D6 Online 3.0
munkieboi

Gaining new spells

Ok this is probably going to sound like a boneheaded question but after play begins how does a magic user gain additional spells? I know that spells are designed but is there any expenditure of character points or something to gain the new spell or is it just the game time required to formulate it? Kind of confusing to me

It depends on which system you are using.

If you use a system kind of based on the "Force" from Star Wars, you will be limited based on your Force dice number.  

If you use other systems, they may have other methods.  Sadly many do not easily list (so it can be found) what it takes to gain new spells.  Often times it is the die level in the Magic or some such.

Hmmm, not to be a bummer but that doesn't help me much. I'm using the d6 fantasy book since that's what I have (and the d6 system book) and it doesn't really say anything about gaining new spells. If you could either suggest a way that would work or point me to a book that spells it out better I'd really appreciate it. Like I said earlier, I'm still a noob to this system so I don't really know what's out there 

Ok, just had a thought that maybe the answer I'm looking for. Just wanted to get feedback on it before rolling with it. 

Basically I'm thinking 2 ways to add spell knowledge after character creation. 1, equipment advantage for a wizard (ect) to gain new spells for say 3-5 character points since the formula is already done. The pc can add the spell to their character between adventures. 2, they can work them out themselves through trial and error but it takes longer and costs more character points. Maybe 10+. And 3, combine the two. They can find grimoires or whatever or buy scrolls and make out their own spells on their own. 

Would you think that would work since you've got almost my whole lifespan in experience with the rules ;)

Yeah, that would work fine.  If this is for the design of your own magic system, just use what works for THAT magic.  Don't rely on something else that may not fit what you have in mind for the magic.  

If it's not for the magic system, you'll have to forgive me as I don't have any of my books around me that I can reference to give that info to you.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement. Yea, that's the bare bones of the magic system I wanted to use. I'll tweak it a bit to hammer out any potential problems or contradictions. But in a nutshell this is my first creation for d6. 

Your approval must mean I'm not a boneheaded as I thought  :D