D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Whill

D6 Powers, Revised and Expanded (unofficial 4th core D6 book)

Whill    10

Printed copies have now become available of this book, and Key 20 has a special offer of getting the PDF for free when ordering the book.

EDIT: [Skip ahead to this post with the updated link to buy this product online.]

FYI

Grimace    14

Bah... figures now that I've went and bought it from there I'd actually see the part where it says to "add the book AND pdf to your shopping cart and the cost of the pdf will drop to 0.00". I didn't do that when I ordered the book. *sigh* Oh well.

Whill    10

I'm sorry Grim. Bummer. I posted it on here as soon as I found out to make everyone aware of the deal.

The PDF has been available for awhile now, but I have been checking every now and then for the physical book to become available because I'd rather have the book than the PDF. But now I can have the best of both worlds. I've never owned the first edition and was going to buy it earlier this year when I found out a Revised and Expanded version was coming out before the end of this year.

And I just found out that the core D6 rules are included in this book. I had previously thought that you would still need D6 Adventure or the Godsend Agenda to use this book, but D6 Powers is a complete generic superhero game in of itself. I haven't played superheroes since TSR's Marvel Superheroes (but in an original universe with original heroes) all the way back in junior high. Wow, takes me back.

I was thinking about also buying the D6 Godsend Agenda (I had previously accidently bought a severely discounted copy of the original non-D6 edition and then got rid of it). It's an interesting premise with the pagan gods of human history being super-powered aliens. But I think I'll wait until after I get the new D6 Powers book to decide if I want to get Godsend Agenda. Oh, who am I kidding? I'll probably get the Godsend Agenda too.

My "justification" (to myself) for buying D6 Powers was to use it as possible inspiration for advantages and special abilities for Star Wars aliens (I create a lot of my own alien species for my game). Then again, even if I don't play all these games myself, maybe my relatively small collection of non-Star Wars-related games might actually function as a library that I can lend out to friends (like players in my Star Wars group who also play/GM other games I'm not a part of).

Grimace    14

I got my D6 Powers R&E in the mail today! I've been flipping through it between chores and dinner. Looks really neat! Good art inside too!

As I go through more of it, I'll post more thoughts.

But from what I've seen so far, I want to say: Good job, Jerry!

Grimace    14

It's a softcover book, and I really don't know how it's changed from the 1st edition, since I never had the first one.

I will say, after a little more look over, it's packed full of neat info!! It'll take me a good while to go over it all to really see how good of info it is, but just from my cursory look through (taking about an hour or two) I certainly like what I'm seeing.

Whill    10
I got my D6 Powers R&E in the mail today! I've been flipping through it between chores and dinner. Looks really neat! Good art inside too!

As I go through more of it, I'll post more thoughts.

But from what I've seen so far, I want to say: Good job, Jerry!

I briefly skimmed the free PDF before my windows crashed, and D6 Powers R&E seemed cool, but it's so hard for me to really get an overview from looking at a PDF, which is why I ordered the paper book. My entire hard drive was supposed to be backed-up by the Geek Squad, but I haven't had a chance to look for the PDF on the back-up disc yet. I assume it's there.

But unfortunately I haven't gotten the book in the mail yet. Grimace, I think you ordered it before I did, so maybe that just means mine is coming soon. I'll post here when it does show up after I look at the book.

P.S. I've never seen the original edition either so I won't be able to compare. I was going to buy the original a few months back when I discovered there was a R&E edition coming out, so I decided to wait for it.

Whill    10

Grimace, I got an e-mail from Khepera Publishing with an offer of up to 15 free downloads of the PDF of D6 Powers: Revised and Expanded. I think this was a result of my purchace from Key 20. Did you recieve that e-mail too? It seems they really wanted anyone who bought the physical books to get a free copy of the PDF.

Whill    10

For some unknown reason, my order didn't get shipped for weeks, and only after multiple messages to them about my order status. But I did finally get the book.

The book seems in-depth and well-organized. The print quality seems very good. Of course, the book is still in back-and-white only. The PDF is full-color though.

I haven't checked out Jerry's site for awhile, so I didn't realize that this had been released yet. This will definitely be one of the first books I get once the 'ol finances allow. For now, I'll just have to make due with the 1st edition book. Thanks for pointing this out guys.

-Chris

Grimace    14

Yeah, Whill I did get the email. And I thank Jerry for doing that, as I know he didn't have to.

Glad you got your book finally. Yeah, it is in B&W, but it's pretty chock full of ideas, which is nice. What do you think of the content?

Whill    10

I think the content of D6 Powers is everything I could hope for in a generic superhero game, and then some. It's a one-stop-shop for anyone wanting to play a superhero game in an original universe. A great value for the price.

But it could probably even be used to emulate DC or Marvel if you wanted to use D6 to play original heroes in one of those existing universes. I'll bet you could even get a hold of a cheap copy of the DC Universe game using D6 Legends, and use D6 Powers to upgrade it very easily.

Grimace    14

I think it's a darn good book! There's goods and bads to it, but that's pretty much typical of most RPG books.

I was disappointed that Jerry's new Disadvantage system didn't make it into the book. So we end up with the usual Ads/Disads system that I feel is ... inappropriate.. for D6. It makes the game feel too clunky, too mechanical, too much like D20.

I LOVE the superpowers and how they work the increased levels of the powers in the book! Such a vast assortment of powers and little tidbits laced throughout that really give you some "brain food" to think up new superheroes.

