D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Durran

D6 Fantasy (Dungeons & D6) Converting Equipment from D&D to D6 Fantasy

Suggestion:  Choose a baseline.  Then work above that line and below that line.  If you get a baseline for melee, a baseline for ranged, then you can adequately gauge the differences above and below that base and keep things balanced to your baseline.

For many items, say climbing gear, my first impulse is to say that they make the task easier, from very difficult to difficult for example, or possibly decrease the time required to complete, like using a drill vs a screwdriver. I say this because my players first response is to expect a bonus or modifier for using equipment, and they display hostility to the notion that equipment is a requirement to perform task at all.

On 1/15/2020 at 8:16 PM, slipshot762 said:

For many items, say climbing gear, my first impulse is to say that they make the task easier, from very difficult to difficult for example, or possibly decrease the time required to complete, like using a drill vs a screwdriver. I say this because my players first response is to expect a bonus or modifier for using equipment, and they display hostility to the notion that equipment is a requirement to perform task at all.

I've found that a flat decrease of a single difficulty level is sufficient, or add an extra difficulty level without the tools.  It typically works out to roughly a +5 bonus to their skill check, which is ample.  Masterwork or magical tools might reduce the difficulty by 2 levels, or give the single difficulty level reduction with a +1 to +1D to the skill check.  YMMV.