D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Green Dragon

Judge Master Maneuver (Martial Arts)

By the book: Spend 1P, roll as per Weakness Probe (Minor Maneuver) Learn:

The Difficulty of the skill check he just rolled - i.e. the target's skill value.

Really? For a Possibility, they don't get anything else? Not even the benefits of Weakness Probe? At best - if using House Rules, such as mine, where the character has 1 Maneuver per Add, AND Initiative is based on AGI (DEX in standard) not the cards, the user can determine Skill Adds, and thus know how many maneuvers the target has.

I would suggest that either the P cost be removed. Or the Maneuver give an Improved version of Weakness Probe in addition to the Target's skill (bonus to attack or defense - either a fixed value for the duration of this combat, or a single use level of success bonus).

Or that the check act as a sort of Scholar:Martial Arts, and reveal what Maneuvers the target knows. Or some combination thereof.

Has anyone else made a modification to Judge?

Side note: I looked at the Tokyo MA Styles again. None of them exist real world, and all the names are nonsensical. They should all have prerequisites/requirements (at least one, most two, and some 3). And none have any setting context. They exist to contain at least one maneuver from the new maneuvers in that book.

Has anyone done anything to change this?

I'm thinking the nonsense names could suggest Marketplace origins, but haven't looked closely enough to supply Requirements.

In the martial arts rewrite on my website I changed Judge to where each success level would reveal a discipline that the target knows. ("Ah! From his footwork and arm movements I can tell that my opponent knows the Southern Tall Crane style up to the third minor discipline!")

I also redid a lot of the Tokyo book's material because you're right, a lot of reworking was needed.

Ah, thanks. Heading over there for a look see now.

Update:

I compared it to Thunder Kick (also costs 1P, and does STR+6, Knockdown, Knockback, and Normal Surprise). And combined your modification with a slightly changed Weakness Probe:

Judge: this maneuver allows a martial artist to determine just how skilled his opponent is in combat. As in the weakness probe, the martial artist must spend a round studying her opponent (no actions other than dodge are allowed in this round). At the end of the round, the martial artist generates a Perception plus Martial Arts adds total against a difficulty number equal to the target's unarmed combat or martial arts skill values (if the target has neither of those skills, use his Agility instead).

If the attempt to judge is successful, on a minimal success the martial artist learns the relevant skill value of his opponent, and – if the target possesses Martial Arts, which style (if the style is one he could be aware of – one from an alien cosm would not be recognizable by name). For each additional level of success the martial artist knows one maneuver the target knows. On a Superior or better, this includes the highest maneuver. The martial artist may make a Scholar:Martial Arts check to recall the full details of the style (as a separate action).

Additionally, the martial artist gains the benefits of Weakness Probe (+1 to action value and +1 to damage value (+3 for a Strike), but this bonus lasts for one round per level of success.

Each use of judge costs one Possibility.

I also made some changes to the Tokyo Martial Arts Styles, making them Marketplace Styles that were imported. This explains a Aikuchi being named after a type of scabbard, but being a Bow Style - the names don't have to make sense to Core Earthers, since they evolved on Marketplace.

Also included are a few alternate corporate ninja styles.

Aikuchi

A combat style that favors ranged combat, and keen eyesight, as well as brutal close combat.

1. Felling The Oak

2. Palm Strike

3. Stone Fist

4. Hip Toss

5. Spring Attack

6. Whirling Attack

7. Bow Master

8. Eye Of The Hawk

Requirements: Practitioners must learn acrobatics, find and meditation.

Kongorikishi (Ombestu Kickboxing)

Practiced by the native peoples of Ombetsu for centuries prior to the rise of the megacorps, Kongorikishi is a combat style focused on leaps and kicks.

1. Spinning Kick

2. Leaping Kick

3. Sacrifice Kick

4. Kick Disarm

5. Sweeping Kick

6. Knife Hand

7. Jump

8. Cyclone Attack

Requirements: practitioners must learn acrobatics and long jumping.

Mikami

A style that originated on Sebat, Mikami is said to have been taught to the first masters by the spirits themselves.

1. Entangle

2. Ki Punch

3. Missile Dodge

4. Stunning Attack

5. Dagger Dance

6. Missile Master

7. Healing

8. Power Shout

Requirements: Originally, this style was only taught to the faithful, today it only requires practitioners to learn meditation.

Ninjitsu

There are as many styles of “Ninjitsu” as there are Ninja Clans. The style depicted in the Nippon-Tech Realmbook is an amalgam of various Core Earth clans styles. What follows are the five major styles employed by the Corporate Ninja of Marketplace.

Asuga Ninjitsu

A slight variation on Earth Ninjitsu, with more emphasis on offense over deception.

1. Block/Strike

2. Lightning Fist

3. Sacrifice Kick

4. Fade

5. Stone Fist

6. Invisibility

7. Weapon Master

8. Power Shout

Requirements: as Ninjitsu

Kubaicho Ninjitsu

As an entertainment and news megacorp, Kubaicho relies on agents who can get information, pictures, etc. that no one else has. This allows them to remain number one in the industry – and provides useful blackmail. Their style is little changed, but focuses more on observation than combat.

1. Block/Strike

2. Lightning Fist

3. Stunning Attack

4. Weakness Probe

5. Felling the Oak

6. Invisibility

7. Bow Master

8. Eye of the Hawk

Requirements: as Ninjitsu, plus Find.

Many Kubaicho ninja master the use of the Compound Bow, and employ armor-piercing, or HEAP (High-Explosive Armor-Piercing) arrows.

Improved Compound Bow

T24 STR+7/25 R3-10/100/250 Laser Sight (TH+1) 30cr/Y8350 /$250

HEAP Arrows +9/27, Armor -3, Cost +2

Misaki Ninjitsu

Misaki ninja rely less on offensive ability and more on subtlety and misdirection. Some assume identities close to a target for months before making their move. Like Kubaicho, Misaki also uses corporate ninja for espionage over assassination.

1. Block/Strike

2. Spring Attack

3. Stunning Attack

4. Feint

5. Felling the Oak

6. Detect Lie

7. Weapon Master

8. True Invisibility

Requirements: as Ninjitsu, plus Disguise.

Shori Ninjitsu

Shori ninja strike hard and strike fast, concerning themselves with stealth only as a last resort.

1. Block/Strike

2. Instant Up

3. Stunning Attack

4. Heart Punch

5. Felling the Oak

6. Whirlwind Attack

7. Weapon Master

8. True Invisibility

Requirements: as Ninjitsu

Ursan Ninjitsu

One of the oldest styles still in use on Marketplace, Ursan Style was originally known as Mikoto during the ancient wars. Arguably Ursan has the deadliest ninja in the cosm – one more reason for their rise to the top.

1. Block/Strike

2. Weakness Probe

3. Lightning Fist

4. Drop Kick

5. Dragon Flight

6. Sword Master

7. Invisibility

8. Death Touch

Requirements: As Ninjitsu.

Sokanto

Popular among Ronin, Sokanto is another good CQB style.

1. Shoulder Throw

2. Ki Punch

3. Serpent's Coils

4. Fade

5. Heart Punch

6. Resist Damage

7. Spirit Shout

8. Judge

Requirements: practitioners must learn deduction and meditation.