D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
pathfinderap

Assorted Sci-Fi talk

Speaking of Sci fi. My favorite line from "Live Free or Die Hard":

The Warlock: What, like, you a big fan of the Fett?

John McClane: [standing next to a stand-up cardboard cut-out of Boba Fett] No. I was always more of a Star Wars guy.

Forgive him, for old people, like young people, can be naive

John McClane: [standing next to a stand-up cardboard cut-out of Boba Fett] No. I was always more of a Star Wars guy.

I must be missing something as Fett is from Star Wars...

its actually a botched line that made its way through the proofing, the line was actually supposed to be "No. I was always more of a Star Trek guy."

:P

its actually a botched line that made its way through the proofing, the line was actually supposed to be "No. I was always more of a Star Trek guy."

:P

No, It probably is correct as is and is just a joke. Even though I copied that from the IMDB page I have the movie on DVD, I watched it with subtitles and the dialog is as I quoted.

And when The Warlock gets upset the hacker guy says that he is kidding. I think McClain knows who Boba Fett is and is just being a smartass.

I thought it was meant as is and not a flubbled line. The original Star Wars movie was originally known as just "Star Wars". Yes, I thought John McClane knew who Boba Fett was but was stating he is only a fan of the original Star Wars movie, and not the sequels. A CG Fett was only added to the original film in 1997. The entire series of Die Hard movies have portrayed the John McClane character as old-fashioned in many ways, so I can see John McClane as only liking the original Star Wars.

I believe that Boba Fett was actually in a scene that was cut from the film due to time restraints, not a CG add-on later. Jabba was CG because the thing they had in his place before didn't look like what they had for Return. I could be mistaken on all this, somebody else can back it up or deny it.

I believe that Boba Fett was actually in a scene that was cut from the film due to time restraints, not a CG add-on later. Jabba was CG because the thing they had in his place before didn't look like what they had for Return. I could be mistaken on all this, somebody else can back it up or deny it.

Jabba was a fat guy who walked through the scene doing the lines, Lucas had hoped to replace him with some miniature or other superimposed over the actor.

CGI only allowed him to do exactly what he had wanted to do since he first shot the scene back in the 70s.

No clue on Fett though.

Boba Fett was never supposed to be, and was not filmed, in the original Star Wars movie. Yes, the Jabba scene was there, and it was with a fat guy in place of the Jabba we saw in ROTJ, but there was never Boba Fett present. That was an add in along with the CGI Jabba.

But I think we're getting a little far off the topic of Star TREK. Let's try to stay on topic...even in the Off Topic area. ;)

Boba Fett was never supposed to be, and was not filmed, in the original Star Wars movie. Yes, the Jabba scene was there, and it was with a fat guy in place of the Jabba we saw in ROTJ, but there was never Boba Fett present. That was an add in along with the CGI Jabba.

But I think we're getting a little far off the topic of Star TREK. Let's try to stay on topic...even in the Off Topic area. ;)

See, I knew I was wrong...

I thought it was meant as is and not a flubbled line. The original Star Wars movie was originally known as just "Star Wars". Yes, I thought John McClane knew who Boba Fett was but was stating he is only a fan of the original Star Wars movie, and not the sequels. A CG Fett was only added to the original film in 1997. The entire series of Die Hard movies have portrayed the John McClane character as old-fashioned in many ways, so I can see John McClane as only liking the original Star Wars.

Well we can assume from his comment that he is only a fan of the original movie, but he also may have meant Star Wars as a series as well.

Unless we talk to the person who wrote the script we will never know.

Well we can assume from his comment that he is only a fan of the original movie, but he also may have meant Star Wars as a series as well.

Unless we talk to the person who wrote the script we will never know.

No, its rather blatant, I'll explain

in pop culture if you know alot about any form of Sci/Fi you are considered a geek (but everyone knows Star Trek and Star Wars enough to get by, Han Solo and Chewie, Kirk and Spock, the Falcon and the Enterprise, Lightsabers and Phasers, right?, but know alot more on these subjects and you will be labelled a geek)

The guy McClain is meant to protect is a geek,

McClain makes a mistake about Star Wars to show he is not a geek,

(to show there is a gulf of understanding between him and the hacker, and being a geek is considered not cool, and goes against McClain's tough streetwise character)

Get it?

I split this thread from the Star Trek movie thread as what was being talked about didn't really pertain to the Star Trek movie.

I wondered where it came from and thought I'd read it somewhere else -- or maybe my Deja Vu was acting up again perhaps..

I split this thread from the Star Trek movie thread as what was being talked about didn't really pertain to the Star Trek movie.

Good call, I posted the quote so I started the ball on that thread going off topic. My bad.