D6 Online 3.0
Green Dragon

Performing Miracles in a Very Low Spirit Axiom

As some may recall, I've incorporated Bloodshadows into my TORG campaign (by renaming Marl as Nolava, home of Basjas and the Gaunt Man's second conquest).

Bloodshadows has potent magic but no miracles. Somebody had done a write-up of Bloodshadows as a TORG setting and had set the Spirit Axiom as 0. I've since realized it must be a 1, since they have the concept of gods and religions. But it requires a minimum of 2 for miracles to be possible at all.

So what happens if:

1) Ord Core Earth priest in a Dominant Zone? Can he call upon the divine at all? Only to affect himself? As normal, so long as he doesn't roll a 1-case?

2) P-Rated CE priest in a Dominant Zone? Pure Zone? With a Talisman or Reality Bubble?

I would assume that the local realities need to not have any overt, visible sign of divine power would supercede the cleric's ability to call upon it. Since the majority of the people around the cleric (Community?) actively don't believe it should work that way.

I skimmed the Reality and Miracles chapters of R&E but couldn't find a ruling. But then again, I missed the part where stormer mages can still cast spells in the Living Land for years.

So I officially have reached the point of needing an answer. The best I, and my crack team of players, have found is that it would be a long-range contradiction to perform a miracle that isn't self or touch.

But I'm still uncertain, can gods even send divine power into such a low Spirit axiom in the first place? Can they actually hear the prayers in order to respond? Or does the mere act of reaching out to the Divine in such a reality constitute a contradiction, even if the cleric is inside a reality bubble while doing it?

As long as it is only a dominant zone, the CE priest can still attempt his miracles as per the regular contradiction rules. Self and Touch range miracles are one-cases, others would be LRCs. Just because all miracles are contradictions does not make them bigger contradictions than normal. As long as the CE priest hasn't disconnected he is still connected to his mythos through his connection to his home reality.

In a pure zone the miracle, as a contradiction, is of course automatically foiled by the Everlaw of One, however you choose to handle that (I know there are people who disagree with the R&E's explanation for how it's handled.)

A reality bubble would stop Self miracles from being a contradiction but Touch and ranged miracles would not receive any benefit from that.

A talisman, depending on the size of the field it projects, might allow even ranged miracles to be performed without contradiction though if the miracle has a duration a target that leaves the talisman's area of effect would then have to deal with it becoming a contradiction.

(Sorry for not answering earlier, first opportunity that I've had in weeks to read my forums.)

Related question: The Focus skill is a contradiction, but what about the miracle itself? Should recipients or community (anyone rolling Faith as a part of the prayer or ritual) also be subject to contradiction checks, or LRC?

I, too, am glad to see you here, Jim. One option, rather than checking every few weeks to see if something was posted:

If you're looking at the Torg forum (with a list of threads), click on "Forum Tools" in the upper right. That will allow you to "subscribe" to the whole forum.

Once subscribed, you can chose to receive emails whenever a post goes up.

Cheers! : )

Related question: The Focus skill is a contradiction, but what about the miracle itself? Should recipients or community (anyone rolling Faith as a part of the prayer or ritual) also be subject to contradiction checks, or LRC?

Generally the person(s) providing the Faith which powers the miracle is also subject to contradiction checks. (If the priest is providing both it's just one contradiction check, not two.) I thought that was mentioned in the R&E but can't remember for certain.

I did a writeup of Bloodshadows as a Torg Reality and, as noted, it has a Spirit of 1. I'd be interested in comparing it to the one you found.

http://stormknights.arcanearcade.com/rulebites/bloodshadows.html

Ah, that was where I got it from. I've been meaning to look that up. I'm considering posting my 8 page mini-realmbook on the Nolava (read Bloodshadows/Marl) realm from my game. I've used your axioms and world laws, with perhaps a couple sentences of change or addition. Do you mind if I post?

Ah, that was where I got it from. I've been meaning to look that up. I'm considering posting my 8 page mini-realmbook on the Nolava (read Bloodshadows/Marl) realm from my game. I've used your axioms and world laws, with perhaps a couple sentences of change or addition. Do you mind if I post?

Please. : ) I'd love to see what you came up with.