D6 Online 3.0
The Game Guy

[d6 conversion] Serenity/Firefly

I am looking to do a community project that people who wish to can contribute to.

The first project is converting the Serenity RPG to D6 Space. I am going to include some of the things people have come up with already. If you would like to contribute to this thread please do so. Once the project is done we will host it here (giving credit of course to everyone who contributed).

I will sticky this thread so it doesn't get lost.

Firefly/Serenity using D6 Space - putting it together

I couldn't wait for the Serenity game either so I also did my own variation on D6 for it. Of course I split Dice and Skills to make them independent and renamed as appropriate.

Here are the attributes I used:

Finesse

Muscle

Toughness

Charm

Nerve

Brains

Mechanics

Awareness

(Note that players got 22 dice to divide how they liked among the 8 no more than 4 in any one)

And how I broke up the skills:

__Fightin'__

1. Brawling:

2. BFG:

3. Bombs:

4. Big Sticks:

5. Dodge:

6. Horseshoes & Hand Grenades:

7. Pistols:

8. Little Sticks:

9. Rifles:

10. Scatterguns:

11. Thrown Things:

__Criminal__

1. Appraise:

2. Con:

3. Disguise:

4. Forgery:

5. Gambling:

6. Security:

7. Sneak:

8. Thieving:

__Learnt__

1. Art!

2. Bureaucracy:

3. Crafts:

4. Doctoring:

5. Flight Planning:

6. Inventing!

7. Investigate:

8. Law:

9. Scholar!:

10. Science!:

11. Worlds:

__Physical__

1. Acrobatics:

2. Climbing:

3. Jumping:

4. Riding:

5. Sports:

6. Stamina:

7. Swimming:

__Social__

1. Animal Ken:

2. Common Sense:

3. Intimidate:

4. Notice:

5. Speechifying:

6. Streetwise:

7. Seduction:

8. Survival:

__Tech__

1. Atmo Piloting:

2. Boating:

3. Body Work:

4. Computers:

5. Constructions:

6. Co-Piloting:

7. Cruiser Piloting:

8. Driving:

9. Electronics Repair:

10. Engines Repair:

11. Fighter Piloting:

12. Shuttle Piloting:

13. Transport Piloting:

Please keep in mind this was a rough draft and I was making tweaks before a few key players basically demanded a return to D&D.

(Characters got 21d to spend on skills, no more than 3 on any one initially)

And a few bits o' gear:

WEAPONS

Chester 98 ?Mare?s Leg? Short Barrel

Cost: 325 P?

Skill: Pistols

RoF: 1

Range: 3-10/50/150

Damage: 5D+2

Ammo: 12 rounds

Description: Built by the former firearms company Chester Arms on Boros, the Chester 98 has a 12 inch rifled barrel and fires a .45 caliber caseless cartridge from a magazine that hold 12 rounds.

Notes: While its size classifies it as a pistol, the barrel size makes it difficult to draw quickly (users suffer a 2d penalty on all quick draw rolls)

Marlin G50 Full Bore Revolver

RoF: 3

Range: 3-7/25/100

Damage: 5D+1

Ammo: 8 rounds

Description: Wren Works CV54M is considered the standard all other auto pistols aspire to. It fires a 9mm caseless round with no noticeable recoil.

Notes: There are many different makes of this particular weapon design. It is one of the more popular weapons found on the fringe.

Wren Works CV54M Auto Pistol

Cost: 250 P?

RoF: 3

Range: 3-10/30/120

Damage: 4D

Ammo: 25 rounds

Description: Wren Works CV54M is considered the standard all other auto pistols aspire to. It fires a 9mm caseless round with no noticeable recoil.

Notes: There are many different makes of this particular weapon design. It is one of the more popular weapons found on the fringe.

Mowser R Series Shotgun

RoF: 1

Range: 3-10/50/150

Damage: 5D+2

Ammo: 12 rounds

Description: Built by the former firearms company Chester Arms on Boros, the Chester 98 has a 12 inch rifled barrel and fires a .45 caliber caseless cartridge from a magazine that hold 12 rounds.

Notes: While its size classifies it as a pistol, the barrel size makes it difficult to draw quickly (users suffer a 2d penalty on all quick draw rolls)

Please jump in with your ideas

Something like this would be far better as a wiki than a bunch of posts in a forum as that allows the data to be kept together and organized easier for release in other forms (such as a PDF).

So I guess the big question would be: are we going to use the attributes and seperate skills listed in the first post, or are we going to use the attributes/skills in D6 Space?

Or is the whole attribute/skill thing open to discussion?

