D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Ryue359

Special ability / power restriction - decreasing attributes/skills

Hi

I'm relatively new to using D6 and did a few test games, before I went down the way to modify/create my own version of D6 (aka creating a game system that is using open D6 as core/base).

Now atm I'm trying to design a supernatural race which has a unique power. To come back from the dead with a downside attached to it. Namely that they grow weaker when they do so.

At its base I used immortality special ability (7 cp) from the open d6 core rules.

With that I'm quite happy (modified it a bit so that the resurrection is not instant and there are some ways to kill those who have this power).

So I ruled they come back within 3d6 days with 1 body point remaining and no wounds of any kinds on their bodies (thus all limbs back where they belong again). I added +2 cp there for that.

What I'm not so sure about though is the penalty of this power going active. Especially when it comes to the system paradigms.

In the horror systems I normally play in (as vampire, demon,....) or high supernatural games (gods) when something has the ability to come back then they permanently loose 1 point from their power stat. But there the whole system supports this and is built around that. Here I'm just not sure if such a thing is fitting.

Thus I'm currently contemplating which of 2 variants would be more fitting for D6:

1.) Whenever that being comes back it looses 1 pip of its extranormal attribute permanently. (5 CP limitation - based on burn out disadvantage with 1/2 of 9 points for the modified immortality)

2.) Whenever that being comes back it looses 1 pip of its extranormal attribute for 1 week. (2 CP limitation)

Now my questions are here:

1.) Would the first variant be fitting for D6? Or would it be more like variant 2? Or does it not matter at all?

2.) Are the point costs I took as base there fitting? (the +2 for healing all wounds and recovering to 1 bp and also the ones for the limitation)?

Thanks kindly

Thus I'm currently contemplating which of 2 variants would be more fitting for D6:

1.) Whenever that being comes back it looses 1 pip of its extranormal attribute permanently. (5 CP limitation - based on burn out disadvantage with 1/2 of 9 points for the modified immortality)

2.) Whenever that being comes back it looses 1 pip of its extranormal attribute for 1 week. (2 CP limitation)

Now my questions are here:

1.) Would the first variant be fitting for D6? Or would it be more like variant 2? Or does it not matter at all?

2.) Are the point costs I took as base there fitting? (the +2 for healing all wounds and recovering to 1 bp and also the ones for the limitation)?

Thanks kindly

1) I think either variant would work. (I'm curious - for variant 1, are you considering a permanent loss to their maximum Extranormal die code, or just a loss of the current code that can be "bought back" with Character Points later?) It really depends on how you want it to play out according to the fluff of your game setting, and I can't really think of a precedent for something similar in D6 off the top of my head.

2) Your math sounds solid there. Honestly, you can always tweak things to feel balanced to you - some of the customization mechanics are more guidelines than hard rules, in my experience.

I think, to better fit in with D6, rather than putting a "maximum" and reducing it upon each reincarnation, you make it more and more difficult to advance the character with each version of themselves.

So a person that is on their first version is just like a regular character for skill advancement.

But once they die and come back, now they have to pay +1 more to do what they used to in order to advance.

They die again, and come back, well now they have to pay +2 more than normal.

Third death, now everything is +3 more expensive.

This is for skills and and attributes! So while they get the benefit of always being able to come back alive, they have the drawback that it's more difficult for them to learn things. It doesn't "reduce" anything of theirs, it just makes it more difficult for them to get up to a high level of skill.

That provides some negative feedback, so to speak, for dying too much. Plus, you can weirdly track how much a character has died based on their penalty. A character is at +7, that means they have died and come back to life 7 times. But advancing from 2D to 2D+1 in a skill now costs them 9 Character Points instead of the usual 2.

I think, to better fit in with D6, rather than putting a "maximum" and reducing it upon each reincarnation, you make it more and more difficult to advance the character with each version of themselves.

So a person that is on their first version is just like a regular character for skill advancement.

But once they die and come back, now they have to pay +1 more to do what they used to in order to advance.

They die again, and come back, well now they have to pay +2 more than normal.

Third death, now everything is +3 more expensive.

This is for skills and and attributes! So while they get the benefit of always being able to come back alive, they have the drawback that it's more difficult for them to learn things. It doesn't "reduce" anything of theirs, it just makes it more difficult for them to get up to a high level of skill.

That provides some negative feedback, so to speak, for dying too much. Plus, you can weirdly track how much a character has died based on their penalty. A character is at +7, that means they have died and come back to life 7 times. But advancing from 2D to 2D+1 in a skill now costs them 9 Character Points instead of the usual 2.

cool idea

the adder before or after multipliers?

If things are multiplied, such as attributes, the cost is added BEFORE multiplying!

Unless you find that too costly, then put it after. But my gut says put it before multiplying.