D6 Online 3.0
munkieboi

Lowering funds opinions request

Hi. First time here and just started with d6 system. Just learned of its existence a few months back. Yes I thanked the person who moved the rock I'd been under but better late than never right? So my first project for a d6 fantasy game was to do a low fantasy swords and sorcery game. Usually in the stories of that type I've read, the characters usually don't have much money. They use their wits more and what gear they find. So my question is would lowering the funds attribute be a good way to limit the PC's reliance on things? Like I said I'm new so please, be gentle  ;)

On 12/7/2019 at 11:12 PM, munkieboi said:

Hi. First time here and just started with d6 system. Just learned of its existence a few months back. Yes I thanked the person who moved the rock I'd been under but better late than never right? So my first project for a d6 fantasy game was to do a low fantasy swords and sorcery game. Usually in the stories of that type I've read, the characters usually don't have much money. They use their wits more and what gear they find. So my question is would lowering the funds attribute be a good way to limit the PC's reliance on things? Like I said I'm new so please, be gentle  ;)

First off, Welcome!  It's good to see someone else here.

Sword and Sorcery tends to have people starting out broke at the beginning of each adventure.  Funds dice represent the overall buying power of characters through bank accounts, investments, trade goods, etc... If you want to keep players from simply buying whatever, then I suggest doing away with the Funds dice completely.  Switch over to coinage, and remind players that in the setting, they're adventuring to live the good life whenever they can.  Between adventures, they sell, trade, and give away their loot so they can stay in a fancy place, drink the best wine, and sleep with the most beautiful professional women.  After each drunken bender, they're broke again and need to head out and find some more riches, but give each one a fancy new piece of equipment that they've been wanting which they could have bought, stolen, or won.  Also, if you want to avoid a lot of the record keeping with coins, have the items sold be gems, jewels, artwork, or something that has a value not really set like coins.

I hope this helps a bit, it was the way that my old GM used to run his Conan games, and we had a lot of fun doing those.

• Like 1

It is a good suggestion to just not use the Funds method in the book if it doesn't work for your setting.  It was presented more for people who wanted to run things "fast and loose" and not worry about pinching pennies, so to speak.  But since you are running things on a tighter budget, you may just want to go with coinage, as suggested.  That way you can control how much the players end up with, roughly.  And it puts more emphasis on the value of things, as everything will have value in either trade or worth.

• Like 1