D6 Online 3.0
The Game Guy

[d6 conversion] Serenity/Firefly

Over here it was a pilot (part of a DVD package,)

but you saw it as the mini-series,

In the doctors office Just before Laura Roslin is told she is terminally ill,

there is a panning shot that starts looking up through a glass ceiling (you see ships, one of which is the Serenity) than pans down in to the office

See 0.45

Ahh, ok. That is probably because Zoic did the effects for both and needed ships to fill the shot.

It was by Zoic Studios, put in as more of a homage/injoke

(because they did the ship for both series)

Maybe it is a bit off-topic but this is the best thread I found to put it into. I am just watching the firefly TV serial and am absolutely amazed. I had only seen the movie up to now. And man, Jaynestown is great. Sorry for D6 players (as this thread is Firefly/D6) but I can not help to think of it in Torg or Shatterzone terms. This was the best use of a mistaken identity subplot I have ever seen. Not to forget there was a Nemesis, a Romance, and a Personal Stake subplot in it too. For D6-only players, these are cards in Torg and Shatterzone which your players can play to make the game more interesting for all.

Just imagine a Shatterzone game where you tell your tank who has just played a Mistaken Identity card "do you remember the planet where you robbed a stash of money from the planet's owner and had to drop it during a chase? Well we are going to visit this planet now." And later on the tank realizes, the peasants on that planet made a folk hero out of him complete with statue and song because the money happened to land in the middle of their town square. Not to forget he also left behind his partner who is still here and has spent the last few years in prison only to be released by the planet's owner now in order to kill the hero...

For the other subplots: the planet's owner's son falls in love with a crewmember (or his daughter, just as it suits the group. Here it was the father himself who made a contract with the professional consort who is part of the "crew" to make his son a man). The Personal Stake is in peasants who get close to the tank and one sacrifices himself to save the tank. The Nemesis, of course, was the tank's old partner who is out for vengeance. Maybe for a regular game these are too many subplots at once, but in a movie it works. Best of it, this is a great way to get your typical tank-player who is normally only interested in fights into real roleplaying. He has no chance to avoid it and he can't blow it. So he (and the group) will love it. Sadly, my players know firefly.

Ok, since the ball has kind of been dropped on this and I started this topic I am going to pick up the ball and get moving on this.

Ok, has anyone done any templates for this and/or have any ideas for starting character templates?

Been cogitatin' on this a piece. Maybe the best way to proceed would be to just play the gorram thing, see what shakes out...

Would this notion be of any interest to a bunch of fearsome Browncoats like you?

TGG, if you want to set me up a forum for it, I'll take it from there.

If TGG approves this, anyone interested in it just make yourselves known.

PowerintheVerse-1.jpg

Depending on how the D6 Firefly/Serenity system turns out, I may take a wack at being a player in a PBP game here.

Been cogitatin' on this a piece. Maybe the best way to proceed would be to just play the gorram thing, see what shakes out...

Would this notion be of any interest to a bunch of fearsome Browncoats like you?

TGG, if you want to set me up a forum for it, I'll take it from there.

If TGG approves this, anyone interested in it just make yourselves known.

PowerintheVerse-1.jpg

Shiny! So I take it that you're using the standard six D6 Space attributes, yes? And just to be certain, this is classic D6 Space, and not a Legends version, correct?

Yep. That's the plan. Figure templates and ships and whatnot'll just start to fall in place as needed.

D6 Space, like the promo piece says. 18D Attributes, 7D Skills, advantages and disadvantages as you like (within the rules), no Extranormal stuff without talkin' to me first, and even then it's doubtful.

Use the points system, if you like - 79 creation points, 1 attribute die costs 4 points, 1 skill die costs 1 point - you might be better off with 15D Attributes and 19D in skills.

Just sayin'...

I'm in, with the understanding that my time to participate will minimize for a time when I am bonding with my new child later this year (I'd be ok with you or someone else running my PC during that time though). Is that's ok?

