D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
The Game Guy

'Monopoly' has electric company

I just read this article and I could not believe it. They are making a monopoly movie?!?! Hollywood has officially run out of talent.

----------------------------

The Hasbro-Universal collaboration "Monopoly" is jumping a large number of spaces up the board.

The feature project has brought on Pamela Pettler to write the screenplay; She penned Tim Burton's "Corpse Bride," Gil Kenan's "Monster House" and the upcoming animated adventure "9," produced by Burton and Timur Bekmambetov.

And Ridley Scott, who has been attached as a producer on "Monopoly" and has been mentioned as a possible director, is now officially attached to helm the project, with an eye toward giving it a futuristic sheen along the lines of his iconic "Blade Runner."

In addition to Scott, Giannina Facio and Hasbro's Brian Goldner are also producing the movie, which will shape a narrative out of the iconic real-estate game. Lawrence Grey will oversee for Universal and Bennett Schneir will oversee for Hasbro.

"Monopoly" marks the latest Hasbro property to look to pass go and head to the big screen. Board games and branded properties have become more attractive as studios look to mitigate risk by finding built-in audiences.

Universal is working with Hasbro on several projects as part of a long-term development deal. Platinum Dunes is producing its feature adaptation of "Ouija Board," while the maritime classic "Battleship" is also in development. Elsewhere at Hasbro, Paramount this summer is set to release Stephen Sommers' feature based on its "G.I. Joe" character. And "Trivial Pursuit: America Plays" is now airing as a syndicated television program.

Hasbro, Scott and Pettler are all repped by WMA.

-----------------------

I just cannot see how this is going to work

I just read this article and I could not believe it. They are making a monopoly movie?!?! Hollywood has officially run out of talent.

----------------------------

The Hasbro-Universal collaboration "Monopoly" is jumping a large number of spaces up the board.

The feature project has brought on Pamela Pettler to write the screenplay; She penned Tim Burton's "Corpse Bride," Gil Kenan's "Monster House" and the upcoming animated adventure "9," produced by Burton and Timur Bekmambetov.

And Ridley Scott, who has been attached as a producer on "Monopoly" and has been mentioned as a possible director, is now officially attached to helm the project, with an eye toward giving it a futuristic sheen along the lines of his iconic "Blade Runner."

In addition to Scott, Giannina Facio and Hasbro's Brian Goldner are also producing the movie, which will shape a narrative out of the iconic real-estate game. Lawrence Grey will oversee for Universal and Bennett Schneir will oversee for Hasbro.

"Monopoly" marks the latest Hasbro property to look to pass go and head to the big screen. Board games and branded properties have become more attractive as studios look to mitigate risk by finding built-in audiences.

Universal is working with Hasbro on several projects as part of a long-term development deal. Platinum Dunes is producing its feature adaptation of "Ouija Board," while the maritime classic "Battleship" is also in development. Elsewhere at Hasbro, Paramount this summer is set to release Stephen Sommers' feature based on its "G.I. Joe" character. And "Trivial Pursuit: America Plays" is now airing as a syndicated television program.

Hasbro, Scott and Pettler are all repped by WMA.

-----------------------

I just cannot see how this is going to work

This has got to be a very early setup for an April Fools joke.

A little too early.

What's next "Chutes and Ladders: The Movie"?

LOL, I was thinking Candy Land too! Well, Hollywood's mined old TV shows, so what's next?

Candy Land II: Revenge of the Gingerbread People

...or how about...

UNO (tagline: "There can be only one!")

UNO: Draw 2

UNO 3: Reverse or Skip

UNO 4: Wild Card

OK, I'm done now.

Actually the story behind Monopoly is a great one full of Drama, theft, corruption in the courts, nasty antagoists, a lovable protagonist (sweet little Amish woman), and a surprizing ending that leave the people begging for justice.

Sadly... I really doubt that this money will tell that story.

UNO (tagline: "There can be only one!")

UNO: Draw 2

UNO 3: Reverse or Skip

UNO 4: Wild Card

OK, I'm done now.

LOL, now that's just funny stuff right there!

Actually the story behind Monopoly is a great one full of Drama, theft, corruption in the courts, nasty antagoists, a lovable protagonist (sweet little Amish woman), and a surprizing ending that leave the people begging for justice.

Sadly... I really doubt that this money will tell that story.

