D6 Online 3.0
The Game Guy

[d6 conversion] Serenity/Firefly

Welcome, harmyn! I saw your notes over on RPG.net, and when we started putting together concepts for the Firefly/Serenity D6 conversion, I thought that the work you put in over there was the best start we could have! I credited you in the original post introducing it here, but I've seen posts since where the meat of it was copied over without providing credit, and although I wasn't the one that did that, I do apologize for it. You definitely deserve kudos and all due credit for the work!

So good to see you here! Looking forward to seeing any new ideas you might have for this conversion!

I saw where you gave me credit for it and I thank ye mate. :) I was just giving a bit of good natured ribbing.

My friend and I did a bit more before the member flaked out and after rewatching the series I am jonesing on it again, so I may try and get a bit more done in my very limited freetime.

And I am happy to be here!!!

I saw where you gave me credit for it and I thank ye mate. :) I was just giving a bit of good natured ribbing.

My friend and I did a bit more before the member flaked out and after rewatching the series I am jonesing on it again, so I may try and get a bit more done in my very limited freetime.

Duuuuuude, run it here, for they shall come ;)

If you run it here I know I will play. I love Serenity/Firefly

Thanks for the vote of confidence mate. But I've never run an online game before, and between work, school, my own small group that meets about once every other week (playing Classic D&D right now) and the various misc. game projects I am working on, I don't think it would be fair to anyone that wanted to play.

But I would be happy to share whatever ideas I come up with for Firefly and to kick in my own random offerings of help for everyone else's work.

I can only speak for myself, but hopefully where I stalled might provoke or inspire some conversation that'll move me (or others) over the hump.

I ran across a thread at RPG.net comparing Savage Worlds to Cortex, and the designer of the Serenity RPG stopped in to say that the key difference was that SW was cinematic, while Cortex was more gritty. That conversation led me to wonder where precisely Firefly/Serenity lands on that scale - major characters in some cases survive the most horrific injuries or are taken out like mooks. It's cinematic or gritty based on the needs of the story. Whether to use wounds or "hit points" to best emulate the series and film...

Also, whether to use D6 Space or the Star Wars 2nd Edition Revised & Expanded to do it. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the former to best represent River Tam.

There's a number of issues that have cropped up, but no resolution on how to move past them.

On another front, my team is working hard on our own original universe setting, which ties up my "copious free time" - having a 14 month-old and a 3 month-old at home, in addition to my "day job" hasn't left much time to devote to this, sadly.

Anyway, that's where I'm at.

...having a 14 month-old and a 3 month-old...

Wow Lee, you didn't waste in between kids. ;)

My wife and I have our first child on the way, but we are hoping for our two kids to be about 2 years apart.

Also, whether to use D6 Space or the Star Wars 2nd Edition Revised & Expanded to do it. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the former to best represent River Tam.

Well for me, if I were doing it all by myself I would stick with D6 Space because the rules are newer and add more dimensions then the Star Wars D6 rules.

On another front, my team is working hard on our own original universe setting, which ties up my "copious free time" - having a 14 month-old and a 3 month-old at home, in addition to my "day job" hasn't left much time to devote to this, sadly.

Anyway, that's where I'm at.

I totally understand, I was just surprised that NO one was saying anything. Perhaps I need to jump back into the conversation and help out.

Hmm, I think it kind of lacked a strong focal character or characters, it spread the action around so much it felt diluted (I had the same objection at times in Angel and also somewhat the last season of Buffy)

Also it lacked a real epic feel to it, felt to, hmmm, small in scope. Its harder to muster as much interest in it

I did enjoy it and dont regret the purchase, and would have watched more of it if they had made more, but I recall at the time people changing their avatars and titles and signatures and such to reflect it, people comparing the new Star Wars movies to it in a negative light (and also the 'Joss Whedon is my master' saying that kept showing up), and in general strong indications that the show ruled

Hmm, I think it kind of lacked a strong focal character or characters, it spread the action around so much it felt diluted (I had the same objection at times in Angel and also somewhat the last season of Buffy)

Also it lacked a real epic feel to it, felt to, hmmm, small in scope. Its harder to muster as much interest in it

I did enjoy it and dont regret the purchase, and would have watched more of it if they had made more, but I recall at the time people changing their avatars and titles and signatures and such to reflect it, people comparing the new Star Wars movies to it in a negative light (and also the 'Joss Whedon is my master' saying that kept showing up), and in general strong indications that the show ruled

Yeah it is an acquired taste, but never epic, much more low key,

the western slant tends to throw people as well. (with horses, six shooters, and talking) and it is underdeveloped, a bit, but I thought it was okay in character

I really enjoyed the Western bits, whats not to like about revolvers, lever action rifles and horses? Space Western is a cool genre

But things like 'our vehicle is old and prone to breaking down, we have no money, and we can only afford to eat Ramen Noodles of Space', this is not at all fun, I can have these things in my own life, why would I want to watch this on TV?

