D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Whill

What do you do? And where/when do you view/post here?

I was just curious what the members of this forum do for a living?

And a related question to that is when and where do you view the forum and post from because some of us may use the forum during work and some may be forbidden/do not have access.

Of course if you don't want to reveal any info about your personal life then you won't post here, so this is directed to those that don't mind sharing.

For over 8 years I've worked at the country's leading PBM, which is a prescription benefits management company. Most of my job involves taking phone calls, and my title is "Resolution Expert" (sounds good anyway). My company has many locations around the nation, and I answer a national support line for CSRs to call me and to ask questions to help them in handling calls from a patient who called them. Also, when a patient asks the CSR to speak to a supervisor, I take those calls as well. Yes, being in customer service means I do have to talk to angry people sometimes, but more often then not I can resolve their issue and help them. I like being able to help people get their medication and maximize the benefits they get from their insurance plan.

And FYI, just because I work there that does not mean that I support the current healthcare system we have in this country. I won't get into politics, but please consider that mine may differ than those of the CEO of my company. In my position, I get to be a part of the solution and resolve problems. It's a good job and it has great, low-cost benefits. And in the past year it's been better than ever...

A year ago, I started working from home! My company set up a work station in our spare bedroom. Everything I need is there: my work computer system, work phone, etc. It all closes up in a cabinet that locks up when I get off work. And the company had a second cable line installed in our home specifically for my work equipment, so my work internet connection and digital phone all come through that 2nd line and I never see that bill. I get to attend virtual meetings and trainings (conference calls with a web page that the person running the meeting can control what is viewed on our screens - web pages, documents, power point presentations, whatever).

The only time I actually have to drive into the call center is when I have a power outage or cable connectivity problem. I have only had to drive into the call center 4 times in the past year. That has saved a bunch on gas, so working at home is like getting a raise in of iteself. But I love being able to sleep in until 15 minutes before work, get up, make coffee, and start working. I work in my pajamas. I can skip a shower until during my lunch or break or after work. I really love the fact that at the end of my day, I close down my work system, lock up my work cabinet, and then it's instantly, "Honey, I'm home." OK, in reality I get off work before my wife gets home, and she gets off 15 minutes before me. :-)

I cannot risk accessing non-work-related sites on my work computer because they can tap in and see what I'm doing on my screen at any time. The good news is, my wife's personal computer (on our own personal cable line) is right beside my work station. So I am right now typing this post from my wife's computer during work (in between calls) and my company cannot see what I'm doing. Of course my availability to view and post on this forum during my work day varies greatly from day to day and hour to hour, depending on how busy we are at any given time. Some times I will start a post and not be able to finish it until hours later.

I work first shift hours Monday through Friday here in the eastern time zone. I also have a personal home computer that is downstairs in my finished basement that I sometimes use to view and post here at nights and on weekends.

I know I'm long-winded (long-typed?). Of course, your replies to this post may be one or two sentences. That's ok. :-)

I have been unemployed since May 25, 2004.

Essentially, I am one of the "successes" of the Bush Administration's attempt to destroy the world economy as there simply has been ZERO work to be found in my immediate region which then moved into people trying to just make sort sort of "survival" income at anything at all until they couldn't keep up with the mortgage which eventually led to the Wall Street Crash we suffered.

Hopefully, as people start to realize that retaining good jobs in America is vital to the economy's well being (thus striving to force emigrated jobs to return), I'll finally be able to find work.

As to when I post?

Anytime really.

With no demands upon my time, I find myself checking the forums at least twice a day.

Cool Kalzazz. Would you care to mention what field/course of study/degree you are working on? If not that's cool too.

My bad college advisors, who thought I should be molded into their own form and become another math professor, urged me to go strait into graduate school after I got my B.S. However, I had amassed about $25,000 in debt over the course of my 5 years in college, so I thought I should start working to pay that down as opposed to adding to that. Plus my interests have changed over the years and I'm not so interested in working in the field of mathematics anymore.

A couple years ago I finally paid off all my debt (except car payment), but now I'm married and going to try to start having kids soon, so this doesn't seem to be a good time to go back to school, even part time. so maybe I never will. If I did, it would probably be a complete 180 than my undergraduate degree, like mythology/archeaology, etc.

I work for a medical billing company. Like you, Whill, I'm not supposed to be doing non-work related stuff on the computer at work. I do have internet access, but they can see what I'm doing so no surfing during the day for me. I only access this site after work when I get home...in my home office.

I work as System Administrator/Programmer Analysis for a hospital in NYC. I pretty much do most of my surfing from home or from my laptop, but have on occassion answered a few post from my work machine. I won't get into too much trouble since I work my ass off for them, a little pleasure throughout the day is encourage so I do not lose my mind.

I have been a radio journalist for many years, most times as a news editor and host. When times turned hard for the german media after the internet crisis, I trained for PR-Management and went freelance. End of september I finished a long-time project for a real-estate-company.