Have to be honest Eric, I really don't think that is enough to entice me to pay $9 or $10 for a movie ticket to see this movie.

I haven't been to the movies in years. With the tickets and food outrageously high and the fact movies normally come on DVD within 2 months from being pulled from theathers, I can wait. There really hasn't been a movie that has come out where I just needed to get there on opening day or I would die. I guess in my old age I simply got better things to do than go to the movies and see awesome flicks like Monopoly !

Besides I got a pretty sweet home theather system with all the trimmings !

Besides I got a pretty sweet home theater system with all the trimmings !

In a sense you have all the pluses of a movie theatre without the detriment of other people.

HOWEVER...

A "home theatre system" costs more than going to the theatre continuously for the next ten years.

A movie a month (at $10 a ticket) for 10 years is only $1200, and my local theatre has a $5 matinee making my expenditure roughly half that since I only go to matinees.

But a home theatre starts at about $2000 just for the widescreen TV and then adds on about a $1000 for the surround system.

There is room in my piddly budget for trips to the theatre, there is no room in my budget for dropping $3000 on a home theatre that will probably get stolen out of my place within a month of getting it anyway.

I haven't been to the movies in years. With the tickets and food outrageously high and the fact movies normally come on DVD within 2 months from being pulled from theathers, I can wait. There really hasn't been a movie that has come out where I just needed to get there on opening day or I would die. I guess in my old age I simply got better things to do than go to the movies and see awesome flicks like Monopoly !

Besides I got a pretty sweet home theather system with all the trimmings !

Yep, I have NetFlix and I can see all those movies when they are released. So what if I didn't see them before my friends did. It's not like you win a prize nor does anyone care if you see them before they do.

I guess I'm just fanatical about my movies. But I have enough friends that must be too, because they all bug me, have you seen it? Have you seen it yet? Even on MySpace, by e-mail, whatever. And I've even read spoilers that weren't properly labled on internet forums. One of my pet peaves is being spoiled with something I haven't seen. So for my main interest movies, I usually do go see them at the theater on opening weekend. I don't like the crowds on opening nights, so I do usually wait until a Saturday matinee the day after release, going with my wife or a friend. The Saturday matinee's are cheaper, plus my local AMC (about 1 mile away) even has pre-noon showings of movies for even less than the matinee price. I don't mind getting up some Saturday's, getting coffee and a pastry, and seeing a movie starting at 11:00 AM.

The only exceptions were the Star Wars prequels, which we did take off work for to go to the opening day matinees (I have never seen a midnight opening release of any movie though, even Star Wars). Maybe all this is because when I was kid, a neighborhood friend of mine told me that Luke's hand got cut off before my Dad took us to see Empire. I'm very thankful that he at least didn't tell me who Luke's father was (either that or I've repressed that memory). And when I bought the soundtrack for The Phantom Menace before the movie came out because I reasoned that the music wouldn't give away the plot, I noticed one of the tracks was called "Qui-Gon's Noble End" and was irked that I spoiled myself.

So yeah, you can say I'm paranoid about having some movies spoiled. You only get to see a movie for the first time once ever.

Plus I just like going to movie theaters every now and then. A few of my greatest memories involve theaters. They're just fun sometimes, and I've only had one movie partially ruined by moms that just had to bring their babies to Spider-Man. Most people aren't inconsiderate idiots like that. And the movie-goers in the theaters I go to are respectful and turn off they're cell phones when the reminder comes up before the show.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bond on Saturday.

But I am a Blockbuster Online subscriber and I use the mailed movies or the free in-store rentals for everything else, including TV series.

What aggravates me is that I can point to where theatres USED TO BE that were a large part of my childhood.

The theatre where i first saw TRON and Star Wars (A New Hope) is now a bookstore.

Where I first saw DARK CITY and the first Matrix film, is now just a parking lot.

Where I first saw Bill and Ted's Greatest Adventure was converted into shops.

Where I first saw The Adventures of Baron Munchausen has become "satellite college" classrooms.

The absolute first film I ever saw when Lady and the Tramp when I was about 1 to 2 years old and that location is now a grassy field.

The LAST film I saw in that exact location was the recent film "Three Kings".

They just tore it down several weeks ago at this point after it had sat empty for about 2 to 3 years.

Spoilers?

Oh yeah, I hate them.

Normally, it doesn't bother me real bad but every once in awhile one gets blabbed where I strongly consider doing extreme amounts of gratuitous violence to the spoiler.