The Millenium Falcon is old and prone to breaking down, but its a souped up hot rod of a ship, which gives it major coolness points

Kalzazz, at least you gave it a shot, and no one can say you didn't. I'm sorry you didn't like it as much as some of us, but I'm also glad you didn't totally despise it.

Kalzazz, I had simliar reactions before seeing the show, and even as I was watching the show. I don't watch a lot of TV, and had never even heard of Firefly back when I was watching Revenge of the Sith in the theater and saw a preview for the Serenity movie. I immediately thought 'rip-off' because I had never heard of, and it no actors I recognized. But I was in my Star Wars frenzy a bit more then usual at that moment.

I remembered the trailer though, and eventually came across the background that the movie was made from a TV show that had failed, and that fact alone still hadn't generated enough interest in it for me to consider it further. Then somoehow, 3 years later I came back across it again and heard things in a different light. I looked deeper into the premise for the show, thought that sounds a lot like the Star Wars campaign I'm working on, and then thought that a good quality rip-off of Star Wars and Trek might not be so bad, so I gave it a chance. I was pleased.

Now that I've seen it all, I don't think the TV episodes that got made before the show got cancelled were meant to be epic. The show was leading up to things that never got to escalate in the series.

And while I was watching the series, I actually thought that the River character seemed out of place for the type of show it seemed to be. I didn't see a need for her to be on the show. Then when I saw the movie, all the main plots that the series had brought up were all resolved in a pretty little bow, and the river plot made sense to me.

And I thought that the movie was very epic. They had so much to resolve and they did it in a grand and dramatic fashion. The main character who had been on the losing side in a civil war, had been a cynical mercenary with no political aspirations but to live life as free as possible from the entanglements with Alliance authority. But in the movie when the captain discovered the atrocity that River had had suffered so much for and the Alliance had tried to cover up, it became his personal mission to reveal the secret to the entire 'Verse, no small task. The rogue with a heart of good chose a side (again), and stood up against impossible odds for what he believed was right for his entire civilization, and his success means that a new civil war will probably errupt. That's very epic, to me.

And main characters died! And River kicked some major ass! And they flew through Reaver-central! But the part that really made me feel the epicness of of the movie was when the Serenity came through to that Alliance fleet, followed by that Reavers fleet! What an immense scale, and the main characters were trying to evade both fleets for their "mission." My wife and I were watching it together and I surprised her by suddenly jolting up and loudly exclaiming, "Yes!" at that part of the movie. Needless to say, I was thrilled.

As a final chapter to the TV series, the movie made the series more valuable to me. I would have been pissed off if they hadn't made the movie, and probably never would have never even watched a TV show that was cancelled mid-first-season no matter how much fans raved about the show. For me, the movie delivered. The TV show was just a fairly enjoyable ride on the way there. But I also don't think the movie would be as good as it was for me without having the TV series introduce everything and leading up to climax.

Later this year, I plan to re-watch the TV show episodes and the movie, and I think I will be able to enjoy the TV series more the 2nd time around. Plus my wife missed some of the episodes the first time around, but got interested in the show by watching a few episodes with me.

Do I think it is better than Star Wars? No. Better than Trek? Better than some yes, but not all. A good space western saga with a quality space opera finale? Yes.

I haven't seen a single one of Joss Whedon's other shows. I saw part of an episode of Buffy and thought it was absolutely rediculous. I described what I saw to a fan of the show and they told me I was describing the pilot episode of the series. I replied that I definitely did not see anything to make me want to watch any more. I thank Whedon for his admitted Star Wars and Trek fandom, and for his creativity to make Firefly/Serenity. But is he my god? No.

You should know by now that George Lucas is my God. All hail the Lord and Master Lucas! :cool:

I really enjoyed the Western bits, whats not to like about revolvers, lever action rifles and horses? Space Western is a cool genre

But things like 'our vehicle is old and prone to breaking down, we have no money, and we can only afford to eat Ramen Noodles of Space', this is not at all fun, I can have these things in my own life, why would I want to watch this on TV?