In October times have been somewhat tough, because three customers I was counting on postponed or cancelled their plans. I am considering now going back into media as a freelancer. Ironically, while the economy as a whole is taking a down-turn, the media seems to be recovering from its long-time crisis. This is the 21st century, every once in a while you have to re-invent yourself. So, I had a lot of spare-time last month but I hope this will not be the case in November.

I am working from home, so I can access the internet any time I want without anybody looking over my shoulder. As my work is more about crafting ideas than actual typing, I use various techniques to set creativity free including taking long walks and visiting coffee bars where I write down my thoughts on paper in an old-fashioned way (typing it into PC later on is an excellent way to think those idea through again, which often leads to new ideas).

And of course, there are a lot of meetings with customers, though I have the feeling that for the last three years, meetings are more and more replaced by conversation via e-mail. One of those potential customers who cancelled her plans, I haven't even met yet, but we had a lot of in-depth discussion via e-mail. Maybe it would have been harder for her to cancel her plans if we had met in real. When talking face-to-face people tend to give more insight in the problems than via e-mail. Maybe, if I had known of the problems, I would have been able to solve them, as this is part of my job.

And of course, I have to go to many events, those I helped bring to live and others too, just to hold contact and find new customers. So, it is never predictable when I will have time to go online. This is the reason I haven't participated in play-by-mail-games (and if you haven't guessed yet, I try to avoid abbreviations to be sure not to be misunderstood).

I'm currently operations supervisor for the Very Long Baseline Array radio telescopes, a position I was promoted to earlier this year. Additional responsibilities on top of that were dropped on me last month which now leaves me with much less spare time at work, so currently I'm limited to doing most of my websurfing and forum reading from home in the evenings and on weekends.

I am currently 35 minutes out side of Philadelphia and I work in the IT industry doing various kinds of jobs in the field.

I really would like to change careers as computers are a hobby and career and I would like to go back to having computers as just a hobby.

Besides the whole industry is weird right now and not what I would call stable. Where only jobs like Tech support used to outsourced now I see network admin and other jobs outsourced.

Besides I am ready to do something else.

I'm currently operations supervisor for the Very Long Baseline Array radio telescopes, a position I was promoted to earlier this year.

Congrats on your promotion, Jim. I'm very interested in astronomy so I am impressed by your job.

I work in the IT industry doing various kinds of jobs in the field.

I really would like to change careers as computers are a hobby and career and I would like to go back to having computers as just a hobby.

Besides the whole industry is weird right now and not what I would call stable. Where only jobs like Tech support used to outsourced now I see network admin and other jobs outsourced.

Besides I am ready to do something else.

GG, I'm impressed by anyone who is good with computers. Good luck on the job hunt/career change though.

Where only jobs like Tech support used to outsourced now I see network admin and other jobs outsourced.

The entire accumulated wealth of the last 200 years of the United States is in the process of being outsourced.

While in college, I was either going to take Astronomy/Computer Science as a major or Physics/Computer Science.

Sorry put I ended up with Physics as my major. But Astronomy is still close to my heart, in fact I was just reading Astronomy and Sky and Telescope while heading to work today on the train.

Pointless email. Lol.

Astronomy is awesome! I took a course back in college that made me so jazzed for astronomy. Just last night I stood outside just staring up at the beautiful, huge, star filled sky thinking how amazing it was.

Too bad you can't get your foot in the door on some astonomy related job.

Up until last year, I was a Communications-Information Systems Officer in the Air Force for 12 years.

I was honorably discharged and started a new career in April as an IT Manager for a chemical manufacturing company in Upstate NY. I usually check into the forums both at home and at work, but I don't post anything unless it's on my lunch break. ;)

Up until last year, I was a Communications-Information Systems Officer in the Air Force for 12 years.

I was honorably discharged and started a new career in April as an IT Manager for a chemical manufacturing company in Upstate NY. I usually check into the forums both at home and at work, but I don't post anything unless it's on my lunch break. ;)

Do you feel what you learn translates well over to the private sector? Or not so much

Do you feel what you learn translates well over to the private sector? Or not so much

My skills translated over quite well. But that's because I was essentially an IT Manager in the Air Force. Leading server install projects, software upgrades, definiting requirements, system design, etc. I'm learning SAP now, so it's a new system for me. But my company hired me more because they know I have good leadership skills and I'm not a slacker after having been an officer in the Air Force. (Having a Master's Degree doesn't hurt, either.) ;)

My skills translated over quite well. But that's because I was essentially an IT Manager in the Air Force. Leading server install projects, software upgrades, definiting requirements, system design, etc. I'm learning SAP now, so it's a new system for me. But my company hired me more because they know I have good leadership skills and I'm not a slacker after having been an officer in the Air Force. (Having a Master's Degree doesn't hurt, either.) ;)

Well cool, good luck to you.