Jump to content
D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
SmoothCriminal

Greetings Anyone Alive?

Recommended Posts

Greetings from Canada!

I am wanting to create my first RPG ever after years of playing various games. I've chosen a D6 platform for simplicity in that people can obtain six sided die easily. That said, I've not written a game as of yet. I have a core premise, and a focused topic/player base. I am looking for suggestions on how to start and move towards play testing. What do I need to purchase as far as licensing to use the D6 platform? Can I simply take an open D6 reference and modify it for my game?

In short...

Hello! Anyone still here? How do I get started creating? :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would depend on what you are wanting to do actually.  Do you have an end goal in mind? Do you have a campaign that was using another system that you want to convert over? Is this something from scratch? Have you ever played a D6 game or adventure before?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My bad, I should give some context and history.

I've played the Star Wars d6 but mostly non-d6 games like Rifts, Recon, TMNT, Shadowrun, Vampire the masquerade, etc. AS for this game.. well, its from scratch. Its a very specific target group and I want something both playable and simple. Ideally I would like to create a full blown core rule book and a simpler more spontaneous version as a mod. I can give you more specific details if you like, I don't want to bore you. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mavelic said:

We are alive !

Nice you use opend6 for your game.

Merry Xmas (from France) !!

Merry Christmas to you as well!

I've not used any system as of yet. I did try the fudge system but lost that work sadly. I'm here to explore the D6 system and figure out what I need to get started from scratch again. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SmoothCriminal said:

I've not used any system as of yet. I did try the fudge system but lost that work sadly. I'm here to explore the D6 system and figure out what I need to get started from scratch again. :)

I think that depends on what your goal is ... what are you wanting to accomplish? I'm a long time player and GM of Fudge as well as D6 and a few other systems.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SmoothCriminal said:

Hmm ok.. maybe I'm not asking clearly. Can I legally modify the D6 system to create my game? I think Fudge requires credit and a fee of some sort.

Yes. Neither require a fee. Both Fudge and OpenD6 are Open systems using the Open Gaming Licence. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SmoothCriminal said:

Greetings from Canada!

I am wanting to create my first RPG ever after years of playing various games. I've chosen a D6 platform for simplicity in that people can obtain six sided die easily. That said, I've not written a game as of yet. I have a core premise, and a focused topic/player base. I am looking for suggestions on how to start and move towards play testing. What do I need to purchase as far as licensing to use the D6 platform? Can I simply take an open D6 reference and modify it for my game?

In short...

Hello! Anyone still here? How do I get started creating? :)

Welcome!

I'm still here as well, I check back every couple of days unless someone replies to my thread.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here then is what I want to do.

As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I accept a book called The Book of Mormon. It contains over 1000 years of people, places, events, and adventure. My goal is to create an RPG within that environment. It offers a complete coin/money system, timelines, groupings of people and various cities. I would like players to be able to interact with given characters, but you couldn't BE an established person... if that makes sense. You can meet and work with Han Solo, you can't BE Han Solo. :)

I'm liking the D6 idea because regular dice are readily available from dollar stores and Walmart. The game is for a targeted group but could be enjoyed by non-members as well. In fact that is part of my goal. To allow those not of the faith to interact and gain an understand through role-play.

So there it is in a nutshell.. You could be a simple Nephite farmer called to join the local militia to fight off 100's of attacking Lamanite warriors, or you could be sent by your father to retrieve special items, perhaps you and some buddies are upset that the Gadianton robbers have stolen most of your stuff, so now you want to arm yourselves and go into the nearby mountains to find their hideout and get your stuff back. Maybe you want revenge on the low-life that raped your wife and daughter and then sacrificed her to some idol?

There's much material to draw from, and I want to help make it much more interactive. Any assistance would be appreciated!

No, I'm not here looking to preach. I literally have a goal to create this as an RPG. I even made a logo :)

Hope to hear from any of you soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the bottom of the OpenD6 license it states:

"The D6 System; the D6 trademarks, the D6 and related logos and any derivative trademarks not specified as Open Game Content; and all cover and interior art and trade dress are designated as Product Identity (PI) and are properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc. All rights reserved. Open Game Content: All game mechanics and material not covered under Product Identity (PI) above; OpenD6 trademark and OpenD6 logo (as displayed on this document cover page)."

