D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
The Game Guy

Walmart

I've gone through a few cameras trying to get one that will work for me. Right now, I'm looking at a new cannon -- the only camera that is not high def and under $650 that actually has a mic input. It is out at both the local Walmart and Best Buy. Hopefully it'll be in very soon.

Buy from Best Buy and boycott Walmart... that is all I have to say.

Well, I'm certainly not going to boycott Walmart, but I hate going to that store, so I avoid it whenever possible.

Well, I'm certainly not going to boycott Walmart, but I hate going to that store, so I avoid it whenever possible.

I hate them because of all the damage they do. They do so much damage to localities and local economies. I love to see when bad things happen because bad companies deserve to have bad things happen to them.

Then I have a marginally happy story for you...

My local Walmart is showing some seriously wonky flaws lately.

I love Diet Dr. Pepper.

So I buy it at Walmart and get it cheap, I'm not proud of that but I live on "EBT" (Food Stamps) and thus I work under a moderately tight budget.

Except...

There was an almost two month long dry spell where my local Walmart had none and could not satisfactorily explain why not.

I finally found out that there was half a pallet in the back room that they just... sort of... forgot about.

Just forgot to stock on the shelves so that customers could buy it.

I dunno what that means, but it did seem to display that Walmart seems to have forgotten even to maintain its already lackluster customer service.

Maybe they set it down on a pallet somewhere in the back room and forgot exactly where.

Also, my local Walmart isn't exactly the best price anymore.

The local Walmart in Rochester Minnesota (Population 91,000 to 100,000) had prices higher on certain products than the local Plainview (Population 3500) hole-in-the-wall that is "Lanning's Grocery".

So if they can't claim to be the cheapest and they can't quite claim customer service... what exactly is keeping them going?

I hate them because of all the damage they do. They do so much damage to localities and local economies. I love to see when bad things happen because bad companies deserve to have bad things happen to them.

I can't help but agree.

I just happen to associate a certain RPG company as the Walmart of the RPG industry. ;)

So I know exactly how you feel when you get to see it suffer somehow.

We're starting to get a little off topic here. Let's please stick to the topic of the thread.

It might be good to let this thread run its course and then close it to open a new thread when the second video update arrives.

Guest bave

Walmart exists for a reason, and it will continue to strive. Facts are this country loves cheap crappy goods, period.

They are cheap because of a few reasons that people love to hate. Namely these are hiring low quality work staff, destroying local small business and competition, and squeezing supplier margins to the penny.

While those things are all certainly ugly things, they are designed to provide what the consumer has demanded, cheap prices. The less they can pay their employers, they less they can charge. The less competition they have, the higher volume they have and they can charge less. Keep your bottom of the barrel employees below benefit levels, pass along the savings.

People love to hate, but they love to save too. If they didn't, it wouldn't work, but it does because people are blindly greedy.

Honestly, I despise Walmart, but not for the reasons most do. I care less about all the things they do as above. They do it because that is business. Anyone else in business would do it if they could, they simply did it first, did it bigger and faster, thats all.

I hate going to a Walmart because of the rabble that lives there. It is like going to a people-zoo. Never in my life have I ever seen people shopping in PJ's, boxers, unshowered and unshaven etc. It is simply a jungle.

I will pay more at the local target, or in general have my wife do the shopping :)

I can't help but agree.

I just happen to associate a certain RPG company as the Walmart of the RPG industry. ;)

So I know exactly how you feel when you get to see it suffer somehow.

You should read if you ever get the chance "Big Box Swindle". It tells some of the horror stories about what stores like Walmart and other big box stores do.

I started hating Wal-mart after they opened a store in the town my friends used to live in. They killed the busy and active downtown by causing all of the stores to close down, and then once they killed downtown the Walmart started to not do well so they closed it, destorying the town.

It appears that towns are starting to see the damage that Walmart does and are boycotting the opening of stores.

Two good documentries on Walmart to watch are:

Walmart: The High Cost of Low Prices

Is Walmart good for America?

They will really open your eyes about Walmart.

Honestly, I despise Walmart, but not for the reasons most do. I care less about all the things they do as above. They do it because that is business. Anyone else in business would do it if they could, they simply did it first, did it bigger and faster, thats all.

I hate going to a Walmart because of the rabble that lives there. It is like going to a people-zoo. Never in my life have I ever seen people shopping in PJ's, boxers, unshowered and unshaven etc. It is simply a jungle.

I will pay more at the local target, or in general have my wife do the shopping :)

I refer to Walmart shoppers as "The dregs of humanity"

If I simply HAVE to go shopping, I go to Target. The shelves are organized, the employees, stores and fellow shoppers are clean & friendly.

As to the other stuff, your business assessment is spot on. Back in the day, Sears and JC Penney's used to be kings of the retailers and the same things were said about them pushing out the small businesses. *shrug*

Guest bave

Target seems to have an exceptional selection of well stocked college girls too. For some reason all the good looking college girls near my house work at Target......

I go to WalMart usually, nothing else beats it for convenience

And I have a lot of respect for WalMart, they are very good at what they do with insane ruthlessness (I would not want to work for WalMart and have no clue how they get people at the higher levels, what sort of company makes execs take brown bags lunches and share hotel rooms and pays less than industry standard? Oh, and Saturday morning meetings. How do they get these folks? And if being a high level person has that dubious level of return, I wouldnt want to be low level)

But WalMart has shown up in all of my business classes as the example for us to consider

Guest bave

Walmart was a textbook example of ruthless corporate operations, a model for pure capitalism devoid of emotion, for that I compliment them. I just don't want to see it in my township for fear of what it will do to my property values :)

As for executives, you missed the worst of it. If you want to be considered for executive advancement you *must* live in Bentonville, Arkansas. It is actually one of the wealthiest zip codes in the US because the only people who live there are the top tier Walmart execs, and they are very well comp'd. We have a client or two who are high up and they don't have any travel or expense restrictions. They generally travel first class and good hotels etc and eat at the best NYC and Philly restaurants, so that part is inaccurate at least at the higher levels.