The last was Book 6 of the Harry Potter books.

The big shock ending of the book -- all over the place within HOURS of the book going on sale.

I about gave up on the series completely at that point, as I was only just starting Book 5 at the time.

What aggravates me is that I can point to where theatres USED TO BE that were a large part of my childhood.

The theatre where i first saw TRON and Star Wars (A New Hope) is now a bookstore.

The theatre I first saw Tron and A New Hope is located in a small town in Northern Bavaria near the Czech border and near the former border to east germany. I visited this town recently for the first time since the fall of the Berlin wall, being well aware that change had hit this region hard. Without the cold war, the governmental aid gone and higher economic pressure, I knew this region was the poorhouse of germany. But this cinema is still there. Why? Because it is supported by citizens who know this is important. Though it is a business, it is supported by a citizens' club and gets funds from the few companies this city still has got. It plays a fine agenda of movies you can't find anywhere else selected by enthusiasts (cinematic pearls and art movies as well).

Where I first saw DARK CITY and the first Matrix film, is now just a parking lot.

TheseI saw in a Multiplex cinema in a city of 350.000 and this Multiplex is still there. Though it was new at that time and it's existence has led to the closure of an old movie theatre. But the old theatre did too few to avoid this fate. It had special screenings on Sunday evenings for a reduced rate, but that was practically all. Change is part of life. But it is sad to see that there are lots of businesses that don't keep up with change.

But there are good examples too. In Nuremberg I saw Polansky's Macbeth in a movie theatre that is basically a pub with an attached cinema. This one is built into a tower that is part of the medieval fortifications. It has so much flair that you will go there just because. It still exists together with 10 other cinemas. And, Nuremberg features an I-max theatre. When I saw my first movie in this I-Max (Dark Knight), I promised myself never to watch movies anywhere else (though I didn't keep up with that promise) and went into this theatre three times at the same day for movies I had already seen because it was such a different experience. I-Max gives a movie feeling that is so much better than what other theatres have to offer.

Still the others survive. How? Because they find their own niche. Those that don't simply vanish, but I don't give much about them, as they obviously don't think about their customers or the customers would have done more for them (visiting the shows or even support them as in the aforementioned example). Nuremberg has practically the same size as Wuppertal where I am now. But in Wuppertal only 1 cinema has survived (there is an arts cinema too, but it barely survives, changes ownership ever so often and thus cannot really be counted) while in Nuremberg there are 10. This has more to do with how the owners take on the competition than economy or changing customer habits.

But I am a Blockbuster Online subscriber and I use the mailed movies or the free in-store rentals for everything else...

My wife and I both work for NetFlix. 'Nuff said.

The LAST film I saw in that exact location was the recent film "Three Kings".

They just tore it down several weeks ago at this point after it had sat empty for about 2 to 3 years.

Well, in their defense, any theater that showed that move deserves to be torn down :P

My wife and I both work for NetFlix. 'Nuff said.

I really like NetFlix and I have heard complaints about Blockbuster plus I think they charge extra for watching things online, which Netflixes has as part of the package (unless you have like the bottom package).

A couple people I worked with who had Blockbuster Online switched to Netflix after talking to me about it.

I want my commissions dammit ;)

Spoilers?

Oh yeah, I hate them.

Normally, it doesn't bother me real bad but every once in awhile one gets blabbed where I strongly consider doing extreme amounts of gratuitous violence to the spoiler.

The last was Book 6 of the Harry Potter books.

The big shock ending of the book -- all over the place within HOURS of the book going on sale.

I about gave up on the series completely at that point, as I was only just starting Book 5 at the time.

I had only read the first HP book by the time the 6th book came out, but I somehow got through the series before getting that ending spoiled.

But for Book 7, I wasn't taking any chances. I went and bought two copies of Book 7 at the midnight Barnes & Nobles release party. Then I took my copies home, and my wife and I went to bed. Then we got up Saturday morning, and read them simultaneously all day long, only stopping for showers, meals and restroom breaks. We were on a strict media exile. We didn't turn on our computers, answer our phones or turn on the TV.

We each finished the book within minutes of each other and talked about it. We then returned from our exile and resumed our lives. And since my wife had all the other books, she kept her copy for the collection, and I donated my copy to my local library (to add to their already multiple copies) so less fortunate people who couldn't afford to buy it could read it a little sooner (they had a LONG waiting list).