If so, are we gonna start out as crew on a ship? Or are we just mercenaries with various backgrounds that come together in the first adventure for a job? Or perhaps are we characters with backgrounds that have motivations for rebelling against the Alliance, perhaps looking to join a rebel movement (as in Star Wars 1E). Just point me in the right direction and I'll start thinking up a character concept...

I'm in, with the understanding that my time to participate will minimize for a time when I am bonding with my new child later this year (I'd be ok with you or someone else running my PC during that time though). Is that's ok?

Works for me.

If so, are we gonna start out as crew on a ship? Or are we just mercenaries with various backgrounds that come together in the first adventure for a job? Or perhaps are we characters with backgrounds that have motivations for rebelling against the Alliance, perhaps looking to join a rebel movement (as in Star Wars 1E). Just point me in the right direction and I'll start thinking up a character concept...

Any of that'll work. You'll need a ship, though, so if some want to be part of a crew, and others need transport to here or there - y'all know the 'Verse - pick what you want to be that fits in there. If I can't make it work in the story, I'll give you a do-over to get a character that will work.

Fair?

Any of that'll work. You'll need a ship, though, so if some want to be part of a crew, and others need transport to here or there - y'all know the 'Verse - pick what you want to be that fits in there. If I can't make it work in the story, I'll give you a do-over to get a character that will work.

Fair?

Very accomodating. It looks like I can't create forums - I think only GG and Grim can do that. But you can post your advertisement post as a new thread over the in the PbP Game Ads forum. This thread is a sticky and there is a chance it may be missed by some of those who may be interested.

GG hasn't declined anyone running a game here that I'm aware of, but ok. Monday night is his table top Star Wars night, so he may be on here late or tomorrow morn.

GG hasn't declined anyone running a game here that I'm aware of, but ok.

Well, that's different! I thought it might be an approval process. I can put a post over there, in the hopes I'm not the one exception... :o

GG hasn't declined anyone running a game here that I'm aware of, but ok. Monday night is his table top Star Wars night, so he may be on here late or tonorrow morn.

Yep, Monday nights I get together with my group so I am not around. I will more then happy to set up a forum.

My notion is to create the conversion in play. One thing that would help, as we go along, is if anyone that has the D6 Space book on starships could tackle stats for the Firefly class, the Alliance ships you're encountering, and so on. I've already started on weapons, and have a post on the OOC thread with what I've got so far (as well as what I emailed to you and Whill last week, which includes sample weapons that I couldn't post due to table formatting).

Since it's unlikely that Fox would give up the Firefly license for an RPG, especially since Joss Whedon and Universal are already supporting MWP's Cortex System-based "Serenity" RPG, that the D6 conversion will be more than a free download from a website, I'm letting it evolve organically in play rather than putting a concentrated effort into finishing it. Maybe once we've made it through at least Act One of "Power in the 'Verse" we can put the conversion on a website as a standalone document, and also host a .pdf of the campaign to allow others to run it.

So far the feedback I'm seeing has been favorable, so that might be a plan of attack.

I am not expecting this to be a for-pay game, but more a free fun created conversion that would eventually be made available for people to use.

I know there is a bunch we are going to learn as we go, and I do understand about the ships and I could get to work on those. There are some things we are going to need to plan for ahead of time, thats what I am refering to

Ships would be both fantastic and appreciated, TGG. What other things do you foresee a need for? The weapons conversions are in place - I think the second option on that post (in Pit'V - OOC) is the way to go, the more that I think about it, and some Templates would be good - maybe even stat up a few of the "Big Damn Heroes" of the show as examples.

What else do you see needing work?

One thing I want to point out- You sort of changed the attributes. Since the different D6 books have the different schemas (which I always thought was stupid) I think its too confusing adding yet another attribute schema.

How about we stick with the attribute schema in D6 space? Thats how I made my character for your game

What are you talking about, exactly? If you're referring to the earlier posts (page one or so) on this thread, that was me reposting someone's (Harmyn's, actually) D6 Firefly idea from RPG.net. Other than that and my own "Power in the 'Verse" game, I've posted no attributes...

Lee, I take it you are taking notes from our games and are going to use those notes when working on the D6 Serenity/Firefly conversion.

You are correct, sir!