As far as a wiki goes...that may or may not be the case, but since we have a forum here, now, why not use it? Then, when all of the ideas are put together the information can be put together into a PDF or collesced into one big, long post.

Yet another attribute list.

Please, can we standardize on one attribute list to make conversion projects consistent?

My local group threw out D6 Space and Fantasy and only uses Adventure, for example.

I like Lee's version better, it lends alot more flavour,

In all fairness, I need to clarify that what I posted came from http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=279980, and was written by an RPG.net poster going by "Harmyn" - you should check out the thread, because there's other good ideas there, especially for which character templates should be used.

As far as attributes, I like Harmyn's version myself, although I think D6 Adventure or D6 Space could be used as well (or Star Wars/Metabarons, for that matter - I think Kaylee Frye might be one of those characters in science fiction that screams for Mechanical and Technical to be attributes instead of skills...).

Anyway, all due props to Harmyn for the original work - I just grabbed it and archived it with my D6 stuff - I was planning on creating one myself, since I didn't much care for the MWP version. It's damn shiny to look at, but doesn't set my heart afire to grab some fellow Browncoats and some dice and play the thing...

Yet another attribute list.

Please, can we standardize on one attribute list to make conversion projects consistent?

My local group threw out D6 Space and Fantasy and only uses Adventure.

Chad makes an excellent point; if we're going to be doing conversions and community projects like this, it might be a good idea to codify which attributes we should use.

Personally, between all versions of D6 used, I'd recommend the Men In Black attributes, even though there are eight rather than the more commonly appearing six - those are:

REFLEXES

COORDINATION

ENDURANCE

STRENGTH

KNOWLEDGE

PERCEPTION

CONFIDENCE

CHARISMA

Which, although it's a ton of attributes, does seem to cover almost all the major points anyone could want. I think we should come up with a uniform list of attributes, just to make the conversions more useful (for instance, if we did a Battlestar Galactica conversion as well, I could mash 'em up to run a "Browncoats & Toasters" campaign... ;)

I still haven't finished the Firefly series or seen the movie. I will probably be able to watch the series Disc 4 tomorrow, and then I will watch Serenity Thursday or Friday. I was going to wait until I'm finished with them to contribute to this thread, but oh well. So far I really like what I've seen and I think it would make a great D6 game. I'm chiming in as a fan of both Firefly and D6.

I've always had the view that simple is best as far as attributes. Endurance can be a part of Strength. Reflex and Coordination are both a part of Dexterity. If someone has good coordination, they tend to also have good reflexes as well. Skills are there to differentiate specific abilities of an attribute. Endurance can be equated to the Stamina skill (or call it Endurance, whatever), a specific Strength ability, and so on. Confidence and Charisma could be combined. In classic Star Wars, interaction skills are usually under Perception, so Perception is both awareness and interaction (wisdom and charisma). I can understand splitting up interaction from awareness, if anything

I think the classic Star Wars attributes would probably do very well for Firefly/Serenity, another space opera. Maybe interaction and awareness abilities could be split up: so Confidence and Charisma above could be combined but Perception remain seperate. And I assume there may be some sort of intuition/extranormal/psychic attribute if there is going to be any characters with abilities like River's.

But this is all just my $0.02 worth, so make the attributes whatever you want. Good luck on the project, and I'm looking forward to seeing whatever you come up with, regardless of my imput.

I personally like using the Star Wars attributes if we want to go standardized, but, I think the attributes listed early on have a lot of flavor

Chad makes an excellent point; if we're going to be doing conversions and community projects like this, it might be a good idea to codify which attributes we should use.

Personally, between all versions of D6 used, I'd recommend the Men In Black attributes, even though there are eight rather than the more commonly appearing six - those are:

REFLEXES

COORDINATION

ENDURANCE

STRENGTH

KNOWLEDGE

PERCEPTION

CONFIDENCE

CHARISMA

Which, although it's a ton of attributes, does seem to cover almost all the major points anyone could want. I think we should come up with a uniform list of attributes, just to make the conversions more useful (for instance, if we did a Battlestar Galactica conversion as well, I could mash 'em up to run a "Browncoats & Toasters" campaign... ;)

No, just keep the stats as given, you are not going to do better, anything else will just detract from the flavour,

Of all the versions of the D6 out there the best is the old Core Rules book, (hard to get now) anybody here also own a copy of this book?

I personally like using the Star Wars attributes if we want to go standardized, but, I think the attributes listed early on have a lot of flavor

"Flavor" is what has lead to the problem now with D6 Space, Fantasy and Adventure. Guess what, D6 Adventure can be used for fantasy and space just fine, as well as super heroes and modern day horror. One attribute list to rule them all.