The Millenium Falcon is old and prone to breaking down, but its a souped up hot rod of a ship, which gives it major coolness points

Really its just to contrast against the other sci/fi ships in space shows,

I would agree that these points are true. I am not sure if Joss Whedon did this on purpose or not, but you are correct on that.

Buffy, I liked it at first and it got boring really quick for me, so I am not a total Whedon fanboy

I really totally loved Buffy. Im currently reading Buffy comics. I hope they make more Buffy stuff like movies or an animated series (I think Id really like animated Buffy)

The movie definitely was more epic feeling, I liked the movie. I expected a secondary main character to die in it (considering what happened in Buffy and Angel)

I dont watch TV, so only watched all these things on DVD (which is nice as get commentary and such), I hate TV, I havent tried to watch anything on TV since the first season of ST Voyager, nothing utterly flatlines my enjoyment factor as being forced to watch something at a specific set time and with commercials, Firefly Id heard of, but wanted to finish watching Buffy and Angel first (I like watching things in order), and by the time Id finished Id misplaced the DVDs, so I watched Charmed and Andromeda (I really really liked Andromeda, at least, first four seasons), and finally saw Firefly

I decided a long time ago that if my cousin and I ever had the chance to play in a Star Wars game together, rather than my GMing, that we should use the Serenity as the 'ship' of the game...He agreed, but the GM running the game didn't want us to have a capital ship so I sat down and my cousin and I hammered out a Stock-Light version of Serenity and used it in said game.

Here are those stats...of course long since modified as the game ran for the better part of 2 years.

'The Icefire'

Craft: Baivan-Burton "Whedon-class" Skyfire model-081382

Type: Corellian Light freighter

Scale: Starfighter

Length: 40 meters

Skill: Space transports: Baivan-Burton Skyfire class freighter

Crew: 2 (skeleton of 1/+10)

Passengers: 8

Cargo: 242 Metric tons

Consumables: 2 months

Cost: 195,000 (NEW), 25,000 (VERY USED)

Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1

Hyperdrive Backup: x12

Nav Computer: Yes

Maneuverability: 3D

Space: 8

Atmosphere: 280; 800 kmh

Hull: 5D+2

Shields: 3D

Sensors:

Passive: 20 / 1D

Scan: 50 / 2D

Search: 80 / 3D

Focus: 4 / 4D

Weapons:

2 Turbo Lasers

-Fire Arc: Turret

-Skill: Starship Gunnery

-Fire Control: 3D

-Space Range: 1-15 / 35 / 70

-Atmosphere range 6-30 / 72 / 150 km

Damage: 7D

1 Heavy Ion Cannon

-Fire Arc: Front

-Skill: Starship Gunnery

-Fire Control: 4D

-Space Range: 1-3 / 7 / 36

-Atmosphere range 100-300 / 700 / 3.6 km

Damage: 4D

Concussion Missile Launcher

-Fire Arc: Front

-Skill: Missile Weapons

-Fire Control: 1D

-Space Range: 1 / 3 / 7

-Atmosphere range 50-100 / 300 / 700

Damage: 7D

The Skyfire Freighter is made by the Baivan-Burton freighter manufacturing company in the Corellian system and is known for its enlarged cargo bay and its opulent interior. It never sold as well as the YT-series and was eventually phased out of the market place due to its cost and general size. One of the many design features that made it great was the option of purchasing small atmosphere shuttle craft that could be docked in place of escape pods. This option was rarely exercised due to the costs (an additional 25,000 credits each) and the loss of maneuverability (-1D for each shuttle). The Skyfire, much like its YT cousin is highly modifiable and has its share of hidden cubby holes that make it highly sought after by smugglers, rascals and gun-runners of all shape and sizes.

I decided a long time ago that if my cousin and I ever had the chance to play in a Star Wars game together, rather than my GMing, that we should use the Serenity as the 'ship' of the game...He agreed, but the GM running the game didn't want us to have a capital ship so I sat down and my cousin and I hammered out a Stock-Light version of Serenity and used it in said game.

Not sure how anyone could classify Serenity as a Capital-class vessel, heheh.

Yeah the Firefly class isn't a capitol ship, not even close, its a Light freighter

btw, many people already know this but some may not,

The Serenity (Firefly class) is in the Battlestar Galactica setting,

yep its true, you can see it flying over the doctors office in the pilot episode,