What I would also tell you though is that these people do really believe in cost savings etc, so they don't go nuts.

Huh, the stories from my Strategic Management class were wrong or out of date then

I dont myself see anything wrong with a company wanting its leaders to live where the company operates, the company I work for strongly encourages that also

Guest bave

My understanding is that it is different than "want" it is very much you *will* live there or you will never get promoted again, never get a raise, get less in restricted stock/options and generally be pushed out the door as an "outsider".

I have heard alot of the same terms which sound very cultlike, and it's no accident. I care less honestly, if you don't want to do it, don't. If you want to make the $$$ then you do it, simple enough. No gun to head type crap.

I go to WalMart usually, nothing else beats it for convenience

And I have a lot of respect for WalMart, they are very good at what they do with insane ruthlessness (I would not want to work for WalMart and have no clue how they get people at the higher levels, what sort of company makes execs take brown bags lunches and share hotel rooms and pays less than industry standard? Oh, and Saturday morning meetings. How do they get these folks? And if being a high level person has that dubious level of return, I wouldnt want to be low level)

But WalMart has shown up in all of my business classes as the example for us to consider

If my local walmart is an example, and I've seen few others to alter my opinion, I cannot say that 32 checkouts with 3 people working them and 15 minute checkout lines at ALL time, day or night, is particularly convenient.

I don't begrudge them for their success or the efficiency which they gained that success. Rather, I hate them because to their almost non-existant customer service. I hate them for attracting some of the vilest forms of human life, I hate them rarely having anything of quality for any length of time, and I hate that their very successful marketing STILL has people thinking that Walmart is significantly cheaper than everywhere else when they really aren't anymore.

Fortunately, their almost total lack of customer care has created a place in the market for grocery stores that actually have GREAT cusotmer service and employee care (like Wegmans).

Must just be the towns. The Walmart here seems pretty decent. There's always about 6-10 check out lines open at any time (save for maybe in the middle of the night). The people are pretty friendly (sometimes to a fault) and I invariably have someone ask me if I need any help finding anything about every 4th time I go into the store.

I don't go to it very often, as it's a little out of my way, and the parking lot is always so darn packed that it's a frustration to find a spot and dodge cars while you walk in. Otherwise, though, the store in my town isn't bad. Maybe it bucks the trend, though....I don't know.

Of couse, the "vilest forms of human life" can be scary, especially since I'm married to one of them. Her employee discount helps make up for that though.

-Chris

I was actually talking about the customers. It just seems that Walmart customers are some of the most rude, obnoxious morons in a given society. It seems that behaviors that would not be considered for a moment in a other establishments is commonplace at Walmart. They only place I'm seen people behaving more rudely is, well, the internet.

Guest bave
Must just be the towns. The Walmart here seems pretty decent. There's always about 6-10 check out lines open at any time (save for maybe in the middle of the night). The people are pretty friendly (sometimes to a fault) and I invariably have someone ask me if I need any help finding anything about every 4th time I go into the store.

I don't go to it very often, as it's a little out of my way, and the parking lot is always so darn packed that it's a frustration to find a spot and dodge cars while you walk in. Otherwise, though, the store in my town isn't bad. Maybe it bucks the trend, though....I don't know.

Towns? Dude, you're in Helena.... MONTANA. My "town" has vastly more people than your state :)

Nice country though, probably can't see it right now under snow though!

I was actually talking about the customers. It just seems that Walmart customers are some of the most rude, obnoxious morons in a given society. It seems that behaviors that would not be considered for a moment in a other establishments is commonplace at Walmart. They only place I'm seen people behaving more rudely is, well, the internet.

Damn good comparison.

I go at odd hours so I don't experience a lot of it, but I have sen it.

And I always take a cart in Walmart so as to have something between most of me and other customers and their carts, otherwise its like bumper cars with me being without one -- OUCH!

I don't begrudge them for their success or the efficiency which they gained that success. Rather, I hate them because to their almost non-existant customer service. I hate them for attracting some of the vilest forms of human life, I hate them rarely having anything of quality for any length of time, and I hate that their very successful marketing STILL has people thinking that Walmart is significantly cheaper than everywhere else when they really aren't anymore.

Fortunately, their almost total lack of customer care has created a place in the market for grocery stores that actually have GREAT cusotmer service and employee care (like Wegmans).

The problem is that a great deal of the stores you go into, whether big or small lack customer service. Customer service just doesn't seem as important as it used to and it seems to be lacking almost everywhere.

If you get customer service anywhere you feel special. It's sad. We need to return to a time where customer service is important again.

Guest bave

What do you need customer service for in Wal-Mart? I just want to be left alone and try to get my crap and get out. I only ever buy a few things there..

1) Mobil 1 5w-20

2) Laundry Detergent and Cleaners

3) Toothpaste and toothbrush heads.

I can be out in 3 minutes.

Customer Service is a thing of Horrid in America. Don't got the article or stats I read somewhere, but we were rated on our customer service and it was teacherous!

I do not have many Walmart around me, need to travel into New Jersey or PA to go to one. Too far really for the bargains they have.