No, just keep the stats as given, you are not going to do better, anything else will just detract from the flavour,

Of all the versions of the D6 out there the best is the old Core Rules book, (hard to get now) anybody here also own a copy of this book?

I have the Core Rules Book.

"Flavor" is what has lead to the problem now with D6 Space, Fantasy and Adventure.

No, not true, those version had other issues,

The "Flavor" of the original choice of stats are the best, and why I said I'd help add to the development of this,

Its going to have alot less value to me if its forced in to a generic blah blah blah,

The whole thing needs "Flavor" to support it,

or why bother?, just use whatever version you like,

This weekend, I will get out my Serenity RPG book and see if I can offer up something useful.

But, I must ask.

Are we going for a conversion of the Serenity RPG to D6, or just using the Serenity book as background source for a D6 RPG?

This weekend, I will get out my Serenity RPG book and see if I can offer up something useful.

But, I must ask.

Are we going for a conversion of the Serenity RPG to D6, or just using the Serenity book as background source for a D6 RPG?

Well there is plenty of information on the net so you can get all you need without getting the book.

I will admit I have the Serenity RPG and the information in the book is nice, I just hate the system.

Well, this may be a radical move but I think I may use Legends D6 for Serenity,

need to sort out ship stuff,

then maybe, just very maybe run it here,

No I really think we should stick with D6 Space. I think that would work best for Serenity RPG.

I will admit I have the Serenity RPG and the information in the book is nice, I just hate the system.

Ditto

No I really think we should stick with D6 Space. I think that would work best for Serenity RPG.

Sure if the rest of you want that I can still help out, but if I run it its going to be Legend, with a new damage system,

I'm aiming for a different vibe here

Since my last post in this thread, I have finished watching the Firefly series and Serenity movie. I loved them! I asked Santa for both the TV season and movie DVDs.

I ordered the Serenity RPG core book and recieved it yesterday. The book's written with style and looks shiny (I love my full-color rpg books), but yeah, the game mechanics system looks like Mi Tian Gohn.

But I wanted it because my next Star Wars campaign is going to be smugglers/mercenaries just like the crew of Serenity, so the show, movie and game are a great resource of inspiration. I'm even adapting The 'Verse trinary star system to my Star Wars campaign world.

I still think the Star Wars system would be best, but I admit I'm biased. If not that, then I do agree that using D6 Space as a standard would be ok. I think the classic 6 attributes (by any names) are good enough.

I'm really looking forward to what the community puts together for this conversion!

Since my last post in this thread, I have finished watching the Firefly series and Serenity movie. I loved them! I asked Santa for both the TV season and movie DVDs.

I ordered the Serenity RPG core book and recieved it yesterday. The book's written with style and looks shiny (I love my full-color rpg books), but yeah, the game mechanics system looks like Mi Tian Gohn.

I agree. The Serenity RPG core rules work but to me they just don't give me the feel of the Firefly and Serenity universe.

Hopefully the conversion will really take shape and will become something people can use. I figure there will be enough people who are willing to test it and fix any problems they come across. Plus, if it's freely available then it will be open to a wider audience.

Zounds!!! Those early notes look familiar. ;)

If anyone can use what little I got pieced together I am happy I could be of help on it. The 'Verse is a great place to game and seemingly perfect for us to have our own adventures. I also think d6 is better than the rules that came out for it.

On a slightly off topic thought, I did the different attributes because IMHO d6 works great when tweaked to fit the game you are wanting to run. For me, that includes both attributes and skills. Such little things help me both sell the game and give a quick vibe for how it is supposed to feel than a generic attribute list. But that's just me.

Zounds!!! Those early notes look familiar. ;)

On a slightly off topic thought, I did the different attributes because IMHO d6 works great when tweaked to fit the game you are wanting to run. For me, that includes both attributes and skills. Such little things help me both sell the game and give a quick vibe for how it is supposed to feel than a generic attribute list. But that's just me.

Totally agree, thats what sold it to me,

Welcome, harmyn! I saw your notes over on RPG.net, and when we started putting together concepts for the Firefly/Serenity D6 conversion, I thought that the work you put in over there was the best start we could have! I credited you in the original post introducing it here, but I've seen posts since where the meat of it was copied over without providing credit, and although I wasn't the one that did that, I do apologize for it. You definitely deserve kudos and all due credit for the work!

So good to see you here! Looking forward to seeing any new ideas you might have for this conversion!