D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Rerun941

[d6 Conversion] Dark Sun-Athas

Which D6 version were you using as the basis for your conversion? If you are using D6 Fantasy then I have some ideas for Character Templates using the Advantages/Disadvantages and Special Abilities.

Example

Ranger (Cost: 2 skill dice or 2 creation points)

Disadvantages: Devotion (R3), devotes nearly all his/her resources to helping escaped slaves find refuge.

Special Abilities: Ambidexterity: Hands (R2); Skill Focus: Water Finder (R1), +3 bonus to survival rolls.

I'd like to actually merge to two a bit... I like the species templates from SW, rather than the flat 1D to 5D attribute range in d6 Fantasy. But I do like the adv/disadv/specials, as well.

As far as building templates for the old AD&D classes, I could care less. Maybe include a list of recommended skills/abilities to emulate the AD&D classes. Ya, I might include them just for convenience, but I prefer a much more freeform skill build. Get rid of the strict class/level restrictions which was always what I disliked about AD&D.

As far as building templates for the old AD&D classes, I could care less. Maybe include a list of recommended skills/abilities to emulate the AD&D classes. Ya, I might include them just for convenience, but I prefer a much more freeform skill build. Get rid of the strict class/level restrictions which was always what I disliked about AD&D.

I suppose Template isn't quite the word I wanted to use. More like Packages that could be purchased at character creation to facilitate the players. An attempt at streamlining a process that can take hours for the uninitiated.

I suppose Template isn't quite the word I wanted to use. More like Packages that could be purchased at character creation to facilitate the players. An attempt at streamlining a process that can take hours for the uninitiated.

Ok, that idea I can swallow. Something like, "Hey, if you liked playing a ranger in AD&D, here's a package to get you started." Sounds good.

Latest draft uploaded. Follow the link in the first post. Special thanks to Grimace for chatting with me over the last couple of days and putting up with my analytical-ness :)

I have a question regarding the Dark Fate points. What are the penalties associated with them?

And also, could you refresh my memory on how Advanced skills work? :o It's been a while.

Dark Fate points are something I adapted from SWd6. The rules for Dark Fate Points follow exactly the same rules as Dark Side Points in Star Wars. In the case of Dark Sun, the Dark Fate points only really apply to Preservers/Defilers. Arcane magic is powered from plant life. Preservers carefully extract the energy they need to fuel their spells and leave the plant unharmed. Defilers, on the other hand, rip the energy from the plants, killing the plant and rendering the soil sterile for centuries. (Perhaps I should change the name to "Defiling Points"?) Defling magic (along with a couple of other factors) is the major cause of the current ecological crisis on Dark Sun. The average citizen doesn't know the difference between Defilers and Preservers ("All arcane mages are bad!") and so Preservers have had to practice their arts "underground."

In the official d6 Fantasy, there are only Fate points. They are basically granted whenever a character acts according to a moral code and taken away when acting against that code.

However, I like to keep them separate and allow for characters to occasionally be evil, but then still be able to atone. It makes for some great RP/storytelling.

And also, could you refresh my memory on how Advanced skills work? :o It's been a while.

Advanced Skills are skills that require advanced knowledge of a subject in order for a character to even use the ability. Advanced skills do NOT default to an attribute. Most, if not all, Advanced skills have a prequisite skill which usually has to be at least 5D before you can train your first D in the Advanced Skill.

The classic example is (at least in a high-tech setting): Medicine (A)

You must have 5D in First Aid (Tech) before you can learn Medicine (A) at 1D. In SWd6, the first D in an Advanced Skill costs 2 character points and takes quite some time to learn. When using Medicine to perform surgery or installed cybernetics you only roll your Medicine skill (does NOT default to Tech or First Aid). However, as a benefit, when you roll your First Aid, you may add any amount of Medicine dice to your First Aid roll.

In my games, I consider things like Fencing and Martial Arts which require lengthy training times and are otherwise unobtainable to be Advanced Skills. Performing a special Martial Arts move you can only use your Martial Arts dice, but if you do a regular punch (Fighting or Brawling), your knowledge of Martial Arts will help you throw a better punch. Martial Arts is NOT a specialization of Fighting/Brawling. A specialization of Brawling would be Brawling: Punch or Brawling: Kick.

Ok, I've uploaded the latest version. The species templates/packages are in final draft form. I've left all the math just to show where the points were allocated. In the final form, it won't look quite so messy.

Thanks for the compliments :)

I'm having a little trouble trying to convert the domesticated animals. Does the Lifting skill work the same for animals as it does humanoids? For example, a Horse in d6 Fantasy only has 4D Str and no Lifting skill, yet is able to carry a 200lb human for hours. Similarly, a Tauntaun in Star Wars has 4D Str and no lifting skill and is presumably able to tote around a Human for hours at a time.

I'm just wondering if I should ignore animal carrying capacity and just say it can carry X or try to allocate Str/Lifting dice accordingly going by the weights listing in the Lifting charts.

In Dark Sun, there is a riding mount capable of carrying a Half-Giant who weigh upwards of 1600lbs.

Perhaps it is scaled up with the size modifier. I know bigger things to more damage to normal size because of scale. Perhapse it works off the same mechanic... or could.

When reading D6 fantasy creatures I had the feeling that many stats just don't match. They seem to be mostly thumb-guessed.

I pulled out my copy of d6 Fantasy Creatures and found the entry on "Horse" and in there Riding/Draft horses are listed with a lifting skill of 7D, which seems appropriate. However, the entry just below it is for a "War Horse" which only has the Running skill and no Lifting skill.

I think you're right, it's mostly guesswork.

Perhaps it is scaled up with the size modifier. I know bigger things to more damage to normal size because of scale. Perhapse it works off the same mechanic... or could.

The scale modifier makes sense. Though, in the case of a horse, it's only +3. Another factor might be a lifting/carrying bonus for 4-legged animals?

That may be part of it too. I wonder if the Tauntaun carries less since it is bipedal? I don't have my star wars book with me at the moment, or else I would look it up.

It may all be just guess work at what makes sense, but even it if its, there may be a way to make it work out with rules to help convert things more easily.