I personally don't care for Point Buy systems. So the fact that they only have a Point Buy character generation system is a drawback for me. I figure I'll have to tinker a bunch with it to come up with a way to create characters without having to have a drawn out mathematical equation figuring all of the creation points. I'd rather there be a much simple method, such as the usual "Dice allocation" method that can be easily converted for adding in superpowers.

I thought the example section for generating a character was a little lacking, but at least it was included.

I thought the art was quite good in the book.

I really liked that the book is a stand-alone. You want to play a supers game? Just use that book! Yeah, it doesn't have a setting, but it at least includes all of the rules that you'd need to run the game.

I thought the inclusions of the various forms of martial arts was pretty darn slick! Neat stuff there!

All in all, I very much like the book and definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a book for creating superheroes in D6. It has a good, workable system, a good method for figuring out power scale, a martial arts section and is all bundled up in one big book! Good stuff!

amertes    10

I've been looking to buy this book and get the free pdf, but when I follow the link from the Khepera page and the link posted in the original message above, I can't locate the product! Has it sold out? Am I just missing it?

Whill    10

Welcome to the board! I looked and I couldn't find out about the physical book, but it is still available over on e23 in PDF form. The book may be sold out right now, but I'm not sure yet. The book is B&W while the PDF is in full color. The book deal I had came with a free PDF, so I have both. If I find out anything else I'll post it here.

amertes    10

I appreciate that Whill! I'm trying to get registered at the Khepera boards so I can ask the question there as well. I imagine Jerry checks that board regularly! I have the first edition of d6 Powers, and I really liked it. I would like to get this edition and use it to run some fantasy, maybe I'll try my hand at a PbP on this board. In the mean time, I'm going to hold out so I can hopefully get the physical and PDF of the book.

Whill    10

I just sent the e-mail trying to get registered there too. If you get on there and ask the question first, please come back here and share the answer with the rest of us!

I feel D6 Powers is a great resource/game, and something that fans of the D6 system should at least support the success of.

I did find that a near-mint copy of the book is currently available at Troll and Toad, and The Dragon Trove has one on Amazon listed as New. I doubt these would come with the free PDF, but you could ask Jerry.

We recently switched distribution and fulfillment houses so things are a bit wonky. I need to update the website.

The books can be purchased online through IPR.

I?ve decided that all the books I sell will have the PDFs for free when purchased there. (I just have to et around to making that happen (I?m very lazy)

Below is a sample of what can be built using the book

Let me know what you think

Typical Jedi

Archetype: Protector

Human

Reflexes 5D, acrobatics 5D+1, brawl 5D+1, climbing 5D+1, dodge 6D, jumping 5D+1, melee 6D (+3D specialization with light saber)

Coordination 3D, marksman 5D

Physique : 3D lifting 4D, swimming 3D+1

Presence 3D, persuasion 4D, willpower 6D

Knowledge 4D, languages 6D, medicine 5D, scholar 5D, tech 4D+1

Perception 3D, investigation 3D+1

Advantages: Authority R1(Jedi),

Disadvantages: Devotion (Jedi teachings) R3, Employed (Jedi Council) R3, Quick(may never know love or strong emotion)R3

Powers: Combat Sense, Endurance 1, Fast Reaction 3, Cosmic Awareness 2, Iron Will 2, Mind Control 4, Mind Reading 2, Precognition 3, Telekinesis 5 (limitation, cannot fly), Telepathy 5, Super Jump 2

Move: 10. Strength Damage: 2D. Fate Points: 1. Character Points: 5, Ka Points: 6, Body Points: 95

Equipment: Light Saber (Toughness 2D, Damage 5D (armor piercing), Powers: Force Shield 5 (reflective, only against projectiles), Obvious weapon, One of a kind) 18pts

Power Level: 4(174pts)

A ?gadget/artifact?

Stormbringer

Toughness: 5D, Physique 4D, Reflex 4D

Damage: 5D+2 (armor piercing)

Skill: Melee 7D

Powers: Fast reaction (only for defensive actions), Vampirism 10 (body points)

Modifiers: One of a Kind (Runesword), Device regenerates, Obvious

Whill    10

Thanks so much for stopping by Mr. Grayson! I personally love D6 Powers R&E. It is a very well-designed game book. Since it is not only a D6 resource for super powers, but also a complete game on its own with no setting attached, I consider it to be the unofficial 4th "core" book of the Prugatory D6 System. D6 Adventure says it covers low-power supes, but now we have the high-power end very adequately covered.

I don't have Godsend Agenda (D6 edition) yet, but I used to have the first edition and loved the concept.

On your forum I saw those write-ups and also all those superheroes you have made with D6 Powers. Very Cool.

Thanks again.

Jamat    10

HI there everyone

I'm new to the forum but definitely not new to D6 Powers or Godsend agenda.

I've played in an online game with Jerry a while ago( can be found on the godsend agenda forum for any who want to have a read) for godsend agenda using the character Blue Bottle, yes the one in the back of the original D6 Powers supplement and which is now being used as an example for creating power armour in the new edition.

My name is even in both editions :D for creating both Blue Bottle and Mirror (both featured in the 1st Edition)

Once I got hold of Godsend Agenda when it first came out I gave up on all other super games, and now with D6 Powers I've got all I need to create my own settings for years to come.

Grimace    14

Welcome aboard, Jamat! That's pretty neat to have your character as an official example in the book. Certainly some gloating potential there. ;)

Look around, enjoy the site, post stuff.... and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)