I understand correctly means that I can scan a printed page of a book and it will translate it into text. I don't need that ability right away, but that would make my project of printing physical books for my house edition of Star Wars D6 (for personl use only) a lot easier. I must have this ability!

Grimace, if you ever have an opportunity to get Acrobat 9.0 for that great of a deal, please hook a brother up! I'll also pay you for shipping, whatever. Thank you thank you.

Sorry, Whill, I'd like to help out in that regards but I don't work for that company anymore. If anything pops up at the new company I work for, I'll be sure to check to see if you want/need it. It varies from company to company, though, on what you end up getting deals on. But I'll keep an ear open.

Means you would need to setup a Linux or Unix system to run the application and access it with a web browser.

Or run Linux in a separate partition on your Windows system to access it via Web browser.

You guys are still over my head, but that's ok.

You guys are still over my head, but that's ok.

There is something other than Windows/Vista upon which to run a computer.

Linux is an operating system

I know what an OS is, and I was aware there were multiple operating systems out there, but since I have only ever had windows myself, I had never heard the names of any other operating systems, and they were not referenced as operating systems above. Thanks for catching me up, skel!

I know what an OS is, and I was aware there were multiple operating systems out there, but since I have only ever had windows myself, I had never heard of those particular operating systems, and they were not referenced as operating systems above. Thanks for catching me up, skel!

One did say Linux SYSTEM, though...

;)