 

Does this mean that any art that I create or have created independently are no longer mine? You will notice this wording " and all cover and interior art and trade dress are designated as Product Identity (PI) and are properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc. All rights reserved."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SmoothCriminal said:

At the bottom of the OpenD6 license it states:

"The D6 System; the D6 trademarks, the D6 and related logos and any derivative trademarks not specified as Open Game Content; and all cover and interior art and trade dress are designated as Product Identity (PI) and are properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc. All rights reserved. Open Game Content: All game mechanics and material not covered under Product Identity (PI) above; OpenD6 trademark and OpenD6 logo (as displayed on this document cover page)."

 

Does this mean that any art that I create or have created independently are no longer mine? You will notice this wording " and all cover and interior art and trade dress are designated as Product Identity (PI) and are properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc. All rights reserved."

No that is for that book itself. Using the Open Gaming License under #15 you can indicate what is owned by you and what is open gaming content.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is that section from the BreachWorld RPG, a D6 game that uses a variant called Mini Six

 

1 5. COPYRIGHT NOTICE
Open Game License v 1 .0 Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
D6 Adventure (WEG51 011 ), Copyright 2004, Purgatory Publishing Inc.
West End Games, WEG, and D6 System are trademarks and properties of Purgatory
Publishing Inc.
Mini Six Bare Bones Edition, Copyright 2010, AntiPaladin Games.
Mini Six, and APG are trademarks and properties of AntiPaladin Games.
Breachworld RPG, Copyright 201 4, Jason Richards Publishing.
Breachworld is the trademark and property of Jason Richards Publishing.

PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION:
Product Identity: The D6 System; the D6 trademarks, the D6 and related logos and any
derivative trademarks not specified as Open Game Content are designated as Product
Identity (PI) and are properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc. All rights reserved.
Product Identity: [In regards to Mini Six Bare Bones Edition,] All text on pages 26, 27,
28, & 29 (except for game mechanics), all artwork, and trade dress are Product Identity
(PI) of AntiPaladin Games.
The Mini Six and the Mini Six Bare Bones Edition trademarks and related logos and any
derivative trademarks are designated as Product Identity (PI) and are properties of
AntiPaladin Games. All rights reserved.
Product Identity: The Breachworld setting and logo, and all related characters, creatures,
places, story, art, trade dress, and concepts other than game mechanics are designated as
Product Identity (PI) and are the properties of Jason Richards Publishing. All rights
reserved.
Open Game Content: All game mechanics and material not covered under Product
Identity (PI) above; OpenD6 trademark and OpenD6 logo.

 

 

----

so you can modify your own for your own setting and design

Edited by anlarye
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SmoothCriminal said:

Here then is what I want to do.

As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I accept a book called The Book of Mormon. It contains over 1000 years of people, places, events, and adventure. My goal is to create an RPG within that environment. It offers a complete coin/money system, timelines, groupings of people and various cities. I would like players to be able to interact with given characters, but you couldn't BE an established person... if that makes sense. You can meet and work with Han Solo, you can't BE Han Solo. :)

I'm liking the D6 idea because regular dice are readily available from dollar stores and Walmart. The game is for a targeted group but could be enjoyed by non-members as well. In fact that is part of my goal. To allow those not of the faith to interact and gain an understand through role-play.

So there it is in a nutshell.. You could be a simple Nephite farmer called to join the local militia to fight off 100's of attacking Lamanite warriors, or you could be sent by your father to retrieve special items, perhaps you and some buddies are upset that the Gadianton robbers have stolen most of your stuff, so now you want to arm yourselves and go into the nearby mountains to find their hideout and get your stuff back. Maybe you want revenge on the low-life that raped your wife and daughter and then sacrificed her to some idol?

There's much material to draw from, and I want to help make it much more interactive. Any assistance would be appreciated!

No, I'm not here looking to preach. I literally have a goal to create this as an RPG. I even made a logo :)

Hope to hear from any of you soon.

Interesting concept. I've seen RPG's used for helping to teach languages.  I hope the project works out for you.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×