D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
nethru666

MiniSix Dark Sun

So I've had the itch to try and convert Dark Sun setting to Mini Six and think this is a good start. I did use material from a few different books (Breachworld, MightySix and Scarrpot Conversion) to flesh it out and the base file was from the person who converted Scarrport (big thanks!)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44967224/MiniSix%20Dark%20Sun.pdf

Let me know thoughts or some things you think can be fixed. I was trying to keep it as simple as possible but still have that Dark Sun feel.

Looks interesting. I'm not real well versed on the Dark Sun setting, but it looks like you put a fair amount of work into this. Thanks for sharing!

Hopefully someone with more experience with Dark Sun will be able to comment on what they think.

From what I remember of Dark Sun, it seems to work on the face of it (I liked the simple way that you handled Defiler Magic).

The only problem that I had with it is that it reminded me how much I liked the Dark Sun setting and how much I had forgotten about it. ;)

Do you intend to do anything more with this, or just leave it as you have it: a kind of quick play guide for characters in the setting?

I agree, it looks fun. I'm only passingly familiar with Dark Sun, unfortunately, but I have a few thoughts / questions after a quick skim:

You show no special penalty for elementalists getting a 1 on the wild die when casting (the other special power characters have a penalty here) - is there an in-universe reason for this, or are you expecting that the smaller spell lists for these characters will help balance it out.

I'm interested in how adding +1D to damage per 5 result points on an attack works out. I accidentally tried this (misread the rules) when I first starting running D6 Fantasy and combat was way deadlier than I anticipated, but that might be perfect if you want things grittier. Is this a standard MiniSix rule?

The defiling boost/penalty doesn't seem very high. From my understanding of the lore, the wasteland setting is due to a lot of defiling magic, right? I couldn't see that many mages destroying the planet for +1 bonuses on spellcasting, and there isn't much to tempt a player to do it at the high social cost. If you're worried about players abusing the defiling boost, maybe eliminate it, but make the penalties for not defiling very prohibitive?

For Wild Talents, having a roll of 1 be nothing could be a little boring or unbalanced. It could be a little disheartening to be the only PC in a group without anything from this. Maybe make a 1 just a mundane advantage, like an extra starting skill die or hero point?

Just some input, use it however you like. Sound interesting wherever you go with it. If you get a game going, let us know how it went.

I unfortunately don't know squat about DarkSun, so I don't have much productive to say. I played D&D forever but only know the bits of DarkSun that were in AD&D originally. I like that you didn't try to totally reinvent everything, make it look like Dark Sun and feel like Dark Sun but stay MiniSix. Having worked forever on multiple D6 ideas I am a little envious of the simplicity :)

For Wild Talents, having a roll of 1 be nothing could be a little boring or unbalanced. It could be a little disheartening to be the only PC in a group without anything from this. Maybe make a 1 just a mundane advantage, like an extra starting skill die or hero point?

I thought they looked cool and would suggest you spread the table out with more entries (even if it's not canonical for DarkSun). If you made the roll 2D instead, you would also have more room to play with the probability for "no event" as well.

Thanks for posting this!

Thanks for all the feedback! I've made quite a bit of changes since the original file in the below link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uooooob76vt8u8k/MiniSix%20Dark%20Sun.pdf

I'll try to answer some questions in order as I saw them.

You show no special penalty for elementalists getting a 1 on the wild die when casting (the other special power characters have a penalty here) - is there an in-universe reason for this, or are you expecting that the smaller spell lists for these characters will help balance it out.

Elementalist never really had any downside to them in the game world that's why I didn't put a penalty on them for rolling 1 like the other caster classes. They do have a smaller spell list. I may make it if you roll a 1 it's auto failure of the spell.

The defiling boost/penalty doesn't seem very high. From my understanding of the lore, the wasteland setting is due to a lot of defiling magic, right? I couldn't see that many mages destroying the planet for +1 bonuses on spellcasting, and there isn't much to tempt a player to do it at the high social cost. If you're worried about players abusing the defiling boost, maybe eliminate it, but make the penalties for not defiling very prohibitive?

