D6 Online 3.0
Mavelic

Ranged attack rules ?

Hi,

Again I need a bit of explaination concerning ranged weapons combat modifiers.

If my target has a base combat difficulty/passive defense value of 10 (Fantasy p.60), then if a pc shoot him with a long bow at long range, the base difficulty with markesmanship skill should be 20 (10+10) regarding Common Combat Difficulty Modifiers (p.61) ; if the shoot come from short range, difficulty becomes 10 (10+0), so from point blank the difficulty should be 5 (10-5)... OK, but...

If the pc attack the same target with a sword instead, obviously from point blank (less than 3 meters away then), the difficulty to hit with melee skill is still 10 !?!

There is not a problem there, a strong advantage for ranged weapons ?? Also, if pc use aiming time (up to +3D to hit), it becomes really easy to shoot a target from far.

So, how you play/rule ranged weapon combat (medfant essentialy) ? Some exemple please ? Or I missed something essential ?

Accustomed to GURPS ranged table (adding both speed+range), sometime what is obvious becomes not obvious to me... :)

Thanks in advance

I'll look into your examples for pages and get back to you with an explanation.  Saw this too late for a full explanation.

Okay, looking at the page you listed, the following aspects are applicable:

Base defense of 10 is correct.  That is what a person gets if they are not doing anything to avoid the shot.  No Partial or Full Defense rolls.  

So firing as per your examples is correct...if the target is not doing anything to dodge or avoid the shot.

Now, as for your melee combat example, that's not entirely accurate.

If you have a person with a sword attack a person close to them, chances are the target is not going to just "stand there" and get the base 10 example.  But, if they did, you could easily put the base defense at 10, and then -5 for being in "point blank" range (melee range), puts the difficulty to hit the person at 5.  

Realistically, though, it is going to be an attack and a defensive roll by the target, which completely takes the place of the Base Defense 10.  

An example:

Fighter 1 attacks Monster 1.  Monster 1 intends to fend off the attack of the fighter, and swing for the fighter's head.  Fighter is going to take a vicious swing at the monster in hopes of cleaving it in two.  

Fighter rolls Fighting of 6d for his attack.  He gets a 26.

Monster 1 is taking two actions, so -1D to each action.  First is a parry of the attack.  Monster's Fighting ability is 5D+2.  But this roll, with the multi-action penalty, puts the roll at 4D+2.  It rolls a 20.  With the +2, that makes it 22.  The monster is hit!  

If the monster survives the hit, it can take its second action, also at a -1D due to multiple action.  The fighter, on the other hand, would have a Base defense to avoid the attack, since the fighter only declared 1 attack.  

Damage of the sword is 3D+Physique.  So the fighter rolls 7D and gets 30.  If using Body Points, the Monster takes 30 hits and depending on what percentage of the total hit points is lost, it could be wounded or even dead.  If using Wound Levels, the Monster rolls its Physique and gets to minus that amount from 30 to see what level of injury was inflicted by the blow.  Say the Monster rolls a 16.  That would be a difference of 14.  That would put the Monster is Mortally Wounded and knocked unconscious.  So the Monster would not get to roll its second action.  If, instead, the monster rolled a 27, that would put the difference at 3, meaning the Monster is Stunned, suffering an additional -1D to any further actions that round.  

Then the Monster would be able to attack the Fighter, but would roll Fighting -2D to see if it hits.  Fighting is normally 5D+2, so that is reduced to 3D+2.  Monster rolls and get a 9, for a total of 11.  Fighter did not have any other actions, so his Base Difficulty is 10.  But, considering the range, that puts a -5 to the difficulty.  Thus the fighter is hit on a 5 or greater.  The Monster roars and swings its massive claw at the fighter's head.  The Fighter realizes too late that he wasn't ready for an attack, and catches the blow on the side of his helmeted head.  

Now the Monster rolls damage, which is Physique. Say it rolls a 21.  We can add +2 for the claws, making it 23.  The Fighter would normally not get to roll if using Body Points, but in this case he has a Helmet on, which provides protection!  So he does get to reduce the damage in Body Points.  Now they don't have a helm listed, but you could extrapolate that a Buckler is +2 (Page 116 in D6Fantasy), so an armored helm might be +1.  That reduces the damage by 1, making only 22 points of damage that is lost using the Body Points system.  

If you use Wound Levels, the Fighter would roll Physique and add +1 for the helm.

But there is also the option of inflicting additional damage on the head (Page 70 in D6 Fantasy) of +12.  Yes, it also adds to the difficulty to hit the target, but in this case, the Monster still qualifies.  So now it's 22 + 12, for a total of 34.  In Body Points, chances are the Fighter is going down from the blow.  Using Wound Levels, the Fighter would roll Physique and add +1 due to the helm.  So if the fighter got a total of 19, that would be a difference of 15, putting the fighter in Mortally Wounded status.  

Hopefully this helps you understand it more.

Thank you for this fully detailed answer ! :)

So, if i understand correctly, you would apply -5 range modifier to hand (close) attack ? I thought it was just for *ranged* attacks, not close combat.

Thank you again

Yes, if you use the range modifiers, then I would use it.  Honestly, I don't give any added benefit for Point Blank range.  For me, Close is 0, Medium is -10, Long is -20.  No bonus for Point Blank.  

But if you are playing with all modifiers, then I would apply the Point Blank for Melee IF (and only if) the target is not actively dodging/parrying.

1 hour ago, Grimace said:

Honestly, I don't give any added benefit for Point Blank range.  For me, Close is 0, Medium is -10, Long is -20.  No bonus for Point Blank.  

Well, I agree with that, there is no reason of PB bonus, it doesn't really make sense ; for distance shot, there is aiming bonus (+1D per turn) and i think that's enough.

I know you use a mixed wounds/body points with target making Physique roll + armor vs Physique+weapon, so I would like to know about your own armor system : is it balanced compared to Fantasy original ?

It is more balanced according to the D6 System book, as that is what I used because D6 Fantasy wasn't produced yet when I made my fantasy rules.  Basically, my armor protects against Slashing, Piecing and/or Blunt damage.  So each weapon had that damage type listed.  

When a target is hit by a weapon, the target rolls Physique + Armor (vs. type of damage) and the attacker rolls Physique + Damage of weapon.  

So my weapons and armor are balanced to work with each other.  It should roughly work with D6 Fantasy, as it is D6, but if you don't use both the weapons and armor, there's no guarantee of balance.