I am so glad we did it the way we did, and not a single thing was spoiled. HP 7 was the best book by far, and after the last couple lackluster movies, I'm really looking forward to them making this action-packed book into two movies, and that John Williams is interested in coming back and doing the score for those.

Well, in their defense, any theater that showed that move deserves to be torn down :P

I rather liked the film.

It was no "instant classic" but it was superior to the SNL film "Superstar" which I had gone into see and loathed already in the opening sequence.

I walked out of "Superstar" and mentioned that the film was tripe and rubbish and what-all and they offered me either of the other two instead.

I walked into Three Kings about 6 minutes into the film and found myself enjoying it.

But maybe it was just brilliant in comparison with the film I had originally set out to see?

I really like NetFlix and I have heard complaints about Blockbuster plus I think they charge extra for watching things online, which Netflixes has as part of the package (unless you have like the bottom package).

A couple people I worked with who had Blockbuster Online switched to Netflix after talking to me about it.

I have nothing against Netflix because I've never tried it. But I've been with Blockbuster Online since the beginning, and I haven't had any problems. I love it! And I don't watch anything online because I don't want to watch movies on my computer monitor. My TV screen is much bigger.

My BB plan allows me one mailed movie at a time, but no limitation to how many per month. And as an option to mailing the movie back, I can take it to a retail store, who will log it as returned instantly, and that sends out the next movie in my queue the very next day. Also, when I go to turn it in, I can use the mailed movie as a coupon for a free in-store rental, so I've got something to watch while I'm waiting on the next mailed movie. And with their new liberal rental policy, I never have to take the free in-store rentals back to the store until I've already recieved and watched the next mailed movie. So no extra trips to the store, even though I've got two stores within 2 miles from where I live.

Honestly, I don't even always get the free rental when I turn in my mailed movie to the store, because there is not always something I want to watch or have the time. Sure, if I'm not gonna get a free rental then I could just put my mailed movie back in the mail back to them, but the store is so close it is usually worth it for me to drive there and turn it in so I get the next disc in my mail queue sooner.

My original price for this plan was $9.99, but it went up to $11.99 earlier this year. But since I can get 2 mailed discs a week and trade them both in for free in-store rentals, I can get up to 4 movies/discs a week for about $3 a week! But I don't always watch that much and the plan still has a lot of value to me.

The main reason I even joined was to watch things they don't carry in the stores, which I'm sure Netflix also provides. Since being with BB Online, I have seen:

• all James Bond films (in order)
  • Space: Above and Beyond (the inconsistent one-season series)
  • all Steven Spielburg movies I hadn't already seen
  • several other movies scored by John Williams that I hadn't already seen
  • the entire Adventures of Young Indiana Jones, including every single documentary (I accepted the challenge of learing everything George Lucas wanted to teach me about the early 20th century)
  • X-Files: Mythology (44 episodes spanning the entire series)
  • FireFly/Serenity
  • and many other various movies I missed, and probably more stuff I am forgetting right now

I recently started the Star Trek: Enterprise series because I completely missed it when it aired, and thought it just had to be better than DS 9 and Voyager. So far, it is.

We don't even have a Blockbuster in our town.

There were two of them but enough poor work ethic leading to people being charged a late fee even when returning the film the same day -- mostly because the employees would let the returns sit around for several days until they were ALL late and THEN check them back in as returned once they were obviously late.

It got so bad that the whole city organized a "mass shunning"/boycott of both rental sites and they closed in about 3 months.

Blockbuster even tried to "fix" the situation by sending out special "free rental" coupon books and even offering 3 months of free Blockbuster Online, but could not entice people back into the stores.

It was stupid stunts like that which convinced the founder of Netflix to start the company.

It was stupid stunts like that which convinced the founder of Netflix to start the company.

And now he's on the MicroSoft Board of Directors.

Needless to say, I am unfairly biased. :D The hand that feeds, and all that.

Thank god for Netflix because now I see more movies then I ever have. One day I am going to put together a spreadsheet of all the movies I have seen so I know exactly how many total movies I have watched in my life.

I had Netflix, but canceled it. We don't watch too many movies at home unless it's something for my boy. At just over a year and a half, he's only interested in things like Baby/Little Einstein and Sesame Street, so we only get to watch something we want when he's asleep or at his grandparents, and then we usually just want to sleep.