I increased the Defiling power boost to +3. I was thinking of +5 but that may really unbalance the wizard class with their powers especially if they want to do a power boost to increase the damage of a spell. I did think about giving no boost for defiling but I do want to tempt wizards into doing it for the extra power *evil gm* (thoughts?)

I'm interested in how adding +1D to damage per 5 result points on an attack works out. I accidentally tried this (misread the rules) when I first starting running D6 Fantasy and combat was way deadlier than I anticipated, but that might be perfect if you want things grittier. Is this a standard MiniSix rule?

I havn't actually tested this yet but yes it should make things a lot more dangerous and initiative very important. It will be using the standard minisix combat rules with static defenses.

I thought they looked cool and would suggest you spread the table out with more entries (even if it's not canonical for DarkSun). If you made the roll 2D instead, you would also have more room to play with the probability for "no event" as well.

I had a hard time deciding the wild talents section. I did think doing 2D6 may work. I"ll have to go through the original rule book again and see what's listed there and probably re-work it. I do like to have a wider range of options there and instead of doing No Talent for the roll of 1 make it an extra skill die! THANKS!

I do plan on running a play by post game to try the setting rules out and tweak them as I go if anyone is interested. Have 1-2 spots left.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

So the list was HUGE in the original Psionist Handbook so i picked a few more and added to the file. so now 2D6 roll for wild talents and roll of 1 for Elementalist is auto failure of the spell no matter what they roll.

Added a few more powers and changed the exceptional success to 10 over not 5. I think 5 would make it to easy to get those exceptional successes and getting all that extra damage or special affects all the time is no fun.

Made penalty a little harsher (not to much) to be a preserver and kept the +3 for defiling. so there is a 5 point gap minimum between preserving vs defiling. I like having defiling give a boost since your sucking the life from the land to fuel your power.

Thanks for all the feedback! I've made quite a bit of changes since the original file in the below link.

Elementalist never really had any downside to them in the game world that's why I didn't put a penalty on them for rolling 1 like the other caster classes. They do have a smaller spell list. I may make it if you roll a 1 it's auto failure of the spell.

That could work, but you don't really need a penalty if you don't want one for balancing or to add a fun risk to their casting. This one is really up to personal preference and the setting (which, admittedly, I'm not up to snuff on).

I increased the Defiling power boost to +3. I was thinking of +5 but that may really unbalance the wizard class with their powers especially if they want to do a power boost to increase the damage of a spell. I did think about giving no boost for defiling but I do want to tempt wizards into doing it for the extra power *evil gm* (thoughts?)

This sounds like a good starting bonus to me. +3 is more or less the same as having an extra die in your skill while casting, which should be pretty tempting, without automatically letting a defiler succeed at a whole difficulty level lower (which you'd get with +5). From my understanding of the setting, as a GM, I'd definitely want it to be just enough that a PC mage would be tempted to do it with most tests, but only risk it for really vital ones. I think this would hit that sweet spot.

I had a hard time deciding the wild talents section. I did think doing 2D6 may work. I"ll have to go through the original rule book again and see what's listed there and probably re-work it. I do like to have a wider range of options there and instead of doing No Talent for the roll of 1 make it an extra skill die! THANKS!

The wider selection is definitely nice, I was wondering if you'd wind up with doubles or triples with the shorter table. A quick thought - if you're doing 2D6 for the table, results will be skewed slightly towards the middle, so you'll be getting more results in the 5-9 range and fewer for 2 and 12 (not sure if you anticipated this or not).

Added a few more powers and changed the exceptional success to 10 over not 5. I think 5 would make it to easy to get those exceptional successes and getting all that extra damage or special affects all the time is no fun.

Yeah, 5 result points come up a a LOT, in my experience - about half of the successful checks at my table make it by 5 or more.

I was doing +1D/5 Result Points for the damage bonus when I started with D6 Fantasy, and I had a couple combat focused player characters that routinely succeeded by 15 or more against common NPCs. For story reasons, they really didn't care for the regional authorities, so there a few sessions that included a slaughter of the town guard and a subsequent flight from persecution. Like I said, I didn't expect the combat to be that deadly (I was used to the flow in WEG Star Wars from past experience), but its a nice fit if you want less cinematic fights.

