D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
pathfinderap

STAR TREK May 8 2009

I'm really not sure about this movie. Part of me wants to see it, other parts of me shudder at the thought of yet another "reboot" and/or "prequel" and think it will just be a flash in the pan.

So, when it comes out, I'll probably flip a coin on whether I will see it in the theaters or rent it later.

Yesterday I saw the trailer in the theater when I went to see Bond. I'm really looking forward to it. I don't think this will be "just another Trek movie." I'm definitely going to see it in the theater, probably on opening weekend, and probably wearing a Star Wars T-shirt. :cool:

Hey, it's gotta be better than Nemesis!

I'm really not sure about this movie. Part of me wants to see it, other parts of me shudder at the thought of yet another "reboot" and/or "prequel" and think it will just be a flash in the pan.

So, when it comes out, I'll probably flip a coin on whether I will see it in the theaters or rent it later.

Just as long as its more Trek, and less Galaxy Quest,

Hey, it's gotta be better than Nemesis!

Thats true, but JJ admitted hes not a trekkie, So I don't know....

To be honest, I'm psyched.

My father -- WHO LOATHES SCIENCE FICTION -- is a "closet trekkie", we'd watch the original a lot when i was a kid.

If I can get him to this, it'll be cool.

Since we will be seeing Quantum of Solace tomorrow, we'll both be able to see the new Trek trailer on the big screen at that time.

It'll be glorious.

And it happens in just a short time after Watchmen...

Just as long as its more Trek, and less Galaxy Quest,

Galaxy Quest was better than TMP, Trek V and Nemesis.

JJ admitted hes not a trekkie, So I don't know...

I think the fact that JJ is not a Trekkie is why this may be good. It's refreshing. Who says you have to be a Trekkie to make a good Trek film? He is not just catering to the Trek mentality from the Trek mentality. He is trying to make a good movie for everyone, both classic Trek fans and people that have never seen any Trek whatsoever.

Galaxy Quest was better than TMP, Trek V and Nemesis.

I think the fact that JJ is not a Trekkie is why this may be good. It's refreshing. Who says you have to be a Trekkie to make a good Trek film? He is not just catering to the Trek mentality from the Trek mentality. He is trying to make a good movie for everyone, both classic Trek fans and people that have never seen any Trek whatsoever.

There is something that makes Star Trek not just another Space Opera,

and if JJ doesn't know what that extra something is there will be people with pitchforks and torches that will want his head..

There is something that makes Star Trek not just another Space Opera, and if JJ doesn't know what that extra something is there will be people with pitchforks and torches that will want his head..

And they will ALL be wearing Spock ears!

It wasn't a "homage" more of a p*** take of Star Trek the actors and the fans,

Which is why it was a brilliant homage.

Some fans need the p*** taken out of them.

Lampooning the whole thing was genius.

Lampooning even more of it in a sequel would have been better.

Which is why it was a brilliant homage.

Some fans need the p*** taken out of them.

Lampooning the whole thing was genius.

Lampooning even more of it in a sequel would have been better.

No the Fans don't, they tend to get the same or even worse ridicule than roleplayers,

due to the same sort of stereotyping,

Its no homage, its just playing up to negative stereotypes,

No the Fans don't, they tend to get the same or even worse ridicule than roleplayers,

due to the same sort of stereotyping,

Its no homage, its just playing up to negative stereotypes,

You saw a different film from the one I saw.

The one I saw, I want a sequel to.

I am exactly the same way. As for the "reboot" part well yes that part I am used to, because hollywood has run out of talented writers so all they are doing is rehashing movies that were already made.

My problem is while I enjoyed Star Trek (up to the Next Generation) I think after that the franchise was just run into the ground.

This is probably a movie I will wait and rent. I am just not sure yet.

My father watched the trailer running before Quantum of Solace.

His thought?

"It looks wild."

It is not approval in the phrase but rather condemnation.

He might see it if I have the DVD and take it over to the folks' place, but I doubt that he will see it in the theatre.

My father watched the trailer running before Quantum of Solace.

His thought?

"It looks wild."

It is not approval in the phrase but rather condemnation.

He might see it if I have the DVD and take it over to the folks' place, but I doubt that he will see it in the theatre.

There are very few movies these days that get my so excited that I want to see them in the theater.

I saw "W" (About our current president) in the theater, it was good but could have been better. I could have just as easily waited to see that when it was released on DVD.

In fact I am looking forward for the new Star Trek movie and am sure I will be disappointed again. This happened with every Star Trek movie before and every TV serial except Deep Space 9. Why? Because I am old. And I loved TOS as a kid. No new release has aroused the same feeling of sitting with the crew on the bridge when they delve into the unknown. But this was certainly only because I was young then. But I never give up hope. When the Enterprise TV serial started, I thought it could do the trick. It sounded like all I was looking for. The early days of the Star Fleet. But it degraded into just another time-travel-grand-scheme-nonsense we have seen in so many SF serials. The concept of the new movie looks promising. I hope I will not be disappointed again.

Every Star Trek movie, Stormchild? What about Star Trek 1 (The Motion Picture) and Star Trek 2 (The Wrath of Khan)? Sure, TMP was kind of slow but the reintroduction of the old crew back on screen after so many years was a much anticipated and appreciated thing back then. And TWOK had the gumption to actually dig up ol' Ricardo Montalban to reprise his role as Khan. Sure, there were some minor continuity flaws in the show, but as a whole it was a darn good movie (arguably the best of the lot). You must have some awful high expectations if every movie, including those two, have left you disappointed. :eek:

The wrath of Khan was exceptionally good and I am willing to excempt it from what I said earlier. It took up one of the best TOS stories and brought it to a conclusion. It felt just like the time when it was shown on TV. When TMP came out I was glad just to see my favourite SF show again. And there was not much to compare it to. But in hindsight, it is frustrating. I can still watch all Star Wars movies and I surely have seen all at least ten times. But I fall asleep when TMP is shown on TV. Of course, today I tend to compare Star Trek to Babylon 5 and Stargate and I am sorry but Star Trek stands no chance.

The wrath of Khan was exceptionally good and I am willing to excempt it from what I said earlier.

I would have to say that The Wrath of Khan is easily my favorite of all of all of the star trek movies.

No, I'd go Star Trek III The Search for Spock, directed by Spock himself ;)

You have heard that even numbered films were deemed "good" (at least 2, 4, 6, 8) by majority consensus of the fans while the odd numbered ones are then deemed "bad" (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and funnily enough 10 as well) by that same consensus?

Which means that this upcoming film should be #11 or #1 of a brand new series and could fall prey to the "odd numbered films are bad" curse.

With that hanging overhead, let's hope J.J. Abrams has a good witch doctor on hand or something.

No, I'd go Star Trek III The Search for Spock, directed by Spock himself ;)

I remember seeing that in the theater and I found it to be the most boring of the movies. Did not like it at all.

Still like Star Trek: Wrath of Khan. I think Spock dying at the end of TWOK was because Nimoy wanted out of Star Wars and they begged him to come back, which is how the story in Star Trek III came about.

If I remember the story correctly.

I'll go to see it in the theater. As my wife put it to me "do you want you membership card to the sci-fi geek club revoked?"

That being said I'm much more excited about Solomon Kain, which may or may not make it's way to theaters in 09