I'd love to try the game out, as I'm not getting my time in the player seat lately and I've never been able to take a spin through Dark Sun, but my schedule just won't allow it, unfortunately. I'll look forward to anything you have the opportunity to post on here, though!

Few updates.

Changed the Wild Talent table to be 4d6 which chance to have a boost to a power, chance to get 2 powers but with penalty and if you roll 4 1's you just get psychic resistance.

Added some more rules for Defiling. Corruption! The path to becoming a defiler is not always a good thing and you gain tainted aura if you fall.

Added a wizard only power Drain Life (Got the idea from re-reading the Prism Pentad) where you can use life force energy from living creatures to power your spells (not defiling the land).

I still have room in the Play by Post game i'm going to be running send me PM if interested. Hasn't started yet.

Changed the Wild Talent table to be 4d6 which chance to have a boost to a power, chance to get 2 powers but with penalty and if you roll 4 1's you just get psychic resistance.

Seems like a good idea... I don't know how consistent it is with DS but I have used a table like this in the D6 fantasy setting I have put together. It's actually cool to have a random gen thing like this... gives players a little drama when building characters :)

I'm thinking of changing elementalist rules a bit. Give them full access to every spell under their chosen element and basic ones but only limit the # of spells they can cast a day but can increase that # by spending CP since they have no real drawback for rolling a 1 on wild die.

This will make it a bit more D&D like where they don't have to buy spells just as they get more powerful they can cast more per day.

Will probably leave Wizards/Psions as they are though. Wizards will be more like sorcerers don't want to use the Mage Book in my game anyhow and they both have some kind of drawback for rolling 1's.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking of changing elementalist rules a bit. Give them full access to every spell under their chosen element and basic ones but only limit the # of spells they can cast a day but can increase that # by spending CP since they have no real drawback for rolling a 1 on wild die.

This will make it a bit more D&D like where they don't have to buy spells just as they get more powerful they can cast more per day.

Will probably leave Wizards/Psions as they are though. Wizards will be more like sorcerers don't want to use the Mage Book in my game anyhow and they both have some kind of drawback for rolling 1's.

Thoughts?

Sounds like it would work to me.

If you wanted to simplify things, maybe limit the number of spells they can prepare or cast for each day based on the dice in their spellcasting skill, so they get more spells as this gets raised? I think it'd cut down on the bookkeeping and character point costs for advancement., but you wouldn't have the option of having high versatility/low power and high power/low versatility elementalists. Just an idea.

This is what I came up with. I changed Wizards to be more like D&D. I do like the idea of having a Book with their spells the more I think about it. I remember back in the day if a wizard ever lost their book they were doomed!

Starting Spells/Slots

Each realm of magic has their own method of gaining new spells/slots.

Elementalist: Elementalist knows every spell in the list but is limited to a number of spells they may cast per day via daily devotions to the elements. They start out with (1 + 1 x Number of Skill Points) spent in spell slots per day. Ex: Spend 2 skill points on magic you have 3 spells per day. They regain spell slots back after rest. Elementalist gain more spell slots at a cost of 2CP per slot.

Wizards: Wizards are not limited to the number of spells they know as long as they have access to Tomes or a teacher. A Wizard stores their spells in a spell book and has the mental ability to cast a set number of spells per day from memorization. Learning new spells does not cost any CP but may cost gold to acquire the material/tome, etc... They start out with (1 + 2 x Number of Skill Points) spent in spell slots per day. Ex: Spend 2 skill points on magic you have 5 spells per day. They start out with 1 + 1 spells per Skill Point spent at creation. Ex: Spend 2 skill points on magic you have 3 spells known at start. Wizards gain more spell slots at a cost of 2CP per slot.

Psions: Psions must learn their new powers via CP spending and may use their powers any number of times throughout the day (2CP per power). They start out with 1 + 1 power per Skill Point spent at creation.

Added new perk for Head Adaption and rules for Heat Exhaustion. let me know if you think they are to harsh. Trying to keep the rules not to complex but still feel like original dark sun.

Added Channelling rules for casters so for those harder to cast spells they can do it over time but if they are hit the spell is interrupted.

Changed defiling to be +2D on magic roll.

Added new perk Armor Optimization which reduces the initiative penalty by -1 for armor wearing.